Cookie settings - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Cookie settings - Mozilla ; I'm confused about what I should have my cookie settings set to. I want to keep all the "tracking", advertising and privacy-invading cookies away, while there are of course some sites that I visit where I really do need cookies ...

  1. Cookie settings

    I'm confused about what I should have my cookie settings set to.

    I want to keep all the "tracking", advertising and privacy-invading
    cookies away, while there are of course some sites that I visit where I
    really do need cookies (web forums etc.).

    So what's the best and most practical way to set it up in
    Seamonkey/Mozilla? There's a lot of combinations of things, and I
    haven't quite figured it out yet.

    I'm using Mozilla 1.0 on a Mac running MacOS 10.4.4. I also have Mozilla
    1.7.12.

  2. Re: Cookie settings

    On 07-02-2006 19:31 CET, Arild P. composed this enchanting statement:
    > I'm confused about what I should have my cookie settings set to.
    >
    > I want to keep all the "tracking", advertising and privacy-invading
    > cookies away, while there are of course some sites that I visit where I
    > really do need cookies (web forums etc.).
    >
    > So what's the best and most practical way to set it up in
    > Seamonkey/Mozilla? There's a lot of combinations of things, and I
    > haven't quite figured it out yet.
    >
    > I'm using Mozilla 1.0 on a Mac running MacOS 10.4.4. I also have
    > Mozilla 1.7.12.

    If you really want to:
    start with looking at each individual cookie to build up an exception list.
    It will take a while depending on your interests.

    You may wish to install the cookie button for ease of use, available at:

    http://basic.mozdev.org/cookiebutton/

  3. Re: Cookie settings

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 07-02-2006 19:31 CET, Arild P. composed this enchanting statement:

    /snip/

    > If you really want to:
    > start with looking at each individual cookie to build up an exception list.
    > It will take a while depending on your interests.
    >
    > You may wish to install the cookie button for ease of use, available at:
    >
    > http://basic.mozdev.org/cookiebutton/

    Does that work with SeaMonkey?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  4. Re: Cookie settings

    On 07-02-2006 21:46 CET, Leonidas Jones composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 07-02-2006 19:31 CET, Arild P. composed this enchanting statement:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> If you really want to:
    >> start with looking at each individual cookie to build up an exception
    >> list.
    >> It will take a while depending on your interests.
    >>
    >> You may wish to install the cookie button for ease of use, available at:
    >>
    >> http://basic.mozdev.org/cookiebutton/

    > Does that work with SeaMonkey?
    >
    > Lee

    Oops, I was thinking firefox.

    the cookiebutton has no install script for SM, unfortunately.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  5. Re: Cookie settings

    _Arild P._ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 1:31 PM:
    > I'm confused about what I should have my cookie settings set to.
    >
    > I want to keep all the "tracking", advertising and privacy-invading
    > cookies away, while there are of course some sites that I visit where I
    > really do need cookies (web forums etc.).
    >
    > So what's the best and most practical way to set it up in
    > Seamonkey/Mozilla? There's a lot of combinations of things, and I
    > haven't quite figured it out yet.
    >
    > I'm using Mozilla 1.0 on a Mac running MacOS 10.4.4. I also have Mozilla
    > 1.7.12.

    I don't know of any spyware scanning software for Mac, but what I do is
    set my browser to accept all images. I'll occasionally do a spyware
    scan, part of which is detecting tracking cookies. When I see the
    report, I'll add the domains of those tracking cookies to my "deny" list.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: Cookie settings

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Arild P._ spoke thusly on 07/02/2006 1:31 PM:
    >> I'm confused about what I should have my cookie settings set to.
    >>
    >> I want to keep all the "tracking", advertising and privacy-invading
    >> cookies away, while there are of course some sites that I visit where I
    >> really do need cookies (web forums etc.).
    >>
    >> So what's the best and most practical way to set it up in
    >> Seamonkey/Mozilla? There's a lot of combinations of things, and I
    >> haven't quite figured it out yet.
    >>
    >> I'm using Mozilla 1.0 on a Mac running MacOS 10.4.4. I also have
    >> Mozilla 1.7.12.

    > I don't know of any spyware scanning software for Mac, but what I do is
    > set my browser to accept all images. I'll occasionally do a spyware
    > scan, part of which is detecting tracking cookies. When I see the
    > report, I'll add the domains of those tracking cookies to my "deny" list.

    http://www.unwantedlinks.com/macsupport.htm

    I don't actually use Macscan at this point, there just isn't that much
    point. We'll see if malware starts to target OSX.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/