having SM find mz old profile - Mozilla

This is a discussion on having SM find mz old profile - Mozilla ; Hi, I had to reinstall Windows, and the so-called recovery disk gave me the choice between deleting everything on the hard disk or just overwriting the c-drive. I choose the latter, knowing that at least my mail was in some ...

  1. having SM find mz old profile

    Hi,

    I had to reinstall Windows, and the so-called recovery disk gave me the
    choice between deleting everything on the hard disk or just overwriting
    the c-drive. I choose the latter, knowing that at least my mail was in
    some special directory on d:\ that I had specified as the local Mozilla
    mail directory via edit-account settings-server settings. It turned out
    to be in a directory with an .slt ending where, as luck would have it,
    the bookmarks and much much more were also to be found. So I specified
    that directory again in the mail account settings, rejoiced about all
    the mail that was still there, and -

    saw that SM hadn't bothered to import the bookmarks. I can't see
    anything to specify a place for them in the preferences or the bookmark
    manager. So how do I tell SM about the rest of my old profile?

    klaus

  2. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    _klaus schmirler_ spoke thusly on 16/02/2006 4:50 PM:
    > I had to reinstall Windows, and the so-called recovery disk gave me the
    > choice between deleting everything on the hard disk or just overwriting
    > the c-drive. I choose the latter, knowing that at least my mail was in
    > some special directory on d:\ that I had specified as the local Mozilla
    > mail directory via edit-account settings-server settings. It turned out
    > to be in a directory with an .slt ending where, as luck would have it,
    > the bookmarks and much much more were also to be found. So I specified
    > that directory again in the mail account settings, rejoiced about all
    > the mail that was still there, and -
    >
    > saw that SM hadn't bothered to import the bookmarks. I can't see
    > anything to specify a place for them in the preferences or the bookmark
    > manager. So how do I tell SM about the rest of my old profile?

    I'm not sure I understand your situation.
    You bookmarks are kept in a file called bookmarks.html, within your
    profile folder. If you have your entire old profile somewhere, in a
    separate location than your current profile, you can close SeaMonkey and
    copy/paste bookmarks.html from the old profile folder to the new one.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _klaus schmirler_ spoke thusly on 16/02/2006 4:50 PM:
    >> I had to reinstall Windows, and the so-called recovery disk gave me the
    >> choice between deleting everything on the hard disk or just overwriting
    >> the c-drive. I choose the latter, knowing that at least my mail was in
    >> some special directory on d:\ that I had specified as the local Mozilla
    >> mail directory via edit-account settings-server settings. It turned out
    >> to be in a directory with an .slt ending where, as luck would have it,
    >> the bookmarks and much much more were also to be found. So I specified
    >> that directory again in the mail account settings, rejoiced about all
    >> the mail that was still there, and -
    >>
    >> saw that SM hadn't bothered to import the bookmarks. I can't see
    >> anything to specify a place for them in the preferences or the bookmark
    >> manager. So how do I tell SM about the rest of my old profile?

    > I'm not sure I understand your situation.
    > You bookmarks are kept in a file called bookmarks.html, within your
    > profile folder.

    The real profile folder has gone with the reinstallation. But I had
    redirected the mail to a place within the mozilla program hierarchy on
    drive d:\.

    If you have your entire old profile somewhere, in a
    > separate location than your current profile, you can close SeaMonkey and
    > copy/paste bookmarks.html from the old profile folder to the new one.

    My c-partition turned out to be small for WinXP, so I want as little
    extra (and growing) stuff in there as possible. And since it was and is
    possible to direct the mail to a location of choice, I thought it had to
    be possible to do the same with bookmarks, passwords etc. Especially
    when these are right next (actually, one rung up) from the mail -- I
    never redirected these, and happening all by itself, this must be easy! No?

    klaus

  4. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    klaus schmirler wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _klaus schmirler_ spoke thusly on 16/02/2006 4:50 PM:
    >>> I had to reinstall Windows, and the so-called recovery disk gave me the
    >>> choice between deleting everything on the hard disk or just overwriting
    >>> the c-drive. I choose the latter, knowing that at least my mail was in
    >>> some special directory on d:\ that I had specified as the local Mozilla
    >>> mail directory via edit-account settings-server settings. It turned out
    >>> to be in a directory with an .slt ending where, as luck would have it,
    >>> the bookmarks and much much more were also to be found. So I specified
    >>> that directory again in the mail account settings, rejoiced about all
    >>> the mail that was still there, and -
    >>>
    >>> saw that SM hadn't bothered to import the bookmarks. I can't see
    >>> anything to specify a place for them in the preferences or the bookmark
    >>> manager. So how do I tell SM about the rest of my old profile?

    >> I'm not sure I understand your situation.
    >> You bookmarks are kept in a file called bookmarks.html, within your
    >> profile folder.

    > The real profile folder has gone with the reinstallation. But I had
    > redirected the mail to a place within the mozilla program hierarchy on
    > drive d:\.
    >
    > If you have your entire old profile somewhere, in a
    >> separate location than your current profile, you can close SeaMonkey and
    >> copy/paste bookmarks.html from the old profile folder to the new one.

    > My c-partition turned out to be small for WinXP, so I want as little
    > extra (and growing) stuff in there as possible. And since it was and is
    > possible to direct the mail to a location of choice, I thought it had to
    > be possible to do the same with bookmarks, passwords etc. Especially
    > when these are right next (actually, one rung up) from the mail -- I
    > never redirected these, and happening all by itself, this must be easy! No?
    >
    > klaus

    Klaus, try opening your bookmarks file (Bookmarks|Manage Bookmarks)
    then, within your bookmarks try Tools|Import and direct it to your
    Mozilla Bookmarks File location.

    Does that achieve what you want?

    (I think it actually creates a copy of your original Bookmarks file in a
    new location.........having a backup file, in the old location, is not a
    bad thing!)

    HTH

    Daniel

  5. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    Daniel wrote:

    > Does that achieve what you want?

    Yay! Thanks!

    It turns out this is really an older bookmarks file, but much better
    than nothing.

    Follow up question: is it possible to move the profiles folder
    effectively away from the c:\documents and preferences (or whatever it's
    called in English) to prevent losing them again?

    klaus

  6. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    klaus schmirler wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >

    >>Does that achieve what you want?

    > Yay! Thanks!
    >
    > It turns out this is really an older bookmarks file, but much better
    > than nothing.
    >
    > Follow up question: is it possible to move the profiles folder
    > effectively away from the c:\documents and preferences (or whatever it's
    > called in English) to prevent losing them again?
    >
    > klaus

    why don't you use your zip program and back up the entire profile, and
    do it often. Or you can move out the bookmarks.html file and put it
    somewhere safe.

  7. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    Am 17.02.2006 10:56 hub klaus schmirler aber zu reden an und sprach:

    > Follow up question: is it possible to move the profiles folder
    > effectively away from the c:\documents and preferences (or whatever it's
    > called in English) to prevent losing them again?

    Create a new profile with the profile manager, but instead using the
    standard path select an own place for your profile. Then you close SM,
    and can now move all files from your old profile (files and directories
    inside the *.slt directory) into the newly created *.slt directory of
    your new profile.

    Start up SM with the new profile and everything will be there.

    There are other ways to move a profile, but this is the easieset.

    R/\LF

  8. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    _klaus schmirler_ spoke thusly on 17/02/2006 4:56 AM:

    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#transferring
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  9. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    On 02/17/2006 11:21 AM Ralf Eichler wrote:

    > Create a new profile with the profile manager, but instead using the
    > standard path select an own place for your profile. Then you close SM,
    > and can now move all files from your old profile (files and directories
    > inside the *.slt directory) into the newly created *.slt directory of
    > your new profile.

    I thought it was just the other way? First copy everythingto
    D:\NEW_FOLDER\NAME, and then create a new profile named NAME in the
    new Folder D:\NEW_FOLDER?

    OJ
    --
    Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent. Working with
    windows is like attacking a small whining child who is carrying a .38.

  10. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 02/17/2006 11:21 AM Ralf Eichler wrote:
    >
    >> Create a new profile with the profile manager, but instead using the
    >> standard path select an own place for your profile. Then you close SM,
    >> and can now move all files from your old profile (files and directories
    >> inside the *.slt directory) into the newly created *.slt directory of
    >> your new profile.

    > I thought it was just the other way? First copy everythingto
    > D:\NEW_FOLDER\NAME, and then create a new profile named NAME in the
    > new Folder D:\NEW_FOLDER?
    >
    > OJ

    Is this along the lines of...when you delete the program you can elect
    not to delete the the profile so later, when you re-install the program,
    you can create a profile named the same as the old one and Moz/SM should
    pick up the old profile files.

    Or you can create the new profile .. and then copy the old files into it.

    The two methods quoted seem a bit "six of one..half a dozen of the other".

    Daniel

  11. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    On 3/1/2006 12:34 AM Daniel wrote:

    > Is this along the lines of...when you delete the program you can elect
    > not to delete the the profile so later, when you re-install the program,
    > you can create a profile named the same as the old one and Moz/SM should
    > pick up the old profile files.

    If you want to move it to another place there is no "old profile" to
    find there. It was about telling SM where the profile is now.

    > Or you can create the new profile .. and then copy the old files into it.

    Too much work. With "our" method you dont need to copy anything after
    isntallation. Which can cause problems, as some addons ahve absolute
    paths (including .slt) in the chrome.rdf.

    OJ
    --
    Programming is like sex: if you make a mistake, you have to support it
    for the rest of your life.

  12. Re: having SM find mz old profile

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 3/1/2006 12:34 AM Daniel wrote:
    >> Is this along the lines of...when you delete the program you can elect
    >> not to delete the the profile so later, when you re-install the program,
    >> you can create a profile named the same as the old one and Moz/SM should
    >> pick up the old profile files.

    > If you want to move it to another place there is no "old profile" to
    > find there. It was about telling SM where the profile is now.
    >
    >> Or you can create the new profile .. and then copy the old files into it.

    > Too much work. With "our" method you dont need to copy anything after
    > isntallation. Which can cause problems, as some addons ahve absolute
    > paths (including .slt) in the chrome.rdf.
    >
    > OJ

    Ok.

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread