Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla - Mozilla ; Is there an install FAQ posted somewhere that goes through a step by step for installing Seamonkey on a PC with Mozilla already installed, and then removing Mozilla? If not, does this correctly sum it up for WinXP and Win98SE ...

  1. Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    Is there an install FAQ posted somewhere that goes through a step by step
    for installing Seamonkey on a PC with Mozilla already installed, and then
    removing Mozilla? If not, does this correctly sum it up for WinXP and
    Win98SE machines?

    - Install Seamonkey in the default folder
    - Copy the plugin directory files in the Mozilla folder to the equivalent
    Seamonkey folder
    - Install extensions manually
    - Mozilla profile settings will be automatically imported when Seamonkey
    is started
    - Uninstall Mozilla (optional)

    TIA, Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    |edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NOSPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

  2. Re: Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    Gary A. Edelstein wrote:

    > Is there an install FAQ posted somewhere that goes through a step by step
    > for installing Seamonkey on a PC with Mozilla already installed, and then
    > removing Mozilla? If not, does this correctly sum it up for WinXP and
    > Win98SE machines?
    >
    > - Install Seamonkey in the default folder
    > - Copy the plugin directory files in the Mozilla folder to the equivalent
    > Seamonkey folder
    > - Install extensions manually
    > - Mozilla profile settings will be automatically imported when Seamonkey
    > is started
    > - Uninstall Mozilla (optional)
    >
    > TIA, Gary E

    If that's the route you want to go.

    Or you can have a separate profile just for Moz and one just for SM.
    That way you can keep both programs

    Or just have SM pick up your Moz profile. Just don't use the same
    profile for both programs.

    --
    Time for a change

  3. Re: Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    In article ,
    TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116 says...

    >Just don't use the same profile for both programs.

    Why? It seemed to work OK on a test machine I was using.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    |edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NOSPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

  4. Re: Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:57:32 -0600, Gary A. Edelstein wrote:
    > In article ,

    >>Just don't use the same profile for both programs.

    > Why? It seemed to work OK on a test machine I was using.

    Going forward is fine. Reverting back to Mozilla may cause problems if you
    have installed some extensions into the profile when running Seamonkey.

    Phil
    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]I wish I had a snappy Trek Tagline to put here...

  5. Re: Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    On 2/4/2006 5:54 AM Philip Chee wrote:

    > Going forward is fine. Reverting back to Mozilla may cause problems if you
    > have installed some extensions into the profile when running Seamonkey.

    Some people say it works, some experience problems, I think it depends
    on the addons you use.

    OJ
    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
    day they start making vacuum cleaners."

  6. Re: Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    Gary A. Edelstein schrieb:
    > In article ,
    > TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116 says...
    >
    >> Just don't use the same profile for both programs.
    >>

    > Why? It seemed to work OK on a test machine I was using.

    It should work well most of the time as long as you don't use
    extensions. With extensions (maybe even ones that are incompatible with
    one of the versions), many people get into problems.

    Robert Kaiser

  7. Re: Install FAQ for PCs with Mozilla

    In article , philip.chee@gmail.com
    says...

    >On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:57:32 -0600, Gary A. Edelstein wrote:
    >> In article ,

    >>>Just don't use the same profile for both programs.

    >> Why? It seemed to work OK on a test machine I was using.

    >Going forward is fine. Reverting back to Mozilla may cause problems if you
    >have installed some extensions into the profile when running Seamonkey.

    Thanks, this makes sense. The test machine had no added extensions, only
    plug-ins.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    |edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NOSPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

+ Reply to Thread