Deleting Cache - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Deleting Cache - Mozilla ; Melchert Fruitema wrote: > Why not use preferences> advanced> cache - check radio button 'when page > is out of date'? I think the only thing that would do is, automatically update/replace, outdated pages. It won't remove any of the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: Deleting Cache

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > Why not use preferences> advanced> cache - check radio button 'when page
    > is out of date'?

    I think the only thing that would do is, automatically update/replace,
    outdated pages. It won't remove any of the inactive cache files, no
    matter how old they are. I believe that the only way they are removed
    is, if you do it manually. Also, I believe someone said, they are
    replaced as needed, when cache is full.

  2. Re: Deleting Cache

    On 21-02-2006 23:07 CET, Daniel composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Daniel, I went to, http://kb.mozillazine.org/category:Preferences,
    >>> and there is no mention of it. But then again, there's nothing
    >>> mentioned for History either.
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I think that would be a great way of handling the
    >>> issue. That's a way of handling it, that I hadn't thought about.

    >> Why not use preferences> advanced> cache - check radio button 'when
    >> page is out of date'?

    > Do all pages included an "out of date" date?

    ..
    I don't know. However, the preference does exist and I trust it to be
    effective. Do you have any proof of the contrary?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  3. Re: Deleting Cache

    On 22-02-2006 00:10 CET, twillers composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> Why not use preferences> advanced> cache - check radio button 'when
    >> page is out of date'?

    > I think the only thing that would do is, automatically update/replace,
    > outdated pages. It won't remove any of the inactive cache files, no
    > matter how old they are. I believe that the only way they are removed
    > is, if you do it manually. Also, I believe someone said, they are
    > replaced as needed, when cache is full.

    ..
    The last statement is correct. The cache has a fixed size, old entries
    do get replaced by others, ebventually. So, don't bother and there is no
    need to clear the cache with the setting I mentioned earlier: if the
    page is out of date, get it refreshed.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  4. Re: Deleting Cache

    Daniel wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Do all pages included an "out of date" date?

    >> ..
    >> I don't know. However, the preference does exist and I trust it to be
    >> effective. Do you have any proof of the contrary?
    >>

    > Hang on! You are telling me to use a method, a method you're not sure
    > will work every time, then you ask me to prove your method doesn't work.
    >
    > I'm sure if each and every page does have an "out of date" setting,
    > your method would work.

    It is not my own personal method. It is an available caching option,
    which works as designed.
    My argument is that there really no need for a clean up on date. The
    same date that you question its existence. :-)

  5. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> Why not use preferences> advanced> cache - check radio button 'when
    >> page is out of date'?

    > I think the only thing that would do is, automatically update/replace,
    > outdated pages. It won't remove any of the inactive cache files, no
    > matter how old they are. I believe that the only way they are removed
    > is, if you do it manually. Also, I believe someone said, they are
    > replaced as needed, when cache is full.

    Right on. The (disk) cache is there, with your preferred size. There is
    really no need to do a clean up on old dates, except for one
    questionable advantage of a smaller index.

  6. Re: Deleting Cache

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why not use preferences> advanced> cache - check radio button 'when
    >>> page is out of date'?

    >> I think the only thing that would do is, automatically update/replace,
    >> outdated pages. It won't remove any of the inactive cache files, no
    >> matter how old they are. I believe that the only way they are removed
    >> is, if you do it manually. Also, I believe someone said, they are
    >> replaced as needed, when cache is full.

    > Right on. The (disk) cache is there, with your preferred size. There is
    > really no need to do a clean up on old dates, except for one
    > questionable advantage of a smaller index.

    What about privacy/security, as a reason for clearing cache. If you do a
    google search on the subject, any number of sights recommend that the
    cache be cleared. I haven't found any that suggest leaving it, all
    thought that's not to say there isn't any. I think it all boils down to
    what you feel comfortable with, and what you're use to doing. If the
    same sites are visited over and over, I can see a reason to leave the
    cache. But if that is not the case, or at the end of a session, I think
    the advantages of deleting the cache, out way leaving it. I'm willing to
    let it take the extra second that it will take to load a fresh page, the
    next time I start a session. After that, cache will do it's job.

  7. Re: Deleting Cache

    twillers wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> twillers wrote:

    >>> I think the only thing that would do is, automatically
    >>> update/replace, outdated pages. It won't remove any of the inactive
    >>> cache files, no matter how old they are. I believe that the only way
    >>> they are removed is, if you do it manually. Also, I believe someone
    >>> said, they are replaced as needed, when cache is full.

    >> Right on. The (disk) cache is there, with your preferred size. There
    >> is really no need to do a clean up on old dates, except for one
    >> questionable advantage of a smaller index.

    > What about privacy/security, as a reason for clearing cache. If you do
    > a google search on the subject, any number of sights recommend that
    > the cache be cleared. I haven't found any that suggest leaving it, all
    > thought that's not to say there isn't any. I think it all boils down
    > to what you feel comfortable with, and what you're use to doing. If
    > the same sites are visited over and over, I can see a reason to leave
    > the cache. But if that is not the case, or at the end of a session, I
    > think the advantages of deleting the cache, out way leaving it. I'm
    > willing to let it take the extra second that it will take to load a
    > fresh page, the next time I start a session. After that, cache will do
    > it's job.

    ..
    Caching is for slow connections. With broadband, you do not need it,
    really. Indeed, if you are concerned about privacy/security, switch disk
    caching off and wait another split second.

  8. Re: Deleting Cache

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Right on. The (disk) cache is there, with your preferred size. There
    >>> is really no need to do a clean up on old dates, except for one
    >>> questionable advantage of a smaller index.

    >> What about privacy/security, as a reason for clearing cache. If you do
    >> a google search on the subject, any number of sights recommend that
    >> the cache be cleared. I haven't found any that suggest leaving it, all
    >> thought that's not to say there isn't any. I think it all boils down
    >> to what you feel comfortable with, and what you're use to doing. If
    >> the same sites are visited over and over, I can see a reason to leave
    >> the cache. But if that is not the case, or at the end of a session, I
    >> think the advantages of deleting the cache, out way leaving it. I'm
    >> willing to let it take the extra second that it will take to load a
    >> fresh page, the next time I start a session. After that, cache will do
    >> it's job.

    > .
    > Caching is for slow connections. With broadband, you do not need it,
    > really. Indeed, if you are concerned about privacy/security, switch disk
    > caching off and wait another split second.

    Unfortunately I still use Dial-up, so I still need it. So in my case, I
    do the the next best thing; I delete it on a regular basis.

  9. Re: Deleting Cache (0 byte web bugs from 1969!?)

    Rich Gray wrote:
    > Ah, yes, the Unix time(0) epoch. I failed to notice that because
    > of the time zone adjustment. What does 0 mean as far as cache
    > behavior. Expired or forever?

    Expired, afaik.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3