SeaMonkey not well publicised? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey not well publicised? - Mozilla ; Asrail wrote: > Isotope, 21-01-2006 13:43: > >>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:26:36 +0000, NM Public >>wrote: >> >> >>>Sur 2006-01-20, Chris Ilias skribis: >> >>> * Put a SeaMonkey logo on your web site(s) >>> >>> (I'm doing this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

  1. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Asrail wrote:

    > Isotope, 21-01-2006 13:43:
    >
    >>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:26:36 +0000, NM Public
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sur 2006-01-20, Chris Ilias skribis:

    >>> * Put a SeaMonkey logo on your web site(s)
    >>>
    >>> (I'm doing this in the sidebar on my Deflexion.com site)

    >>Those logos are ok, but they don't say what SM is. Coincidentally last
    >>night I decided to add a get-seamonkey-now type graphic to my site and
    >>couldn't find any, so I cut and resized part of
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
    >>to get:
    >>http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1071/sea1sy.gif
    >>It is barely readable, but isn't too bad considering my poor graphics
    >>skills. It's linked to the first url above.
    >>

    > Seamonkey image with a transparent background:
    > http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5...amonkey9wl.png
    >
    > with a white background:
    > http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4...onkeywb3tw.png
    >
    > with the background of the same color as the webpage:
    > http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5...onkeycb1bf.png

    one and two look the same to me

    --
    Time for a change

  2. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    gwtc wrote:

    >> Seamonkey image with a transparent background:
    >> http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5...amonkey9wl.png
    >>
    >> with a white background:
    >> http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4...onkeywb3tw.png

    > one and two look the same to me

    Not, if you use a different background color.
    http://lahls.de/temp/sm-banner.html
    --
    best regards

  3. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Ruediger Lahl wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>>Seamonkey image with a transparent background:
    >>>http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5...amonkey9wl.png
    >>>
    >>>with a white background:
    >>>http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4...onkeywb3tw.png

    >>one and two look the same to me

    > Not, if you use a different background color.
    > http://lahls.de/temp/sm-banner.html

    OK, I see what you mean now.

    --
    Time for a change

  4. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    >> A good start is here:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/reorganization/
    >>
    >> You should also read the blog posts, in the RSS feed linked on that page.

    > Whoops. I guess that wasn't really what you were asking.

    Thanks Chris,

    Yes, the first link was what I was looking for

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  5. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Hi Christopher,

    > Who says they don't have the blessing?

    I do, because they are NOT promoting it, and someone is now saying there
    will never be link to SeaMonkey from the Mozilla home page??

    > That's an uninformed
    > opinion at best. Mozilla Corp isn't developing it themselves,
    > but they are dedicated to the proliferation and improvement of
    > the codebase.

    They can't have it both ways (or maybe they can), but it seems to me
    they are saying "it's nothing to do with us" one minute, but then the
    next they are saying "we want to control it".

    If it's not an "official" Mozilla project the whole thing should be
    moved to a new site called SeaMonkey.com and it should go head to head
    with T'bird and FireFox. Otherwise it seems it will deliberately be kept
    out of the limelight...

    > I think it's premature to worry. Mozilla is an "independent
    > project", as is Linux. They're both doing very well.

    OK.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  6. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Gerry Hickman wrote in

    > Hi Christopher,
    >
    >> Who says they don't have the blessing?

    > I do, because they are NOT promoting it, and someone is now
    > saying there will never be link to SeaMonkey from the Mozilla
    > home page??

    An idiot is saying there will never be alink, not someone in the
    know.

    Mozilla isn't developing SeaMonkey, so why should they promote
    it? They are doing what Mozilla was created to do - provide
    resources and infrastructure to those wishing to develop products
    using the Gecko engine.

    >> That's an uninformed
    >> opinion at best. Mozilla Corp isn't developing it
    >> themselves, but they are dedicated to the proliferation and
    >> improvement of the codebase.

    > They can't have it both ways (or maybe they can), but it seems
    > to me they are saying "it's nothing to do with us" one minute,
    > but then the next they are saying "we want to control it".

    Then you have no clue as to what you're talking about. If you
    have any evidence that "they" (whoever "they" are) have said
    this, post it.

    > If it's not an "official" Mozilla project the whole thing
    > should be moved to a new site called SeaMonkey.com and it
    > should go head to head with T'bird and FireFox. Otherwise it
    > seems it will deliberately be kept out of the limelight...

    First you're claiming they aren't supporting it enough, and now
    you're demanding they don't support it at all!

    C'mon, get a grip.

    There is no "going head to head"; Seamonkey appeals to a
    different user than FireFox/Thunderbird. Your statements are
    similar to demanding that Ford force their SUVs to compete with
    the Mustang. It's stupid; people who want an SUV will buy one,
    and those who want a sportscar will drive a Mustang.

    Mozilla discovered that more progress could be made seperating
    the clients than could be made trying to updating a complex suite
    that contained all the elements, so they went to the more
    efficient development model. That's all.

    And guess what? They were right; FF/TB have advanced far more
    quickly than the suite ever did.

    Now a group is working on the Suite using the advances made in
    FF/TB. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Blessed are they that run around in circles, for they shall be
    known as wheels.

  7. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > FireFox/Thunderbird are being developed by Mozilla.org, SeaMonkey
    > is an independent project being developed by an outside group.
    > SeaMonkey receives the same level of support from Mozilla as
    > Lightning and NVu.

    That is *extremely* deceptive! *EVERYBODY* currently working on
    SeaMonkey used to work on the Mozilla Suite. It's the same people.
    Don't imply that it's a bunch of new people who don't have a clue about
    how to produce good quality work.

    Chris

  8. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Gerry Hickman wrote:
    > Hi Christopher,

    > Is there a web page that explains this anywhere?
    >
    >> FireFox/Thunderbird are being developed by Mozilla.org, SeaMonkey is
    >> an independent project being developed by an outside group. SeaMonkey
    >> receives the same level of support from Mozilla as Lightning and NVu.

    > Thanks for clarification in these matters.
    >
    > For me, this changes everything though; I didn't know this was the case
    > and it's knocked my confidence in the future of SeaMonkey. I'm looking
    > for a free and open-source browser/mail/news that's ready to take on the
    > Enterprise space with full support for custom deployment, roaming
    > profiles, IMAP, GroupWise Exchange etc., for Windows/Linux/Unix/Mac.
    >
    > I thought SeaMonkey was best suited to this, but I don't see how it can
    > succeed without blessing of Mozilla Corp and Mozilla Org. The fact it's
    > listed on a hidden "project" page doesn't mean anything in the context
    > of global marketing.

    It's the same people doing SeaMonkey who used to do the Mozilla Suite.

    Chris

  9. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Paul Bergsagel wrote in
    >
    >> Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home
    >>> pages, it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of,
    >>> the SeaMonkey project.
    >>>

    >> Why? There are some people who do not want SeaMonkey to
    >> succeed and become popular thus they refuse to aid in
    >> publicizing it on their home page.

    > What a load of crock!
    >
    > N-Vu isn't listed either, and no one is against that. It's an
    > outside project, and the web page currently doesn't list those.

    Not being listed because you're unimportant, and having people wishing
    you'd give up are two different things, and there are definitely people
    who wish we'd give up and the suite would die.

    Chris

  10. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Michael wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Michael wrote:

    >>> For what it's worth I think we are all talking about the same
    >>> subject, public knowledge. The general web browsing public has no
    >>> idea SeaMonkey is coming into its own unique niche as a web browser
    >>> suite. It is true Mozilla.org recognizes SeaMonkey as a project, but
    >>> also disassociates itself from SeaMonkey on their web pages.
    >>>
    >>> What SeaMonkey needs is a marketing plan to push the suite into the
    >>> public eye. 8-) This plan should be starting now before the public
    >>> release of 1.0 so we have something ready when the release is made.
    >>> I don't suggest we make a public splash now while we are still in a
    >>> testing phase, wait till the big bugs are out and the product is
    >>> almost ready for release. Tease the public with snips of what is
    >>> coming, then hit them hard with all the great assets Firefox,
    >>> Thunderbird, and Outlook don't have. But, above all don't degrade
    >>> the others, just enlighten the public on the positive side of SeaMonkey.
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> I don't think there will be any publicity, after all its NOT an
    >> official Mozilla product.

    > I agree SeaMonkey is not a Mozilla project, so let me clarify my
    > position. The core SeaMonkey support group needs to create a marketing
    > program similar in nature to Firefox and push the product to the
    > public. There needs to be some contact with industry giants who might
    > be supporting the suite in the background for the expertize needed for a
    > first rate marketing campaign.
    >
    > Michael

    Which "core SeaMonkey support group"?

    Chris

  11. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/19/06 17:55, Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com home pages,
    >> it seems impossible to see links to, and promotion of, the SeaMonkey
    >> project.

    > Hmm. You're right. Camino is mentioned in the 'Other Products' section,
    > and it's not an official Mozilla Foundation/Corporation project. Perhaps
    > SeaMonkey will be added once 1.0 is released?

    I've asked about this before. SeaMonkey will never be listed, and
    Camino technically shouldn't be, but it was a long time ago and they're
    not going to delist it. I don't know why.

    Chris

  12. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Chris Thomas wrote in

    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >> FireFox/Thunderbird are being developed by Mozilla.org,
    >> SeaMonkey is an independent project being developed by an
    >> outside group. SeaMonkey receives the same level of support
    >> from Mozilla as Lightning and NVu.

    > That is *extremely* deceptive! *EVERYBODY* currently working
    > on SeaMonkey used to work on the Mozilla Suite. It's the same
    > people. Don't imply that it's a bunch of new people who don't
    > have a clue about how to produce good quality work.

    When did I imply that? you've assumed things I have not said.

    Seamonkey IS an independent project.
    While everyone on the project may or may not have worked on the
    original Mozilla, are they ALL active on Firefox?- and by ALL I
    mean just that. IF it's not ALL, then they are BY DEFINITION a
    different group, one OUTSIDE of the current project.

    Get a grip.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Everything is true -- everything is permissible!

  13. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Chris Thomas wrote in

    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/19/06 17:55, Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Regardless of whether I go to mozilla.org or mozilla.com
    >>> home pages, it seems impossible to see links to, and
    >>> promotion of, the SeaMonkey project.

    >> Hmm. You're right. Camino is mentioned in the 'Other
    >> Products' section, and it's not an official Mozilla
    >> Foundation/Corporation project. Perhaps SeaMonkey will be
    >> added once 1.0 is released?

    > I've asked about this before. SeaMonkey will never be listed,
    > and Camino technically shouldn't be, but it was a long time
    > ago and they're not going to delist it. I don't know why.

    WHO did you ask?

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Democracy is not for wimps. Sometimes it takes a strong stomach.
    Not to mention a big mouth. - Jerry D. Rhoades, Jr.

  14. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Hi Chris,

    > That is *extremely* deceptive!

    I agree.

    > *EVERYBODY* currently working on
    > SeaMonkey used to work on the Mozilla Suite. It's the same people.
    > Don't imply that it's a bunch of new people who don't have a clue about
    > how to produce good quality work.

    This is also my understanding.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  15. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Hi Christopher,

    > First you're claiming they aren't supporting it enough, and now
    > you're demanding they don't support it at all!

    I'm saying it's hopeless if it's half and half.

    > There is no "going head to head"; Seamonkey appeals to a
    > different user than FireFox/Thunderbird. Your statements are
    > similar to demanding that Ford force their SUVs to compete with
    > the Mustang. It's stupid; people who want an SUV will buy one,
    > and those who want a sportscar will drive a Mustang.

    Perhaps, but I don't think it's a good analogy because Ford would want
    to promote ALL their models by making sure they were linked from their
    home page. They are not saying let's "hide" all the sports cars in a
    subdirectory and hope no one finds them.

    > And guess what? They were right; FF/TB have advanced far more
    > quickly than the suite ever did.
    >
    > Now a group is working on the Suite using the advances made in
    > FF/TB. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

    I don't have a problem with any of this. It's great that we have FF/TB
    and SeaMonkey and these newsgroups to discuss them, but I do have a
    problem if SeaMonkey is not going to be heavily promoted (or more
    specifically not going to be listed at all).

    My interest is big corporate roll-outs from 2007-2012; I'm not convinced
    FF/TB are very good, but I can see a future for SeaMonkey. I want to be
    able to say "Here's SeaMonkey" and here's how you can maintain it on
    thousands of desktops for the next five years. I can't do that right now
    while it's stuck in a hidden folder - no one will take it seriously...

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  16. Re: SeaMonkey will never have a link on the Mozilla.org home page

    Gerry Hickman wrote in

    >> First you're claiming they aren't supporting it enough, and
    >> now you're demanding they don't support it at all!

    > I'm saying it's hopeless if it's half and half.

    That statement makes less sense than your previous one. Logic is
    obviously not your strong suit.

    >> There is no "going head to head"; Seamonkey appeals to a
    >> different user than FireFox/Thunderbird. Your statements are
    >> similar to demanding that Ford force their SUVs to compete
    >> with the Mustang. It's stupid; people who want an SUV will
    >> buy one, and those who want a sportscar will drive a Mustang.

    > Perhaps, but I don't think it's a good analogy because Ford
    > would want to promote ALL their models by making sure they
    > were linked from their home page. They are not saying let's
    > "hide" all the sports cars in a subdirectory and hope no one
    > finds them.

    But in this case, Ford isn't PRODUCING the other kind of vehicle.
    THAT is the point. Mozilla isn't developing an all-inclusive
    internet suite, so someone developing such a suite is not in
    competition with Mozilla AT ALL.

    Seamonkey appeals to those who want a great big all-in-one
    program, and FF appeals to those who only want a browser and
    Thunderbird appeals to those who only want an email program.

    The most-asked questions we used to get in the old Communicator
    groups, and later in the Mozilla group was "How do I use my own
    mail client instead of the built-in version?" and "How do I make
    Explorer open links in email/newsgroups?" That's a pretty good
    indicator that there is a demand for stand-alone products, and
    website usage trends subsequent to the delivery of the first
    stand-alone products bears that out.

    The only people interested in a suite are those that liked the
    original products as a suite. Most new users have no interest in
    a full suite, and that is simply an unavoidable truth. So
    Mozilla was correct to stop developing a program that had a large
    amount of features that most users didn't want and served mostly
    to slow developement down to a crawl. No one really cares that
    the minority who loved it are upset; you are not enough to keep
    the project alive.

    > My interest is big corporate roll-outs from 2007-2012; I'm not
    > convinced FF/TB are very good, but I can see a future for
    > SeaMonkey. I want to be able to say "Here's SeaMonkey" and
    > here's how you can maintain it on thousands of desktops for
    > the next five years. I can't do that right now while it's
    > stuck in a hidden folder - no one will take it seriously...

    It's not hidden. Google "Mozilla Seamonkey" and click "I'm
    feeling lucky".

    Or look on the "Projects" page at mozilla.org; it's evil how they
    hide RIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE like that.

    HAve any arguments not based solely on hysteria?

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Bad things come to those who wait too.

  17. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Christopher Jahn wrote in

    >>> Hmm. You're right. Camino is mentioned in the 'Other
    >>> Products' section, and it's not an official Mozilla
    >>> Foundation/Corporation project. Perhaps SeaMonkey will be
    >>> added once 1.0 is released?

    >> I've asked about this before. SeaMonkey will never be listed,
    >> and Camino technically shouldn't be, but it was a long time
    >> ago and they're not going to delist it. I don't know why.

    > WHO did you ask?

    BTW, it's the first project listed on the Mozilla.org Projects
    page, which sort of means you're either an idiot or a liar.

    Google "Mozilla Seamonkey" and click "I'm feeling lucky". REAL
    hidden.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    'Linguists claim that English borrows words from other
    languages.
    That's a lie. English mugs other languages in dark alleys and
    rifles their pockets for nouns.'
    - James Nicoll

  18. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Chris Thomas wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> I don't think there will be any publicity, after all its NOT an
    >>> official Mozilla product.

    >> I agree SeaMonkey is not a Mozilla project, so let me clarify my
    >> position. The core SeaMonkey support group needs to create a
    >> marketing program similar in nature to Firefox and push the product
    >> to the public. There needs to be some contact with industry giants
    >> who might be supporting the suite in the background for the expertize
    >> needed for a first rate marketing campaign.
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Which "core SeaMonkey support group"?
    >
    > Chris

    All of US who are here writing about SeaMonkey, those who provide
    technical support, and who ever is running the SeaMonkey project.

    Michael

  19. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    On 01/22/2006 10:07 PM Christopher Jahn wrote:

    > page, which sort of means you're either an idiot or a liar.

    ^^^^^ ^^^^
    Please, could you stop calling people something?
    Thats no good style.

    Thanks,

    OJ
    --
    `Three Dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me
    if it's true you've got a Hippogriff tattooed across your chest? [...]

  20. Re: SeaMonkey not well publicised?

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Christopher Jahn wrote in

    >>>I've asked about this before. SeaMonkey will never be listed,
    >>>and Camino technically shouldn't be, but it was a long time
    >>>ago and they're not going to delist it. I don't know why.

    >>WHO did you ask?

    > BTW, it's the first project listed on the Mozilla.org Projects
    > page, which sort of means you're either an idiot or a liar.
    >
    > Google "Mozilla Seamonkey" and click "I'm feeling lucky". REAL
    > hidden.

    Chris Thomas, *is* a "Mozilla SeaMonkey" Driver (Called "Council" for
    SeaMonkey)

    He has talked to the people in charge of the content on the "forward
    leading" mozilla.org pages. (As in, no-one is allowed to change THOSE
    pages without permission).

    The difference between Camino and SeaMonkey, is "Product" vs. "Project".
    Where, as Chris said, Camino really should be a Project not Product,
    but that will not be changed (for a reason I am unaware of). Projects
    will not explicitly be listed on the "Very Forward Leading" pages, (such
    as http://www.mozilla.org) for a long while (if ever) [as far as I am
    aware].

    I hope that clears away any doubt as to who gave you your answer.

    --
    ~Justin Wood (Callek)