SeaMonkey not well publicised? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey not well publicised? - Mozilla ; Hi, Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages, it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey project. -- Gerry Hickman (London UK)...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  2. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    On 01/19/06 17:55, Gerry Hickman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages, it
    > seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey project.

    Hmm. You're right. Camino is mentioned in the 'Other Products' section,
    and it's not an official Mozilla Foundation/Corporation project. Perhaps
    SeaMonkey will be added once 1.0 is released?
    --
    Yay!

  3. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/19/06 17:55, Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages,
    >> it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey
    >> project.

    > Hmm. You're right. Camino is mentioned in the 'Other Products' section,
    > and it's not an official Mozilla Foundation/Corporation project. Perhaps
    > SeaMonkey will be added once 1.0 is released?

    Yes you really have to go looking for it with the knowledge that it
    exists in the first place. But if you do a google on seamonkey you get
    lots of relevant links.

    I do think it deserves it's own link on their home page though.

    --
    -Adrian
    "A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt:

  4. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    On 01/19/06 20:14, Adrian wrote:
    > Yes you really have to go looking for it with the knowledge that it
    > exists in the first place. But if you do a google on seamonkey you get
    > lots of relevant links.

    True, it is on Google. But you still have to go looking for it.

    > I do think it deserves it's own link on their home page though.

    Mm-hmm. I expect everybody's just been busy, or they're just waiting for
    a release.

    Someone wanna file a bug or look for one?
    --
    Yay!

  5. SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Gerry Hickman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages, it
    > seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey project.

    Why? There are some people who do not want SeaMonkey to succeed and
    become popular thus they refuse to aid in publicizing it on their home
    page. How many times has the issue come up over the past six or seven
    months about proving proper links to publicize SeaMonkey at Mozilla.org
    all which have been ignored. There are some people who wish SeaMonkey
    would simply go away and quietly die out.

    Lets show these people that SeaMonkey refuses to go away or die out and
    that SeaMonkey is the best solution for many end users and we do not
    have to be limited to FireFox/ThunderBird if we want to use Gecko on the
    web/internet.

    Paul.

    Maybe we should begin our own spread SeaMonkey Campaign instead of
    waiting for Mozilla.org to officially recognize SeaMonkey exists and is
    a viable software project using gecko (which many users prefer to
    FireFox/Thunderbird).

  6. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    On 01/19/06 22:00, Paul Bergsagel wrote:
    > Why? There are some people who do not want SeaMonkey to succeed and
    > become popular thus they refuse to aid in publicizing it on their home
    > page. How many times has the issue come up over the past six or seven
    > months about proving proper links to publicize SeaMonkey at Mozilla.org
    > all which have been ignored. There are some people who wish SeaMonkey
    > would simply go away and quietly die out.
    >
    > Lets show these people that SeaMonkey refuses to go away or die out and
    > that SeaMonkey is the best solution for many end users and we do not
    > have to be limited to FireFox/ThunderBird if we want to use Gecko on the
    > web/internet.

    There are numerous other Gecko-based browsers and a couple other email
    clients (only one I can think of is Netscape, but there have gotta be
    others).

    > Paul.
    >
    > Maybe we should begin our own spread SeaMonkey Campaign instead of
    > waiting for Mozilla.org to officially recognize SeaMonkey exists and is
    > a viable software project using gecko (which many users prefer to
    > FireFox/Thunderbird).

    Server space and legal representation isn't officially recognizing
    SeaMonkey exists?
    --
    Yay!

  7. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Andrew Schultz wrote:

    > Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages,
    >> it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey
    >> project.

    > SeaMonkey is the first project listed (as a "Browser Component") on
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ which is the page you get when you
    > click on the "Projects" link in the ubiquitous sidebar. I'm not sure
    > how SeaMonkey is a "Browser Component". Ironically, Firefox is listed
    > most of the way down the page as an "Other Browser Project". Camino
    > is not listed at all.

    For what it's worth I think we are all talking about the same subject,
    public knowledge. The general web browsing public has no idea SeaMonkey
    is coming into its own unique niche as a web browser suite. It is true
    Mozilla.org recognizes SeaMonkey as a project, but also disassociates
    itself from SeaMonkey on their web pages.

    What SeaMonkey needs is a marketing plan to push the suite into the
    public eye. 8-) This plan should be starting now before the public
    release of 1.0 so we have something ready when the release is made. I
    don't suggest we make a public splash now while we are still in a
    testing phase, wait till the big bugs are out and the product is almost
    ready for release. Tease the public with snips of what is coming, then
    hit them hard with all the great assets Firefox, Thunderbird, and
    Outlook don't have. But, above all don't degrade the others, just
    enlighten the public on the positive side of SeaMonkey.

    Michael

  8. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Michael wrote:

    > Andrew Schultz wrote:
    >

    >>Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages,
    >>>it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey
    >>>project.

    >>SeaMonkey is the first project listed (as a "Browser Component") on
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ which is the page you get when you
    >>click on the "Projects" link in the ubiquitous sidebar. I'm not sure
    >>how SeaMonkey is a "Browser Component". Ironically, Firefox is listed
    >>most of the way down the page as an "Other Browser Project". Camino
    >>is not listed at all.
    >>

    > For what it's worth I think we are all talking about the same subject,
    > public knowledge. The general web browsing public has no idea SeaMonkey
    > is coming into its own unique niche as a web browser suite. It is true
    > Mozilla.org recognizes SeaMonkey as a project, but also disassociates
    > itself from SeaMonkey on their web pages.
    >
    > What SeaMonkey needs is a marketing plan to push the suite into the
    > public eye. 8-) This plan should be starting now before the public
    > release of 1.0 so we have something ready when the release is made. I
    > don't suggest we make a public splash now while we are still in a
    > testing phase, wait till the big bugs are out and the product is almost
    > ready for release. Tease the public with snips of what is coming, then
    > hit them hard with all the great assets Firefox, Thunderbird, and
    > Outlook don't have. But, above all don't degrade the others, just
    > enlighten the public on the positive side of SeaMonkey.
    >
    > Michael

    I don't think there will be any publicity, after all its NOT an
    official Mozilla product.

  9. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    _Paul Bergsagel_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2006 10:00 PM:
    > Why? There are some people who do not want SeaMonkey to succeed and
    > become popular thus they refuse to aid in publicizing it on their home
    > page. How many times has the issue come up over the past six or seven
    > months about proving proper links to publicize SeaMonkey at Mozilla.org
    > all which have been ignored. There are some people who wish SeaMonkey
    > would simply go away and quietly die out.
    >
    > Lets show these people that SeaMonkey refuses to go away or die out and
    > that SeaMonkey is the best solution for many end users and we do not
    > have to be limited to FireFox/ThunderBird if we want to use Gecko on the
    > web/internet.
    >
    > Paul.
    >
    > Maybe we should begin our own spread SeaMonkey Campaign instead of
    > waiting for Mozilla.org to officially recognize SeaMonkey exists and is
    > a viable software project using gecko (which many users prefer to
    > FireFox/Thunderbird).

    I think a spread SeaMonkey campaign is a great idea. But I think you
    should first verse yourself on the relationship between Mozilla.org and
    the SeaMonkey project.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  10. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    gwtc wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> Andrew Schultz wrote:

    >>> SeaMonkey is the first project listed (as a "Browser Component") on
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ which is the page you get when you
    >>> click on the "Projects" link in the ubiquitous sidebar. I'm not
    >>> sure how SeaMonkey is a "Browser Component". Ironically, Firefox is
    >>> listed most of the way down the page as an "Other Browser Project".
    >>> Camino is not listed at all.
    >>>

    >> For what it's worth I think we are all talking about the same
    >> subject, public knowledge. The general web browsing public has no
    >> idea SeaMonkey is coming into its own unique niche as a web browser
    >> suite. It is true Mozilla.org recognizes SeaMonkey as a project, but
    >> also disassociates itself from SeaMonkey on their web pages.
    >>
    >> What SeaMonkey needs is a marketing plan to push the suite into the
    >> public eye. 8-) This plan should be starting now before the public
    >> release of 1.0 so we have something ready when the release is made.
    >> I don't suggest we make a public splash now while we are still in a
    >> testing phase, wait till the big bugs are out and the product is
    >> almost ready for release. Tease the public with snips of what is
    >> coming, then hit them hard with all the great assets Firefox,
    >> Thunderbird, and Outlook don't have. But, above all don't degrade
    >> the others, just enlighten the public on the positive side of SeaMonkey.
    >>
    >> Michael

    > I don't think there will be any publicity, after all its NOT an
    > official Mozilla product.

    I agree SeaMonkey is not a Mozilla project, so let me clarify my
    position. The core SeaMonkey support group needs to create a marketing
    program similar in nature to Firefox and push the product to the
    public. There needs to be some contact with industry giants who might
    be supporting the suite in the background for the expertize needed for a
    first rate marketing campaign.

    Michael

  11. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Paul Bergsagel wrote in

    > Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home
    >> pages, it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of,
    >> the SeaMonkey project.
    >>

    > Why? There are some people who do not want SeaMonkey to
    > succeed and become popular thus they refuse to aid in
    > publicizing it on their home page.

    What a load of crock!

    N-Vu isn't listed either, and no one is against that. It's an
    outside project, and the web page currently doesn't list those.

    Complaining that there are no links is valid, making up stuff
    like this isn't.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Hey, go buy a plane ticket to another state of mind, okay?

  12. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Sur 2006-01-20, Chris Ilias skribis:

    > I think a spread SeaMonkey campaign is a great idea.

    Here are a couple things people can do right now:

    * Put a SeaMonkey logo on your web site(s)

    (I'm doing this in the sidebar on my Deflexion.com site)

    * Whenever you use SeaMonkey to send a message, include a
    signature that says 'Sent with SeaMonkey'

    > But I think you should first verse yourself on the relationship
    > between Mozilla.org and the SeaMonkey project.

    I think I understand the relationship, but I have a question - is
    it correct to say that

    "Firefox/Thunderbird are for-profit projects while SeaMonkey is
    a not-for-profit project. If you like supporting non profits,
    use SeaMonkey!"

    Before I start saying that on my blog and in discussion groups, I
    want to make sure it is correct.

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    --
    Nancy McGough ~ ~
    IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more
    > > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < <

  13. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    NM Public wrote in
    ..hx:

    > Sur 2006-01-20, Chris Ilias skribis:
    >>
    >> I think a spread SeaMonkey campaign is a great idea.

    > Here are a couple things people can do right now:
    >
    > * Put a SeaMonkey logo on your web site(s)
    >
    > (I'm doing this in the sidebar on my Deflexion.com site)
    >
    > * Whenever you use SeaMonkey to send a message, include a
    > signature that says 'Sent with SeaMonkey'
    >

    >> But I think you should first verse yourself on the
    >> relationship between Mozilla.org and the SeaMonkey project.

    > I think I understand the relationship, but I have a question -
    > is it correct to say that
    >
    > "Firefox/Thunderbird are for-profit projects while SeaMonkey
    > is a not-for-profit project. If you like supporting non
    > profits, use SeaMonkey!"

    No, that would be an outright lie. BOTH are not-for-profit
    projects.

    > Before I start saying that on my blog and in discussion
    > groups, I want to make sure it is correct.

    FireFox/Thunderbird are being developed by Mozilla.org, SeaMonkey
    is an independent project being developed by an outside group.
    SeaMonkey receives the same level of support from Mozilla as
    Lightning and NVu.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

  14. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Hi Christopher,

    >>> But I think you should first verse yourself on the
    >>> relationship between Mozilla.org and the SeaMonkey project.

    Is there a web page that explains this anywhere?

    > FireFox/Thunderbird are being developed by Mozilla.org, SeaMonkey
    > is an independent project being developed by an outside group.
    > SeaMonkey receives the same level of support from Mozilla as
    > Lightning and NVu.

    Thanks for clarification in these matters.

    For me, this changes everything though; I didn't know this was the case
    and it's knocked my confidence in the future of SeaMonkey. I'm looking
    for a free and open-source browser/mail/news that's ready to take on the
    Enterprise space with full support for custom deployment, roaming
    profiles, IMAP, GroupWise Exchange etc., for Windows/Linux/Unix/Mac.

    I thought SeaMonkey was best suited to this, but I don't see how it can
    succeed without blessing of Mozilla Corp and Mozilla Org. The fact it's
    listed on a hidden "project" page doesn't mean anything in the context
    of global marketing.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  15. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Gerry Hickman wrote in

    > Hi Christopher,

    > Is there a web page that explains this anywhere?
    >
    >> FireFox/Thunderbird are being developed by Mozilla.org,
    >> SeaMonkey is an independent project being developed by an
    >> outside group. SeaMonkey receives the same level of support
    >> from Mozilla as Lightning and NVu.

    > Thanks for clarification in these matters.
    >
    > For me, this changes everything though; I didn't know this was
    > the case and it's knocked my confidence in the future of
    > SeaMonkey. I'm looking for a free and open-source
    > browser/mail/news that's ready to take on the Enterprise space
    > with full support for custom deployment, roaming profiles,
    > IMAP, GroupWise Exchange etc., for Windows/Linux/Unix/Mac.
    >
    > I thought SeaMonkey was best suited to this, but I don't see
    > how it can succeed without blessing of Mozilla Corp and
    > Mozilla Org.

    Who says they don't have the blessing? That's an uninformed
    opinion at best. Mozilla Corp isn't developing it themselves,
    but they are dedicated to the proliferation and improvement of
    the codebase.

    > The fact it's listed on a hidden "project" page
    > doesn't mean anything in the context of global marketing.

    I think it's premature to worry. Mozilla is an "independent
    project", as is Linux. They're both doing very well.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't
    happen at once.

  16. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Gerry Hickman wrote:

    > I don't see how it (SeaMonkey) can
    > succeed without the blessing of Mozilla Corp and Mozilla Org.

    As far as I understand, it has everything, except you cant to have
    direct (phone/email) support from Mozilla for it. The last version of
    what is now seamonkey that had full support was the Mozill Suite 1.7
    branch. There will never be a fully supported 1.8 suite.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    -Adrian
    "A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt:
    short enough to arouse interest
    but long enough to cover the essentials." (-;
    ~Ronald Knox

  17. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    _Gerry Hickman_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 6:14 PM:
    > Hi Christopher,

    > Is there a web page that explains this anywhere?

    A good start is here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/reorganization/

    You should also read the blog posts, in the RSS feed linked on that page.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  18. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    _Chris Ilias_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2006 1:54 AM:
    > _Gerry Hickman_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2006 6:14 PM:
    >> Hi Christopher,

    >> Is there a web page that explains this anywhere?

    > A good start is here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/reorganization/
    >
    > You should also read the blog posts, in the RSS feed linked on that page.

    Whoops. I guess that wasn't really what you were asking. :-[
    There was a good discussion about this a while back on n.p.m.seamonkey.
    See:

    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  19. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Isotope, 21-01-2006 13:43:
    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:26:36 +0000, NM Public
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Sur 2006-01-20, Chris Ilias skribis:

    >> * Put a SeaMonkey logo on your web site(s)
    >>
    >> (I'm doing this in the sidebar on my Deflexion.com site)

    > Those logos are ok, but they don't say what SM is. Coincidentally last
    > night I decided to add a get-seamonkey-now type graphic to my site and
    > couldn't find any, so I cut and resized part of
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
    > to get:
    > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1071/sea1sy.gif
    > It is barely readable, but isn't too bad considering my poor graphics
    > skills. It's linked to the first url above.

    Seamonkey image with a transparent background:
    http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5...amonkey9wl.png

    with a white background:
    http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4...onkeywb3tw.png

    with the background of the same color as the webpage:
    http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5...onkeycb1bf.png

  20. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    wrote:

    >Sur 2006-01-20, Chris Ilias skribis:

    > * Put a SeaMonkey logo on your web site(s)
    >
    > (I'm doing this in the sidebar on my Deflexion.com site)

    >Thanks,
    > Nancy

    Those logos are ok, but they don't say what SM is. Coincidentally last
    night I decided to add a get-seamonkey-now type graphic to my site and
    couldn't find any, so I cut and resized part of
    to get:
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1071/sea1sy.gif
    It is barely readable, but isn't too bad considering my poor graphics
    skills. It's linked to the first url above.

    Hopefully someone with talent will come up with something better.....

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast