SeaMonkey images - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey images - Mozilla ; Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images? How can I contact this person? Thanks, /HJ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. SeaMonkey images

    Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?
    How can I contact this person?

    Thanks,
    /HJ

  2. Re: SeaMonkey images

    On 02/28/2006 02:32 PM HJ wrote:
    > Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?

    "created by Alex Butin"
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/artwork.html

    > How can I contact this person?

    Write a mail to the Seamonkey Council, I would guess. The will tell
    you about it. Or wait if one of them answers here.

    OJ
    --
    "The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the
    top 10%." (Douglas Adams, 1952-2001)

  3. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 02/28/2006 02:32 PM HJ wrote:
    >> Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?

    > "created by Alex Butin"
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/artwork.html
    >
    >> How can I contact this person?

    > Write a mail to the Seamonkey Council, I would guess. The will tell
    > you about it. Or wait if one of them answers here.

    Thanks.

    /HJ

  4. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ schrieb:
    > Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?
    > How can I contact this person?

    What do you need from him?
    We don't want to forward his address if we don't have to, so if you need
    to contact him, it's best to tell SeaMonkey Council
    what you'd need the contact for, then we
    may send you a contact if it's reasonable.

    Robert Kaiser

  5. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > HJ schrieb:
    >> Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?
    >> How can I contact this person?

    > What do you need from him?

    What do you think?

    > We don't want to forward his address if we don't have to, so if you need
    > to contact him, it's best to tell SeaMonkey Council
    > what you'd need the contact for, then we
    > may send you a contact if it's reasonable.

    What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it completely up to me to decide *if*
    and *when*to ask for his help!

    BTW: Thanks Alex!

    /HJ

  6. Re: SeaMonkey images

    On 03/01/2006 01:06 AM HJ wrote:

    > What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it completely up to me to decide *if*
    > and *when*to ask for his help!

    What a stupid reply ;-)

    I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    OJ
    --
    When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
    stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for

  7. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 03/01/2006 01:06 AM HJ wrote:
    >
    >> What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it is completely up to me to decide *if*
    >> and *when* to ask for his help!

    > What a stupid reply ;-)

    Why?

    > I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    > I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    from contacting other people in the Open Source community.

    /HJ

  8. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ wrote:
    > Johannes Kastl wrote:
    >
    >>On 03/01/2006 01:06 AM HJ wrote:
    >>

    >>>What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it is completely up to me to decide *if*
    >>>and *when* to ask for his help!

    >>What a stupid reply ;-)

    > Why?
    >

    >>I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    >>I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    > SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    > from contacting other people in the Open Source community.
    >
    > /HJ

    but the logo/images aren't open source

  9. Re: SeaMonkey images

    gwtc wrote:
    > HJ wrote:
    >> Johannes Kastl wrote:

    >>> What a stupid reply ;-)

    >> Why?
    >>

    >>> I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    >>> I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    >> SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    >> from contacting other people in the Open Source community.
    >>
    >> /HJ

    > but the logo/images aren't open source

    What has that got to do with contacting Alex?

    FYI: I received images from Alex, so I have nothing to do with the
    Mozilla Foundation, Mozilla Corporation or whatever.

    /HJ

  10. Re: SeaMonkey images

    On 03/01/2006 02:03 AM HJ wrote:

    > SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    > from contacting other people in the Open Source community.

    Do you know if the author wants his email to be given away? If it
    would have been on the artwork site, then it would be different.

    OJ
    --
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
    elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

  11. Re: SeaMonkey images

    gwtc wrote:
    > HJ wrote:
    >> Johannes Kastl wrote:

    >>> What a stupid reply ;-)

    >> Why?
    >>

    >>> I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    >>> I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    >> SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    >> from contacting other people in the Open Source community.
    >>
    >> /HJ

    > but the logo/images aren't open source

    Yes, they are: "Some versions of the logo and derived artwork are used
    in the mozilla.org CVS code repository and the final SeaMonkey
    application, and provided under the MPL/LGPL/GPL tri-license for that
    purpose."

    See also: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/artwork.html

    /HJ

  12. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ wrote:
    > Johannes Kastl wrote:
    >> On 03/01/2006 01:06 AM HJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it is completely up to me to
    >>> decide *if* and *when* to ask for his help!

    >> What a stupid reply ;-)

    > Why?
    >
    >> I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    >> I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    > SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    > from contacting other people in the Open Source community.
    >
    > /HJ

    They are not blocking your contact with someone, they are respecting the
    persons privacy.
    For all we know, he may have requested such of the SM Council, to avoid
    his (her?) email address from being published to all and sundry.

    Many contributors to open source products dont wish their email address
    to be published, for various reasons. Not every contributor to the
    project is 'known' to everyone, aside from those who regulate such
    things (as the SM council).

    Many people, for reasons of their own, wish to remain relatively
    anonymous, even when involved in a open source project. Respecting such
    is a good thing, regardless of how it impacts on your sensibilities.

    For all we know, the person who designed the logo is participating in
    this newsgroup, albeit under a different name.

  13. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > HJ wrote:
    >> Johannes Kastl wrote:

    >>> What a stupid reply ;-)

    >> Why?
    >>
    >>> I understand that the SM Council doesnt give away email adresses, but
    >>> I you had asked them the would have forwarded your message.

    >> SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block people
    >> from contacting other people in the Open Source community.
    >>
    >> /HJ

    > They are not blocking your contact with someone, they are respecting the
    > persons privacy.

    The question is if Alexandr ever asked for it.

    > For all we know, he may have requested such of the SM Council, to avoid
    > his (her?) email address from being published to all and sundry.

    His name was made public on the artwork page:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/artwork.html
    and his name appeared in several mozilla related blogs, on mozillaZine
    and other forums, so I don't think that is is reasonable to assume that
    Alexandr asked for something like that.

    > Many contributors to open source products dont wish their email address
    > to be published, for various reasons. Not every contributor to the
    > project is 'known' to everyone, aside from those who regulate such
    > things (as the SM council).
    > Many people, for reasons of their own, wish to remain relatively
    > anonymous, even when involved in a open source project.

    In that case, never put your resume on the internet, never use forums
    like this.

    > Respecting such
    > is a good thing, regardless of how it impacts on your sensibilities.

    My question, nor my replies, have anything to do with 'sensibilities'.

    > For all we know, the person who designed the logo is participating in
    > this newsgroup, albeit under a different name.

    Right, and using a fake e-mail address in this newsgroup is...

    /HJ

  14. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> HJ wrote:

    >>> Why?

    >>> SeaMonkey is an Open Source project so there's no need to block
    >>> people from contacting other people in the Open Source community.
    >>>
    >>> /HJ

    >> They are not blocking your contact with someone, they are respecting
    >> the persons privacy.

    > The question is if Alexandr ever asked for it.
    >
    >> For all we know, he may have requested such of the SM Council, to
    >> avoid his (her?) email address from being published to all and sundry.

    > His name was made public on the artwork page:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/artwork.html
    > and his name appeared in several mozilla related blogs, on mozillaZine
    > and other forums, so I don't think that is is reasonable to assume that
    > Alexandr asked for something like that.

    his NAME was made public, but not his email address... they are not the
    same thing. My name isnt moz.champion is it, but thats my email address.
    I dont usually post my name to things, I prefer to use diminutives and
    email addresses. You can also find me in other forums using the moniker
    Dantu - but always with a good email address. Some here may know me as
    Dan (its in my id now anyway) and may even know my real name, but thats
    okay by me.
    Everyone knows the Presidents name, but what about his private email
    address? Everyone knows Bill Gates name (or most people anyway) but
    whats his email address?
    Revealing a person's name does not mean you publish the means of
    contacting them. Most books list the author's name for example, but dont
    give out their address or email. Tho, you can usually contact the author
    by mail (or email) by sending it to the publisher, who will forward it
    to the author.

    Unless you are Alexander, you cannot assume he did or did not want his
    email published, from the evidence cited.

    >> Many contributors to open source products dont wish their email
    >> address to be published, for various reasons. Not every contributor to
    >> the project is 'known' to everyone, aside from those who regulate such
    >> things (as the SM council).
    >> Many people, for reasons of their own, wish to remain relatively
    >> anonymous, even when involved in a open source project.

    > In that case, never put your resume on the internet, never use forums
    > like this.

    Why? I post here, so whats my name? It isnt moz.champion tho that IS
    a valid email address. My resume isnt on the internet, I dont know if
    Alexanders is or not. Alexander may or may not post here, who knows who
    everyone really is?

    >> Respecting such is a good thing, regardless of how it impacts on your
    >> sensibilities.

    > My question, nor my replies, have anything to do with 'sensibilities'.

    Really? Its your statement that a person should not post to forums such
    as this if they want to remain anonymous, so tell me. Just what is my
    full name, and where do I live? Your sensibilities are ingrained, they
    are part of you, and you seem to have difficulty in accepting another
    viewpoint.

    >> For all we know, the person who designed the logo is participating in
    >> this newsgroup, albeit under a different name.

    > Right, and using a fake e-mail address in this newsgroup is...

    fake email address is one thing. my email IS moz.champion@sympatico.ca
    So, whats my name? It ISNT moz.champion
    My real name doesnt appear in any of my various email addresses, tho I
    always use a valid email address where-ever I go (or post). Without me
    telling you (or others) you wouldnt know my name. [It is listed on the
    internet anyway- so you can find it out]
    While that is the complete opposite of the situation with Alexander, its
    quite the same in effect. You know my contact addresses, but not my
    name. In Alexander's case, you know the name but not the contact addresses.

    Whats gwtc's name? What about Squaredancers name? Real Bev's name? They
    post here, and you know their contact address (email) but do you know
    their real name? You only know what they tell you.

    > /HJ

  15. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > HJ wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > his NAME was made public, but not his email address... they are not the
    > same thing.

    True, but that sure helped me to trace him.

    > My name isnt moz.champion is it, but thats my email address.

    I'm told that you are Dan Gall, but that info can be wrong of course.

    > Unless you are Alexander, you cannot assume he did or did not want his
    > email published, from the evidence cited.

    He doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and we e-mailed a couple of
    time already.

    >> In that case, never put your resume on the internet, never use forums
    >> like this.

    That is because you skipped a few steps. You need to connect things,
    like the info he puts on the Internet and his name on the Mozilla website

    > Why? I post here, so whats my name? It isnt moz.champion tho that IS
    > a valid email address. My resume isnt on the internet, I dont know if
    > Alexanders is or not. Alexander may or may not post here, who knows who
    > everyone really is?

    If you or anyone else want to fake his or her name, so be it.

    >> My question, nor my replies, have anything to do with 'sensibilities'.

    > Really? Its your statement that a person should not post to forums such
    > as this if they want to remain anonymous, so tell me. Just what is my
    > full name, and where do I live?

    Correct, because that might, and in this case did, take your privacy away.

    > Your sensibilities are ingrained, they
    > are part of you, and you seem to have difficulty in accepting another
    > viewpoint.

    Er, I don't have problems with that, but I do have my own opinion and a
    lot of people respect me.

    > fake email address is one thing. my email IS moz.champion@sympatico.ca

    I wasn't addressing *your* e-mail address but e-mail addresses in
    general. I do know that your e-mail address works because you've send me
    an e-mail, remember?

    > So, whats my name? It ISNT moz.champion
    > My real name doesnt appear in any of my various email addresses, tho I
    > always use a valid email address where-ever I go (or post). Without me
    > telling you (or others) you wouldnt know my name. [It is listed on the
    > internet anyway- so you can find it out]
    > While that is the complete opposite of the situation with Alexander, its
    > quite the same in effect. You know my contact addresses, but not my
    > name. In Alexander's case, you know the name but not the contact addresses.

    I call BS I do have his name, last name, phone number and even his address.

    > Whats gwtc's name? What about Squaredancers name? Real Bev's name? They
    > post here, and you know their contact address (email) but do you know
    > their real name? You only know what they tell you.

    Er, that's what you think, which is not mush as it seems.

    /HJ

  16. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ schrieb:
    > Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >> HJ schrieb:
    >>> Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?
    >>> How can I contact this person?

    >> What do you need from him?

    > What do you think?
    >
    >> We don't want to forward his address if we don't have to, so if you
    >> need to contact him, it's best to tell SeaMonkey Council
    >> what you'd need the contact for, then
    >> we may send you a contact if it's reasonable.

    > What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it completely up to me to decide *if*
    > and *when*to ask for his help!

    It's as easy as that: Alex has granted the Mozilla Foundation (which
    does represent us legally) all rights on the SeaMonkey logo, and so for
    any questions on using the images, you should ask us but not him.

    I'm sure he won't be happy if anyone wanting to use our logo would mail
    him. And we'd be pissed off if people are handing around our logo files
    without our knowledge behind our backs.

    Robert Kaiser

  17. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > HJ schrieb:
    >> Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What do you need from him?

    >> What do you think?
    >>
    >>> We don't want to forward his address if we don't have to, so if you
    >>> need to contact him, it's best to tell SeaMonkey Council
    >>> what you'd need the contact for, then
    >>> we may send you a contact if it's reasonable.

    >> What a ridiculous commend. I mean, it completely up to me to decide
    >> *if* and *when*to ask for his help!

    > It's as easy as that: Alex has granted the Mozilla Foundation (which
    > does represent us legally) all rights on the SeaMonkey logo, and so for
    > any questions on using the images, you should ask us but not him.

    Robert, I was totally unaware of this, so I just send him an e-mail.
    Also, I am allowed to use the images under the MPL so I don't see what
    the problem is.

    > I'm sure he won't be happy if anyone wanting to use our logo would mail
    > him.

    Like I said before, he doesn't seems to have any problems with it.

    > And we'd be pissed off if people are handing around our logo files
    > without our knowledge behind our backs.

    Hey, I am a reasonable person, despite what people might think, and I
    also e-mailed him, and the SeaMonkey council with some questions.

    > And we'd be pissed off if people
    > are handing around our logo files without our knowledge behind our backs.

    All he did was making two images for one of the oldest Mozilla add-ons,
    now SeaMonkey extensions. Tell me, what is the big deal about that?

    /HJ

  18. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ wrote:
    > Who was the designer of the SeaMonkey logo/images?
    > How can I contact this person?

    This issue has been resolved with the SeaMonkey Council so don't expect
    a reply from me.

    /HJ

  19. Re: SeaMonkey images

    HJ wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> HJ wrote:
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> his NAME was made public, but not his email address... they are not
    >> the same thing.

    > True, but that sure helped me to trace him.
    >
    >> My name isnt moz.champion is it, but thats my email address.

    > I'm told that you are Dan Gall, but that info can be wrong of course.
    >
    >> Unless you are Alexander, you cannot assume he did or did not want his
    >> email published, from the evidence cited.

    > He doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and we e-mailed a couple of
    > time already.
    >
    >>> In that case, never put your resume on the internet, never use forums
    >>> like this.

    > That is because you skipped a few steps. You need to connect things,
    > like the info he puts on the Internet and his name on the Mozilla website
    >
    >> Why? I post here, so whats my name? It isnt moz.champion tho that
    >> IS a valid email address. My resume isnt on the internet, I dont know
    >> if Alexanders is or not. Alexander may or may not post here, who knows
    >> who everyone really is?

    > If you or anyone else want to fake his or her name, so be it.
    >
    >>> My question, nor my replies, have anything to do with 'sensibilities'.

    >> Really? Its your statement that a person should not post to forums
    >> such as this if they want to remain anonymous, so tell me. Just what
    >> is my full name, and where do I live?

    > Correct, because that might, and in this case did, take your privacy away.
    >
    >> Your sensibilities are ingrained, they are part of you, and you seem
    >> to have difficulty in accepting another viewpoint.

    > Er, I don't have problems with that, but I do have my own opinion and a
    > lot of people respect me.
    >
    >> fake email address is one thing. my email IS moz.champion@sympatico.ca

    > I wasn't addressing *your* e-mail address but e-mail addresses in
    > general. I do know that your e-mail address works because you've send me
    > an e-mail, remember?
    >
    >> So, whats my name? It ISNT moz.champion
    >> My real name doesnt appear in any of my various email addresses, tho I
    >> always use a valid email address where-ever I go (or post). Without me
    >> telling you (or others) you wouldnt know my name. [It is listed on the
    >> internet anyway- so you can find it out]
    >> While that is the complete opposite of the situation with Alexander,
    >> its quite the same in effect. You know my contact addresses, but not
    >> my name. In Alexander's case, you know the name but not the contact
    >> addresses.

    > I call BS I do have his name, last name, phone number and even his
    > address.
    >
    >> Whats gwtc's name? What about Squaredancers name? Real Bev's name?
    >> They post here, and you know their contact address (email) but do you
    >> know their real name? You only know what they tell you.

    > Er, that's what you think, which is not mush as it seems.
    >
    > /HJ

    All your answers dont make any sense.
    You state that you already HAVE Alexanders email and have corresponded
    with him, so whats your point?

    The SeaMonkey Council is not in the habit of giving out email addresses
    for its contributors, but it WILL forward a message (if appropriate) to
    the contributor for you.

    This is exactly how many organizations and businesses run.
    Publishers dont publish the address or email address of their authors,
    but will forward one to the author if appropriate. If the author wishes
    to reveal his email address by returning the email directly, then thats
    the authors choice.
    You cant find the personal email of President George Bush anywhere on
    the web. What you can find is an email address with which you can write
    'to' him, but most of those are usually answered by the press staff, not
    the President himself. On extremely rare occassions, the President WILL
    email a reply himself, but again it goes through the press staff
    addressing, not his own.
    Bill Gates is still somewhat involved with the production of Microsoft
    products - but again you cant find his personal email published on the
    web. If you mail a letter to Microsoft, it MAY reach him (if its
    considered appropriate and relevent enough) - and he may even reveal his
    personal email when replying
    Most 'fan' clubs work this way as well. You use an email address that
    goes to a front office, and if considered relevent enough, the email may
    even get to the personal attention of the person (not a staff member),
    who may even reply to you using their real email.

    I really dont see the problem you are having with this setup. You wanted
    to contact Alexander, and by your reports you have, so, where is the
    problem?

  20. Re: SeaMonkey images

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    [SNIP]
    > You cant find the personal email of President George Bush anywhere on
    > the web. What you can find is an email address with which you can write
    > 'to' him, but most of those are usually answered by the press staff, not
    > the President himself. On extremely rare occassions, the President WILL
    > email a reply himself, but again it goes through the press staff
    > addressing, not his own.

    [SNIP]
    if you send it to president@whitehouse.gov you will get a response
    back, almost immediately.