Why don't messages persist across news sessions? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why don't messages persist across news sessions? - Mozilla ; I first noticed that my binary attachments (jpegs from alt.binaries.food) to messages were being downloaded every time I viewed them. It seems they don't stay with the newsgroup once you close down the mail/news windows - you have to download ...

  1. Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    I first noticed that my binary attachments (jpegs from
    alt.binaries.food) to messages were being downloaded every time I
    viewed them. It seems they don't stay with the newsgroup once you
    close down the mail/news windows - you have to download them every
    time.

    It seems text messages also behave this way - every time I want to
    view a text message (or attached jpeg), it has to go out to the
    server and download it.

    How do you get the messages to persist between sessions? I do not
    have SM set to delete any messages, ever.

    Also possibly related: downloading the binary attachments seems to
    take twice as long as it does in Forte Agent. I've timed a couple
    200K jpeg attachment downloads in both news clients and SM takes
    exactly twice as long.

    Anybody know how keep messages between sessions? TIA.

    -sw

  2. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    _Steve Wertz_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 11:33 PM:
    > I first noticed that my binary attachments (jpegs from
    > alt.binaries.food) to messages were being downloaded every time I viewed
    > them. It seems they don't stay with the newsgroup once you close down
    > the mail/news windows - you have to download them every time.
    >
    > It seems text messages also behave this way - every time I want to view
    > a text message (or attached jpeg), it has to go out to the server and
    > download it.
    >
    > How do you get the messages to persist between sessions? I do not have
    > SM set to delete any messages, ever.

    Edit -> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings -> -> Offline
    & Disk Space.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    /Chris Ilias/:
    > _Steve Wertz_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 11:33 PM:
    >
    >> I first noticed that my binary attachments (jpegs from
    >> alt.binaries.food) to messages were being downloaded every time I
    >> viewed them. It seems they don't stay with the newsgroup once you
    >> close down the mail/news windows - you have to download them every time.
    >>
    >> It seems text messages also behave this way - every time I want to
    >> view a text message (or attached jpeg), it has to go out to the server
    >> and download it.
    >>
    >> How do you get the messages to persist between sessions? I do not
    >> have SM set to delete any messages, ever.

    > Edit -> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings -> -> Offline
    > & Disk Space.

    -> Select newsgroups for offline use... and select the groups you
    want the messages you view do be downloaded locally and not just
    stored in the browser's cache where they expire pretty quickly.

    You could also select Properties... from the context menu of any
    newsgroup and check "Select this newsgroup for offline use" option
    on the "Offline" property page.

    --
    Stanimir

  4. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

    > -> Select newsgroups for offline use... and select the groups you want
    > the messages you view do be downloaded locally and not just stored in
    > the browser's cache where they expire pretty quickly.
    >
    > You could also select Properties... from the context menu of any
    > newsgroup and check "Select this newsgroup for offline use" option on
    > the "Offline" property page.

    I was wondering if that might be affecting it. I don't want to
    download the whole newsgroup, just selected messages. I'll give
    this a shot and and see if it works to my expectations.

    I just noticed my alt.binaries.food.dat file just got truncated to
    1K after downloading a few messages. Now it wants to download
    every header again (12,000 of them). I can still see the headers
    though.

    This is the second time this newsgroup has gotten corrupted.
    Doesn't look like Seamonkey handles binary groups very well. I
    remember having the same types of newsgroup corruption back in
    Communicator 4.7x on SCO and Windows as well. Is there an upper
    limit on the newsgroup's .dat file size?

    Thanks.

    -sw

  5. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    I meant the .msf files rather than the .dat files.

    -sw

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    > I just noticed my alt.binaries.food.MSF file just got truncated to 1K
    > after downloading a few messages. Now it wants to download every header
    > again (12,000 of them). I can still see the headers though.
    >
    > This is the second time this newsgroup has gotten corrupted. Doesn't
    > look like Seamonkey handles binary groups very well. I remember having
    > the same types of newsgroup corruption back in Communicator 4.7x on SCO
    > and Windows as well. Is there an upper limit on the newsgroup's .MSF
    > file size?

  6. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

    > -> Select newsgroups for offline use... and select the groups you want
    > the messages you view do be downloaded locally and not just stored in
    > the browser's cache where they expire pretty quickly.
    >
    > You could also select Properties... from the context menu of any
    > newsgroup and check "Select this newsgroup for offline use" option on
    > the "Offline" property page.

    Marking the group for offline use does not make the messages
    persist across sessions. I downloaded several small messages,
    closed SeaMonkey, including the memory resident portion, then
    started SM again and the attachments are not there. The text
    portion of the messages seem to be there, but the attachments are not.

    It also seems to be downloading the message twice each time I
    click on it. I'll turn on NNTP debugging to find out if this is
    true. Hmmm... How DO you turn on NNTP logging... I thought I
    had seen it somewhere in Preferential.

    -sw

  7. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >
    >> -> Select newsgroups for offline use... and select the groups you want
    >> the messages you view do be downloaded locally and not just stored in
    >> the browser's cache where they expire pretty quickly.
    >>
    >> You could also select Properties... from the context menu of any
    >> newsgroup and check "Select this newsgroup for offline use" option on
    >> the "Offline" property page.

    > Marking the group for offline use does not make the messages persist
    > across sessions. I downloaded several small messages, closed SeaMonkey,
    > including the memory resident portion, then started SM again and the
    > attachments are not there. The text portion of the messages seem to be
    > there, but the attachments are not.

    I've used Moz 1.7.* as well as SM to download some of these NG's for
    offline reading (File|Offline) and I've found that any attachments are
    NOT downloaded with the messages. Not a big problem, but an annoyance!

    > It also seems to be downloading the message twice each time I click on
    > it. I'll turn on NNTP debugging to find out if this is true. Hmmm...
    > How DO you turn on NNTP logging... I thought I had seen it somewhere in
    > Preferential.
    >
    > -sw

    After D/L'ing, if I'm still "Online" when I click on a message, it
    appears to D/L again (or at least to check back with the server), which
    I think is reasonable behaviour. Is this what you mean here?

    Daniel

  8. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    (Seems my previous message with a picture attachment didn't make it
    through.)

    /Steve Wertz/:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >
    >> -> Select newsgroups for offline use... and select the groups you want
    >> the messages you view do be downloaded locally and not just stored in
    >> the browser's cache where they expire pretty quickly.

    > Marking the group for offline use does not make the messages persist
    > across sessions. I downloaded several small messages, closed SeaMonkey,
    > including the memory resident portion, then started SM again and the
    > attachments are not there. The text portion of the messages seem to be
    > there, but the attachments are not.

    It works for me. I don't know what might be the problem on your side
    and I haven't tried with really large attachments. Check your
    "Offline & Disk Space" options, if you have checked something like
    "... do not download for offline use: Messages larger than _X_ KB"
    or something else which might cause messages not being stored
    permanently. Notice the downloaded messages get differently colored
    icon:

    http://www.geocities.com/stanio/temp/thread_pane.png

    --
    Stanimir

  9. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    /Stanimir Stamenkov/:
    > /Steve Wertz/:
    >
    >> Marking the group for offline use does not make the messages persist
    >> across sessions. I downloaded several small messages, closed
    >> SeaMonkey, including the memory resident portion, then started SM
    >> again and the attachments are not there. The text portion of the
    >> messages seem to be there, but the attachments are not.

    > It works for me.

    Hm, I've just tried and I was able to reproduce your problem for
    messages with image attachments, for example. Messages with text
    attachments (incl. HTML) seem o.k.

    --
    Stanimir

  10. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

    > (Seems my previous message with a picture attachment didn't make it
    > through.)

    [SNIP]
    pic, audie, video, etc attachments are not permitted here. Just plain
    non-binary attachments are allowed

    --
    Time for a change

  11. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Daniel wrote:

    [SNIP]

    > I've used Moz 1.7.* as well as SM to download some of these NG's for
    > offline reading (File|Offline) and I've found that any attachments are
    > NOT downloaded with the messages. Not a big problem, but an annoyance!
    >
    > [SNIP]
    > Daniel

    I've never had that problem. I just click on the messages I want and
    drag them to a folder in my local folders.

    --
    Time for a change

  12. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >
    >> (Seems my previous message with a picture attachment didn't make it
    >> through.)
    >>

    > [SNIP]
    > pic, audie, video, etc attachments are not permitted here. Just plain
    > non-binary attachments are allowed

    Might not be permitted here, gw, but has that ever stopped some one
    posting an image of the error message that they are getting, of course,
    just to assist with the fault-finding.

    These are usually the ones that don't get d/l'ed when I d/l messages for
    off-line reading.

    (I have the "Don't download for "Offline and Disk Space

    O.K., now I'm really confused! Where is this setting, which I'm sure
    I've set in the past to be 100kB?

    I thought it was Edit|Mail&Newsgroups Account Settings|Offline&Disk
    Space, but all I see there, now, is "Offline" (to select groups to D/L)
    and "Disk Space" (to save disk space {nothing selected} and recover disk
    space {where "Don't delete any messages" is selected}. I'm sure there
    should be a third section here!

    Daniel

  13. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    _Daniel_ spoke thusly on 05/02/2006 10:50 PM:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> pic, audie, video, etc attachments are not permitted here. Just plain
    >> non-binary attachments are allowed

    > Might not be permitted here, gw, but has that ever stopped some one
    > posting an image of the error message that they are getting, of course,
    > just to assist with the fault-finding.

    Yes. It's a server-side filter.
    For more info, see .
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  14. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Daniel_ spoke thusly on 05/02/2006 10:50 PM:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>
    >>> pic, audie, video, etc attachments are not permitted here. Just
    >>> plain non-binary attachments are allowed

    >> Might not be permitted here, gw, but has that ever stopped some one
    >> posting an image of the error message that they are getting, of
    >> course, just to assist with the fault-finding.

    > Yes. It's a server-side filter.
    > For more info, see .

    Come on, Chris, you must have know that I was really thinking of the
    Secnews groups!

    Daniel

  15. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Daniel wrote:

    > After D/L'ing, if I'm still "Online" when I click on a message, it
    > appears to D/L again (or at least to check back with the server), which
    > I think is reasonable behaviour. Is this what you mean here?

    The first time I click on a message with a JPEG attachment, it
    appears to download it twice, just judging by the amount of time
    it takes. If I try and look at that attachment again after
    restarting SM, it had to download it again.

    -sw

  16. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

    > Hm, I've just tried and I was able to reproduce your problem for
    > messages with image attachments, for example. Messages with text
    > attachments (incl. HTML) seem o.k.

    I haven't come across any HTML messages yet (most of the groups I
    visit are pretty wise to that), but it certainly is the case with
    binary attachments. Thanks for confirming it - I beginning to
    think maybe it was just my ora.

    -sw

  17. Re: Why don't messages persist across news sessions?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >
    >> (Seems my previous message with a picture attachment didn't make it
    >> through.)
    >>

    > [SNIP]
    > pic, audie, video, etc attachments are not permitted here. Just plain
    > non-binary attachments are allowed

    Yeah - I think Giganews hosts this server, and they strip out any
    binary attachments.

    -sw

+ Reply to Thread