File Bookmark - Mozilla

This is a discussion on File Bookmark - Mozilla ; First off, I'd like to say that I've been using SeaMonkey since the first day version 1.0 was made available, and I'm lovin it. So far I haven't noticed any bugs, and it seem to be very stable. When you ...

  1. File Bookmark

    First off, I'd like to say that I've been using SeaMonkey since the
    first day version 1.0 was made available, and I'm lovin it. So far I
    haven't noticed any bugs, and it seem to be very stable.

    When you add a bookmark using Ctrl+B a window opens offering options for
    the new bookmark. The top 3 lines are Name, Location, and Keyword. My
    question is this: Is there a way of replacing the Keyword option, with
    Description? I don't use keyword, but I do use description. Firefox,
    Mozilla, and Communicator, also seem to approach it a little differently.

    Regards, twillers

  2. Re: File Bookmark

    twillers wrote:
    > First off, I'd like to say that I've been using SeaMonkey since the
    > first day version 1.0 was made available, and I'm lovin it. So far I
    > haven't noticed any bugs, and it seem to be very stable.
    >
    > When you add a bookmark using Ctrl+B a window opens offering options for
    > the new bookmark. The top 3 lines are Name, Location, and Keyword. My
    > question is this: Is there a way of replacing the Keyword option, with
    > Description? I don't use keyword, but I do use description. Firefox,
    > Mozilla, and Communicator, also seem to approach it a little differently.
    >
    > Regards, twillers

    What exactly do these do? How is it useful to have a description or
    keywords for a bookmark?

  3. Re: File Bookmark

    On 02/06/2006 08:07 PM Bungert wrote:

    > What exactly do these do? How is it useful to have a description or
    > keywords for a bookmark?

    I dont know much for description, but with keywords it is easy to jump
    to a bookmark. Or use it like this:

    Name: Search Google
    location: http://www.google.de/search?ie=utf-8&q=%s
    keyword: g

    Then g WHATEVER opens the google-search for WHATEVER in the present tab.
    Works the same with a lot of other search engines etc.

    OJ
    --
    "Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."
    (Terry Pratchett)

  4. Re: File Bookmark

    Bungert wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >> First off, I'd like to say that I've been using SeaMonkey since the
    >> first day version 1.0 was made available, and I'm lovin it. So far I
    >> haven't noticed any bugs, and it seem to be very stable.
    >>
    >> When you add a bookmark using Ctrl+B a window opens offering options
    >> for the new bookmark. The top 3 lines are Name, Location, and Keyword.
    >> My question is this: Is there a way of replacing the Keyword option,
    >> with Description? I don't use keyword, but I do use description.
    >> Firefox, Mozilla, and Communicator, also seem to approach it a little
    >> differently.
    >>
    >> Regards, twillers

    > What exactly do these do? How is it useful to have a description or
    > keywords for a bookmark?

    I use description as a way of letting me know what's on the webpage I
    saved, and why. When you have a long list, it's hard to remember what's
    on the bookmarked webpage. Especially if it's been there for awhile. As
    far as keyword goes, I don't use it. I find using Ctrl+B to open
    bookmark manager, then double clicking on the bookmark, easier than
    trying to remember what keyword I used for a particular bookmark.

  5. Re: File Bookmark

    /Bungert/:

    >> The top 3 lines are Name, Location, and Keyword.

    > What exactly do these do? How is it useful to have a description or
    > keywords for a bookmark?

    I use couple of bookmarks with keywords assigned like:

    Location:
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...act&Acronym=%s
    Keyword: acr

    then I type "acr ROTFLMAO" (w/o the quotes) in the browser's
    location field and I get the result for searching "ROTFLMAO" on the
    Acronym Finder site, without first going their web search form.

    Another one for opening a specific Usenet group on Google Groups:

    Location: http://groups.google.com/group/%s
    Keyword: gg

    Type "gg mozilla.support.seamonkey" into the browser's location
    field. For more info you might take a look at "Mozilla Custom
    Keywords" .

    --
    Stanimir

  6. Re: File Bookmark

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > /Bungert/:
    >
    >>> The top 3 lines are Name, Location, and Keyword.

    >> What exactly do these do? How is it useful to have a description or
    >> keywords for a bookmark?

    > I use couple of bookmarks with keywords assigned like:
    >
    > Location: http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...act&Acronym=%s
    > Keyword: acr
    >
    > then I type "acr ROTFLMAO" (w/o the quotes) in the browser's location
    > field and I get the result for searching "ROTFLMAO" on the Acronym
    > Finder site, without first going their web search form.
    >
    > Another one for opening a specific Usenet group on Google Groups:
    >
    > Location: http://groups.google.com/group/%s
    > Keyword: gg
    >
    > Type "gg mozilla.support.seamonkey" into the browser's location field.
    > For more info you might take a look at "Mozilla Custom Keywords"
    > .

    My approach is to use bookmarklets that automatically use highlighted
    text on a page as the passed parameter or, if none is highlighted,
    present a dialogue box to enter the term. The ones I use most often are
    on my Personal Toolbar for one-click access. And I don't have to
    remember whether I used "acr" or "a" or "acn" for the acronym lookup
    keyword. Plus, after using this setup for a while my brain and mouse
    hand know instinctively where to go for the most-used bms.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  7. Re: File Bookmark

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >> /Bungert/:

    >>> What exactly do these do? How is it useful to have a description or
    >>> keywords for a bookmark?

    >> I use couple of bookmarks with keywords assigned like:
    >>
    >> Location:
    >> http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...act&Acronym=%s
    >> Keyword: acr
    >>
    >> then I type "acr ROTFLMAO" (w/o the quotes) in the browser's location
    >> field and I get the result for searching "ROTFLMAO" on the Acronym
    >> Finder site, without first going their web search form.
    >>
    >> Another one for opening a specific Usenet group on Google Groups:
    >>
    >> Location: http://groups.google.com/group/%s
    >> Keyword: gg
    >>
    >> Type "gg mozilla.support.seamonkey" into the browser's location field.
    >> For more info you might take a look at "Mozilla Custom Keywords"
    >> .
    >>

    > My approach is to use bookmarklets that automatically use highlighted
    > text on a page as the passed parameter or, if none is highlighted,
    > present a dialogue box to enter the term. The ones I use most often are
    > on my Personal Toolbar for one-click access. And I don't have to
    > remember whether I used "acr" or "a" or "acn" for the acronym lookup
    > keyword. Plus, after using this setup for a while my brain and mouse
    > hand know instinctively where to go for the most-used bms.

    Ed, You wouldn't happen to have an answer to the original question
    that started this thread by any chance, would you? I would appreciate
    the input. Seems like the thread went off on a tangent.

  8. Re: File Bookmark

    twillers wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >>> /Bungert/:

    >>> I use couple of bookmarks with keywords assigned like:
    >>>
    >>> Location:
    >>> http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...act&Acronym=%s
    >>> Keyword: acr
    >>>
    >>> then I type "acr ROTFLMAO" (w/o the quotes) in the browser's location
    >>> field and I get the result for searching "ROTFLMAO" on the Acronym
    >>> Finder site, without first going their web search form.
    >>>
    >>> Another one for opening a specific Usenet group on Google Groups:
    >>>
    >>> Location: http://groups.google.com/group/%s
    >>> Keyword: gg
    >>>
    >>> Type "gg mozilla.support.seamonkey" into the browser's location
    >>> field. For more info you might take a look at "Mozilla Custom
    >>> Keywords" .
    >>>

    >> My approach is to use bookmarklets that automatically use highlighted
    >> text on a page as the passed parameter or, if none is highlighted,
    >> present a dialogue box to enter the term. The ones I use most often
    >> are on my Personal Toolbar for one-click access. And I don't have to
    >> remember whether I used "acr" or "a" or "acn" for the acronym lookup
    >> keyword. Plus, after using this setup for a while my brain and mouse
    >> hand know instinctively where to go for the most-used bms.
    >>

    > Ed, You wouldn't happen to have an answer to the original question that
    > started this thread by any chance, would you? I would appreciate the
    > input. Seems like the thread went off on a tangent.

    When you invoke CTRL-B and the window opens, you can add/delete columns
    in the display by clicking the column header icon all the way to the
    right. One of those is the "Description" column.

    As to adding the "Description" as the OP wanted, not sure that can be
    done but it surely can be done in the bookmark editor (CTRL-B) after the
    fact. Yes?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  9. Re: File Bookmark

    _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 06/02/2006 7:46 PM:
    > When you invoke CTRL-B and the window opens, you can add/delete columns
    > in the display by clicking the column header icon all the way to the
    > right. One of those is the "Description" column.

    Am I crazy, or was the OP really referring to Ctrl+D? [File Bookmark]
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  10. Re: File Bookmark

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 06/02/2006 7:46 PM:
    >> When you invoke CTRL-B and the window opens, you can add/delete
    >> columns in the display by clicking the column header icon all the way
    >> to the right. One of those is the "Description" column.

    > Am I crazy, or was the OP really referring to Ctrl+D? [File Bookmark]

    Chris, I'm the OP who asked the original question. Not sure what OP
    stands for, but if I had to venture a guess, I would probably say
    "Obnoxious Person". If that is the case, I apologize to both you and Ed
    Mullen, and for that matter anyone else who reads this. It was not my
    intension to come across in that matter. What is even more embarrassing
    is, you are correct about what I was referring to. I wanted to know if
    there was a way to replace the Keyword line, with Description, in the
    "File Bookmark" window, that opens when you use Ctrl+D . If you or
    anyone else knows the answer, I would be greatly appreciative.

  11. Re: File Bookmark

    twillers wrote:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 06/02/2006 7:46 PM:
    >>
    >>> When you invoke CTRL-B and the window opens, you can add/delete
    >>> columns in the display by clicking the column header icon all the way
    >>> to the right. One of those is the "Description" column.

    >> Am I crazy, or was the OP really referring to Ctrl+D? [File Bookmark]

    > Chris, I'm the OP who asked the original question. Not sure what OP
    > stands for, but if I had to venture a guess, I would probably say
    > "Obnoxious Person". If that is the case, I apologize to both you and Ed
    > Mullen, and for that matter anyone else who reads this. It was not my
    > intension to come across in that matter. What is even more embarrassing
    > is, you are correct about what I was referring to. I wanted to know if
    > there was a way to replace the Keyword line, with Description, in the
    > "File Bookmark" window, that opens when you use Ctrl+D . If you or
    > anyone else knows the answer, I would be greatly appreciative.

    LOL. Chris was referring to you as the OP, Original Poster. When you
    open the Bookmark Manager, and you click on the top right button (next
    to keyword), you should see a list of available columns. Check or
    uncheck those that you wish. Is this what you mean?

    BTW, we reserve the other OP, Obnoxious Person, for certain trolls. LOL.

    Ron

  12. Re: File Bookmark

    Ron Lopshire wrote:
    > twillers wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 06/02/2006 7:46 PM:

    >>> Am I crazy, or was the OP really referring to Ctrl+D? [File Bookmark]

    >> Chris, I'm the OP who asked the original question. Not sure what OP
    >> stands for, but if I had to venture a guess, I would probably say
    >> "Obnoxious Person". If that is the case, I apologize to both you and
    >> Ed Mullen, and for that matter anyone else who reads this. It was not
    >> my intension to come across in that matter. What is even more
    >> embarrassing is, you are correct about what I was referring to. I
    >> wanted to know if there was a way to replace the Keyword line, with
    >> Description, in the "File Bookmark" window, that opens when you use
    >> Ctrl+D . If you or anyone else knows the answer, I would be greatly
    >> appreciative.

    > LOL. Chris was referring to you as the OP, Original Poster. When you
    > open the Bookmark Manager, and you click on the top right button (next
    > to keyword), you should see a list of available columns. Check or
    > uncheck those that you wish. Is this what you mean?
    >
    > BTW, we reserve the other OP, Obnoxious Person, for certain trolls. LOL.
    >
    > Ron

    Ron, thanks for the reply. What I was talking about was the window that
    opens when you use Ctrl+D (File Bookmark), not Ctrl+B (Bookmark
    Manager). It seems Firefox, Mozilla, and Communicator, also seem to
    approach the use of Ctrl+D a little differently.

    On a lighter note: Thank for the clarification on the OP. The last thing
    I wanted to do was, offend anyone.

  13. Re: File Bookmark

    twillers wrote:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >>_Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 06/02/2006 7:46 PM:
    >>
    >>>When you invoke CTRL-B and the window opens, you can add/delete
    >>>columns in the display by clicking the column header icon all the way
    >>>to the right. One of those is the "Description" column.

    >>Am I crazy, or was the OP really referring to Ctrl+D? [File Bookmark]

    > Chris, I'm the OP who asked the original question. Not sure what OP
    > stands for, but if I had to venture a guess, I would probably say
    > "Obnoxious Person". If that is the case, I apologize to both you and Ed
    > Mullen, and for that matter anyone else who reads this. It was not my
    > intension to come across in that matter. What is even more embarrassing
    > is, you are correct about what I was referring to. I wanted to know if
    > there was a way to replace the Keyword line, with Description, in the
    > "File Bookmark" window, that opens when you use Ctrl+D . If you or
    > anyone else knows the answer, I would be greatly appreciative.

    when you're in the newsgroups you'll start to see a lot of
    abbreviations, such as OP {Original Poster}, lol {laughing out loud or
    lots of laughing}, TIA {thanks in advance}, and many others. The best
    thing to do is look here http://www.acronymfinder.com and you'll start
    to piece together stuff

    --
    Time for a change

  14. Re: File Bookmark

    twillers wrote:

    > Ron Lopshire wrote:
    >
    >> twillers wrote:

    > Ron, thanks for the reply. What I was talking about was the window that
    > opens when you use Ctrl+D (File Bookmark), not Ctrl+B (Bookmark
    > Manager). It seems Firefox, Mozilla, and Communicator, also seem to
    > approach the use of Ctrl+D a little differently.
    >
    > On a lighter note: Thank for the clarification on the OP. The last thing
    > I wanted to do was, offend anyone.

    YW. I haven't switched from Netscape 7.2 to SeaMonkey, yet, but will
    do so shortly. Many of the SM settings, such as bookmark settings, can
    be changed from about:config --- just type it into your address bar.
    Use right-click with the appropriate parameter and toggle the setting.
    Some changes require a program restart, and should be similar to the
    same parameter in the Netscape and Mozilla Suites.

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread