Deleting Cache - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Deleting Cache - Mozilla ; Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line, that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started? If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

  1. Deleting Cache

    Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line,
    that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started?

    If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when the
    computer is booted?

  2. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line,
    > that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started?
    >
    > If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ > name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when the
    > computer is booted?

    I have been using MultiZilla for so long I can't remember if the
    Quickprefs button is a MultiZilla only thing or not.

    QuickPrefs > Clear Local Data > Sanitize Settings > sanitize. You can
    set SM to clear the caches of your choice on exit.

    --
    -Adrian
    HTH

  3. Re: Deleting Cache

    Adrian (down under) wrote:

    > twillers wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line,
    >>that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started?
    >>
    >>If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y
    >>C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ >>name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when the
    >>computer is booted?
    >>

    > I have been using MultiZilla for so long I can't remember if the
    > Quickprefs button is a MultiZilla only thing or not.

    Yes it is

    > QuickPrefs > Clear Local Data > Sanitize Settings > sanitize. You can
    > set SM to clear the caches of your choice on exit.

    but the OP wants to have it cleared when he starts up SM

  4. Re: Deleting Cache

    gwtc wrote:
    > Adrian (down under) wrote:
    >
    >> twillers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line,
    >>> that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started?
    >>>
    >>> If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ >>> name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when the
    >>> computer is booted?
    >>>

    >> I have been using MultiZilla for so long I can't remember if the
    >> Quickprefs button is a MultiZilla only thing or not.
    >>

    > Yes it is
    >
    >> QuickPrefs > Clear Local Data > Sanitize Settings > sanitize. You can
    >> set SM to clear the caches of your choice on exit.
    >>

    > but the OP wants to have it cleared when he starts up SM

    Whether the cache is deleted at the startup, or at the closing of
    browser doesn't concern me as much as just making sure it's deleted.

    The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge the cache when
    it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up to delete the
    cache when the browser is closed.

    I've found that most, "non-computer" people, never think to delete their
    cache. Then they can't understand why their browsers seem to take
    forever to load a page. Also, if you play online games that run using
    Macromedia Flash, they tend to use up a lot of the cache.

    Could something be added to "about:config" to automate the process?

  5. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:

    > Could something be added to "about:config" to automate the process?

    Probably so.

    But if you would like to do it via MultiZilla,
    go to this link and install it.

    http://tinyurl.com/3qosp

    Then just do the following:
    > QuickPrefs > Clear Local Data > Sanitize Settings > sanitize.
    > You can set SM to clear the caches of your choice on exit.

    It really is a great extension anyway.

    All the best.

    --
    -Adrian
    Photons have mass?! I didn't even know they were Catholic...

  6. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line,
    > that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started?
    >
    > If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ > name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when the
    > computer is booted?

    I use the PrefBar so i can clear the cache when I want to.

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    Stan

  7. Re: Deleting Cache

    gwtc wrote:
    > Adrian (down under) wrote:
    >
    >> twillers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a switch that can be added to the SM start-up command line,
    >>> that will automatically delete cache, when the browser is started?
    >>>
    >>> If not, will adding "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE /Y
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ >>> name>\******.slt\Cache" to my autoexec.bat remove the cache when the
    >>> computer is booted?
    >>>

    >> I have been using MultiZilla for so long I can't remember if the
    >> Quickprefs button is a MultiZilla only thing or not.
    >>

    > Yes it is
    >
    >> QuickPrefs > Clear Local Data > Sanitize Settings > sanitize. You can
    >> set SM to clear the caches of your choice on exit.
    >>

    > but the OP wants to have it cleared when he starts up SM

    Um, if he sets it to clear on Exit, the next time he starts it will be
    clear. Same result.

  8. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:

    > Whether the cache is deleted at the startup, or at the closing of
    > browser doesn't concern me as much as just making sure it's deleted.
    >
    > The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge the cache when
    > it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up to delete the
    > cache when the browser is closed.
    >
    > I've found that most, "non-computer" people, never think to delete their
    > cache. Then they can't understand why their browsers seem to take
    > forever to load a page. Also, if you play online games that run using
    > Macromedia Flash, they tend to use up a lot of the cache.

    The cache is capped at ~50MB by default... it shouldn't really get slow.

    Chris

  9. Re: Deleting Cache

    Chris Thomas wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >
    >> Whether the cache is deleted at the startup, or at the closing of
    >> browser doesn't concern me as much as just making sure it's deleted.
    >>
    >> The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge the cache
    >> when it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up to delete
    >> the cache when the browser is closed.
    >>
    >> I've found that most, "non-computer" people, never think to delete
    >> their cache. Then they can't understand why their browsers seem to
    >> take forever to load a page. Also, if you play online games that run
    >> using Macromedia Flash, they tend to use up a lot of the cache.

    > The cache is capped at ~50MB by default... it shouldn't really get slow.
    >
    > Chris

    Chris your right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that
    never delete their cache, mainly because they don't know it exists, or
    what it's for. I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one persons
    computer. The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to do that".

  10. Re: Deleting Cache

    Adrian (down under) wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >

    >>Could something be added to "about:config" to automate the process?

    > Probably so.
    >
    > But if you would like to do it via MultiZilla,
    > go to this link and install it.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3qosp
    >
    > Then just do the following:
    >
    >>QuickPrefs > Clear Local Data > Sanitize Settings > sanitize.
    >>You can set SM to clear the caches of your choice on exit.

    > It really is a great extension anyway.
    >
    > All the best.

    for those who don't use tinyurl's, the full address is:
    http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

  11. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > Chris Thomas wrote:
    >> twillers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Whether the cache is deleted at the startup, or at the closing of
    >>> browser doesn't concern me as much as just making sure it's deleted.
    >>>
    >>> The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge the cache
    >>> when it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up to delete
    >>> the cache when the browser is closed.
    >>>
    >>> I've found that most, "non-computer" people, never think to delete
    >>> their cache. Then they can't understand why their browsers seem to
    >>> take forever to load a page. Also, if you play online games that run
    >>> using Macromedia Flash, they tend to use up a lot of the cache.

    >> The cache is capped at ~50MB by default... it shouldn't really get slow.
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Chris your right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that
    > never delete their cache, mainly because they don't know it exists, or
    > what it's for. I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one persons
    > computer. The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to do that".

    You shouldn't have to delete the cache though. Performance with a 50MB
    cache should not be any worse than with an empty cache, and pages that
    have data in the cache should load faster. If there are issues with the
    cache at 50MB, bugs should be filed.

    Chris

  12. Re: Deleting Cache

    Chris Thomas wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> Chris Thomas wrote:

    >>> The cache is capped at ~50MB by default... it shouldn't really get slow.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> Chris your right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that
    >> never delete their cache, mainly because they don't know it exists, or
    >> what it's for. I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one
    >> persons computer. The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to
    >> do that".

    > You shouldn't have to delete the cache though. Performance with a 50MB
    > cache should not be any worse than with an empty cache, and pages that
    > have data in the cache should load faster. If there are issues with the
    > cache at 50MB, bugs should be filed.

    Err, think about privacy aware people like me!

    /HJ

  13. Re: Deleting Cache

    Chris Thomas wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> Chris Thomas wrote:

    >>> The cache is capped at ~50MB by default... it shouldn't really get slow.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> Chris your right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that
    >> never delete their cache, mainly because they don't know it exists, or
    >> what it's for. I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one
    >> persons computer. The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to
    >> do that".

    > You shouldn't have to delete the cache though. Performance with a 50MB
    > cache should not be any worse than with an empty cache, and pages that
    > have data in the cache should load faster. If there are issues with the
    > cache at 50MB, bugs should be filed.
    >
    > Chris

    Again, you are right. The pages that have data stored in cache should
    still load fast. What about new pages that are loaded for the first
    time? The closer cache gets to being maxed out the slower new pages seem
    to load.

  14. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one persons
    > computer. The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to do that".

    That's because you ARE NOT supposed to do that!

  15. Re: Deleting Cache

    Christian Biesinger wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one persons computer.
    >> The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to do that".

    > That's because you ARE NOT supposed to do that!

    Christian, In my opinion I think your wrong. If you weren't supposed to
    delete it, there wouldn't be a way of doing so in preferences. Also as I
    stated earlier. The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge
    the cache when it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up so
    the cache is automatically deleted when the browser is closed. If you
    don't set it, cache just keeps growing and growing. Another reason for
    deleting cache is Security.

  16. Re: Deleting Cache

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:43:54 -0500, twillers wrote:

    > Christian Biesinger wrote:
    >> twillers wrote:
    >>> I've deleted 50 megs of cache from more then one persons computer.
    >>> The usual reply is, "I didn't know I was supposed to do that".

    >> That's because you ARE NOT supposed to do that!

    > Christian, In my opinion I think your wrong. If you weren't supposed to
    > delete it, there wouldn't be a way of doing so in preferences. Also as I
    > stated earlier. The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge
    > the cache when it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up so
    > the cache is automatically deleted when the browser is closed. If you
    > don't set it, cache just keeps growing and growing. Another reason for
    > deleting cache is Security.

    Why not just set it to zero?
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

  17. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > Christian, In my opinion I think your wrong. If you weren't supposed to
    > delete it, there wouldn't be a way of doing so in preferences.

    That's there so that people concerned about their privacy can delete it.

  18. Re: Deleting Cache

    Also:

    twillers wrote:
    > The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge
    > the cache when it reached a certain level.

    It only removed stuff when it got near the limit, and then only enough
    so that new stuff fits in.

    > IE has an option in set-up so
    > the cache is automatically deleted when the browser is closed.

    That's likely for privacy reasons as well.

    > If you
    > don't set it, cache just keeps growing and growing.

    No, only to the set limit.

    > Another reason for
    > deleting cache is Security.

    Er, _security_? What security reason would that be?

  19. Re: Deleting Cache

    Jim Scott wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:43:54 -0500, twillers wrote:
    >
    >> Christian Biesinger wrote:
    >>> That's because you ARE NOT supposed to do that!

    >> Christian, In my opinion I think your wrong. If you weren't supposed to
    >> delete it, there wouldn't be a way of doing so in preferences. Also as I
    >> stated earlier. The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge
    >> the cache when it reached a certain level. IE has an option in set-up so
    >> the cache is automatically deleted when the browser is closed. If you
    >> don't set it, cache just keeps growing and growing. Another reason for
    >> deleting cache is Security.

    > Why not just set it to zero?

    If you set it to zero, there would be no cache.

  20. Re: Deleting Cache

    Christian Biesinger wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> Christian, In my opinion I think your wrong. If you weren't supposed
    >> to delete it, there wouldn't be a way of doing so in preferences.

    > That's there so that people concerned about their privacy can delete it.

    Privacy/Security, in this case it's the same thing.

    > twillers wrote:
    >>> The old Netscape Communicator use to automatically purge the cache
    >>> when it reached a certain level.

    >> It only removed stuff when it got near the limit, and then only enough
    >> so that new stuff fits in.

    According to you, why remove it a all?

    >>> If you don't set it, cache just keeps growing and growing.

    >> No, only to the set limit.
    >>
    >>> Another reason for deleting cache is Security.

    >> Er, _security_? What security reason would that be?

    You are correct, with regards to the cache size being limited to the
    preset limit. My IE is set at 100 meg, and as far as I can remember,
    it's always been that way. I almost never use it. So that being said;
    what would be the reason, or advantage of keeping 100 megs of useless
    cache that dates back months ago, on the computer. Most of which were
    cached by others using the computer. The same could be said for SM,(50
    meg) or any other browser for that matter. What I can tell you is; I
    know where one person does his banking, what credit union another one
    uses, and what he bought from an online auto part store, and the list
    goes on. I'm not sure what I would find if I put my mind to it. Just out
    of curiosity; would this be considered a Security or privacy issue?

    The bottom line is; I see only advantages for purging cache on a regular
    basis, and very little to no, disadvantage to doing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast