Writing extensions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Writing extensions - Mozilla ; I found lots of websites explaining extension writing, but they all say they are for mozilla or firefox. Can I follow them and create an extension for Seamonkey? Also can you just add things to the browser (that's what all ...

  1. Writing extensions

    I found lots of websites explaining extension writing, but they all say
    they are for mozilla or firefox. Can I follow them and create an
    extension for Seamonkey?

    Also can you just add things to the browser (that's what all the
    tutorials I found are for)? I want to do something with the mail client
    part.

  2. Re: Writing extensions

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:39:10 +0100, Bungert wrote:

    > I found lots of websites explaining extension writing, but they all say
    > they are for mozilla or firefox. Can I follow them and create an
    > extension for Seamonkey?

    As far as extension writing is concerned, Seamonkey can be treated the same
    way as Mozilla Suite.

    > Also can you just add things to the browser (that's what all the
    > tutorials I found are for)? I want to do something with the mail client
    > part.

    You can overlay navigator.xul for the browser, and messenger.xul for the
    mailnews client.

    Phil
    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Tis but a flesh wound...

  3. Re: Writing extensions

    Bungert wrote:

    > I found lots of websites explaining extension writing, but they all say
    > they are for mozilla or firefox. Can I follow them and create an
    > extension for Seamonkey?
    >
    > Also can you just add things to the browser (that's what all the
    > tutorials I found are for)? I want to do something with the mail client
    > part.

    from my understanding, there is a difference for writing an extension
    for SM and Firefox [or even Thunderbird]. Because they are different
    programs, they treat extensions differently.

    Following the instructions for creating an extension for Mozilla will
    work for SM. After all, Moz and SM are basically the same program.
    Are they not? SM is the new name for Moz and continues where Moz left
    off.

    --
    Time for a change

  4. Re: Writing extensions

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:30:59 -0800, gwtc wrote:

    > from my understanding, there is a difference for writing an extension
    > for SM and Firefox [or even Thunderbird]. Because they are different
    > programs, they treat extensions differently.

    > Following the instructions for creating an extension for Mozilla will
    > work for SM. After all, Moz and SM are basically the same program.
    > Are they not? SM is the new name for Moz and continues where Moz left
    > off.

    As part of the xSidebar project (see my .sig) I've been porting several
    Firefox 1.0.7 only sidebar extensions to Seamonkey. For the simpler
    extensions I found that I only needed to make two or three changes:

    1. A valid install.js file - some of them even have one left over from the
    firebird 0.8 days.
    2. in contents.rdf - add an extra stanza to overlay navigator.xul which is
    the seamonkey equivalent of browser.xul.
    3. Some of the menu items are in different places and the element IDs are
    differently named (e.g mainBroadcasterset vs NavBroadcasterset) and your
    overlay needs to be adjusted for these differences.

    In my downloads subdirectory: I
    have a file called: install-template.js which you can use as a starting
    point. Just change the required variables to match your extension, rename it
    to install.js and stick it into the root of your .XPI file.

    Phil
    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]This reply was foil wrapped for maximum freshness

+ Reply to Thread