Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out... - Mozilla ; Hi all! Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows, Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux? Or are there lots of incompatibilities with the current extensions, plugins, etc.? Thank you in advance. -- Phillip Pi ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst

  2. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    On 01/31/2006 10:04 PM Phillip Pi wrote:

    > Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    > Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux? Or are there lots of incompatibilities with
    > the current extensions, plugins, etc.?

    As you posted in m.s.seamonkey, all of your questions should be
    answered there. Read the threads that are already going on...
    This NG is the wrong place.

    OJ
    --
    `However, let us assume that you have invited me warmly into your
    house. It is unwise to linger overlong on doorsteps in these troubled

  3. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:
    > Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    > Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux?

    Yes.
    [posted only in mozilla.support.seamonkey]
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  4. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:
    >> Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    >> Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux?

    > Yes.

    Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12

    e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    (if that's the correct terminology)

    In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  5. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    On 1/31/2006 2:51 PM PT, Gerry Hickman wrote:

    >>> Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    >>> Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux?

    >> Yes.

    > Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    > have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >
    > e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    > my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    > seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    > Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    > (if that's the correct terminology)
    >
    > In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12

    Hmm, maybe I should wait. What about other sites?
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    ISP/Symantec Online Services
    Symantec Corporation
    www.symantec.com
    Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    views of my employer. Thank you.

  6. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Gerry Hickman wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:
    >>> Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    >>> Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux?

    >> Yes.

    > Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    > have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >
    > e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    > my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    > seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    > Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    > (if that's the correct terminology)
    >
    > In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12

    I would not be doing business with *that* bank! I just checked and I am
    able to login to my credit union's site with SeaMonkey 1.0 with no
    problems ..I have *never* had any trouble with their site ..I have used
    Netscape, Mozilla & Firefox & now SeaMonkey with no problems whatsoever.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

  7. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Phillip Pi wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >> Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    >> have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >>
    >> e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    >> my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    >> seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    >> Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    >> (if that's the correct terminology)
    >>
    >> In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12

    > Hmm, maybe I should wait. What about other sites?

    SeaMonkey uses the same HTML rendering engine as Firefox does. So sites
    working in Firefox also work in SeaMonkey.

    --
    Holger

  8. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    On 01/31/2006 11:51 PM Gerry Hickman wrote:

    > Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    > have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12

    I dont know why he should. Unless...

    > e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    > my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    > seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    > Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    > (if that's the correct terminology)

    .... you have problems with a website, that is not following the
    standards or "broken-by-design". If your bank is not able to put up a
    working website, then its their fault.

    OJ
    (Douglas Adams)

  9. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Phillip Pi wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    > Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux? Or are there lots of incompatibilities with
    > the current extensions, plugins, etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    I have used it to replace my Firefox Nightly, and I have started using
    the newsreader and IRC tools...I have not has any issues in the last 24hrs.

    -keith

  10. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Gerry Hickman wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:
    >>> Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    >>> Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux?

    >> Yes.

    > Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    > have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >
    > e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    > my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    > seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    > Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    > (if that's the correct terminology)
    >
    > In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12

    Your bank sucks. The only site that has ever given me trouble is
    Nintendo.com.

    -Chris

  11. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Chris Thomas wrote:

    > Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >
    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>>_Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:

    >>>Yes.

    >>Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    >>have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >>
    >>e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    >>my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    >>seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    >>Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    >>(if that's the correct terminology)
    >>
    >>In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12
    >>

    > Your bank sucks. The only site that has ever given me trouble is
    > Nintendo.com.
    >
    > -Chris

    get the User Agent Switcher:
    http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/. With this program,
    you can spoof the UA and get in. I'm using Moz 1.7.12, and I got the
    following message:

    "viewing this site requires at least Netscape 6.2, Microsoft Internet
    Explorer 6.0, Safari 1.0 or Firefox 1.0."

    So I switched my UA to FF 1.0.7 and I got in. Go figure.

    --
    Time for a change

  12. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Holger Metzger wrote:

    > SeaMonkey uses the same HTML rendering engine as Firefox does. So sites
    > working in Firefox also work in SeaMonkey.

    Yes, but I'm talking about sites that CHECK the UserAgent string - most
    banks will check it, and so will many other big sites.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  13. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Johannes Kastl wrote:

    > ... you have problems with a website, that is not following the
    > standards or "broken-by-design". If your bank is not able to put up a
    > working website, then its their fault.

    They have a website that works perfectly in IE5/6/7 and Mozilla 4.x, 7.x
    and also 1.7.x, Opera v xx, Safari v xx, but they never added Mozilla
    1.8.x to the manifest.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  14. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Hi gwtc,

    If you'd read my original post, I already explained I'd changed the
    UserAgent string.

    gwtc wrote:
    > Chris Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Gerry Hickman wrote:

    >>> Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he
    >>> could have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >>>
    >>> e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log
    >>> onto my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or
    >>> take it seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not
    >>> being on Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported
    >>> Mozilla product (if that's the correct terminology)
    >>>
    >>> In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12
    >>>

    >> Your bank sucks. The only site that has ever given me trouble is
    >> Nintendo.com.
    >>
    >> -Chris

    > get the User Agent Switcher:
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/. With this program,
    > you can spoof the UA and get in. I'm using Moz 1.7.12, and I got the
    > following message:
    >
    > "viewing this site requires at least Netscape 6.2, Microsoft Internet
    > Explorer 6.0, Safari 1.0 or Firefox 1.0."
    >
    > So I switched my UA to FF 1.0.7 and I got in. Go figure.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  15. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Gerry Hickman wrote:

    > Holger Metzger wrote:
    >

    >>SeaMonkey uses the same HTML rendering engine as Firefox does. So sites
    >>working in Firefox also work in SeaMonkey.

    > Yes, but I'm talking about sites that CHECK the UserAgent string - most
    > banks will check it, and so will many other big sites.

    you can change the UA by using the User Agent Switcher:
    http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

    --
    Time for a change

  16. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Gerry Hickman schrieb:
    > They have a website that works perfectly in IE5/6/7 and Mozilla 4.x, 7.x
    > and also 1.7.x, Opera v xx, Safari v xx, but they never added Mozilla
    > 1.8.x to the manifest.

    "Mozilla 4.x, 7.x" ??? I guess you mean Netscape releases of those
    version numbers ;-)

    Robert Kaiser

  17. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Gerry Hickman schrieb:
    >> They have a website that works perfectly in IE5/6/7 and Mozilla 4.x,
    >> 7.x and also 1.7.x, Opera v xx, Safari v xx, but they never added
    >> Mozilla 1.8.x to the manifest.

    > "Mozilla 4.x, 7.x" ??? I guess you mean Netscape releases of those
    > version numbers ;-)

    Yes, I tend to forget the Netscape brand name ever existed. I also
    forgot to mention their site also works in FireFox (which I also tend to
    forget exists).

    All web developers have to decide limits of what they'll develop for;
    there's no complex site that will work perfectly in every browser ever
    released. Their site has a lot of JavaScript and uses the DOM and this
    makes it very nice to use, but it also means they have to test it in a
    lot of browsers.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  18. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Gerry Hickman wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:
    >>> Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    >>> Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux?

    >> Yes.

    > Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he could
    > have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >
    > e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    > my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    > seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    > Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla product
    > (if that's the correct terminology)
    >
    > In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12

    Need that on a per-site basis! I can't tell you how many crap sites
    won't let you in if you don't use MS software.
    --
    mozilla could read my .signature file...

  19. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2006 4:04 PM:
    >>>
    >>> Yes.

    >> Certainly "safe" (it won't break his computer or anything), but he
    >> could have trouble with a lot more websites than under 1.7.12
    >>
    >> e.g. When I first switched to SeaMonkey, I suddenly could not log onto
    >> my bank anymore! They refused to add it to their manifest or take it
    >> seriously for reasons we discussed in the thread about it not being on
    >> Mozilla home page and not being an "official" supported Mozilla
    >> product (if that's the correct terminology)
    >>
    >> In the end I had to hack the UserAgent string to pretend to be 1.7.12
    >>

    > I would not be doing business with *that* bank! I just checked and I am
    > able to login to my credit union's site with SeaMonkey 1.0 with no
    > problems ..I have *never* had any trouble with their site ..I have used
    > Netscape, Mozilla & Firefox & now SeaMonkey with no problems whatsoever.

    They do it to protect you, so you don't get part way through a
    transaction and have it blow up. The official seamonkey has been out for
    only a few days, the sky is not falling because a bank has not heard of
    it or put it through their vetting process.

    Be glas they HAVE a vetting process...
    --
    Wish SM could read ~/.signature... :-(

  20. Re: Since Seamonkey v1.0 is finally out...

    Keith wrote:
    > Phillip Pi wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> Is it safe to use Seamonkey to replace my Mozilla v1.7.12 in Windows,
    >> Mac OS X 10.2.8, and Linux? Or are there lots of incompatibilities
    >> with the current extensions, plugins, etc.?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.

    > I have used it to replace my Firefox Nightly, and I have started using
    > the newsreader and IRC tools...I have not has any issues in the last 24hrs.

    Several online articles indicate the CZ is not the latest, and suggest
    that an update is desirable. Since I did that with mozilla I am shortly
    going to do it with SM, as well as try install of the plugins for stuff
    I really need.

    Haven't lost my moz 1.7.12 install package tho ;-)
    --
    Two other mail and news agents can read .signature...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast