Seamonkey GUI modifications - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Seamonkey GUI modifications - Mozilla ; I'm currently running Mozilla 1.7.12 (browser only), but I expect to replace that with Seamonkey once it's officially released. One concern I have is with the user interface, hence, the following: In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing ...

  1. Seamonkey GUI modifications

    I'm currently running Mozilla 1.7.12 (browser only), but I expect to replace
    that with Seamonkey once it's officially released. One concern I have is
    with the user interface, hence, the following:

    In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it, the
    file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new Tab" is at
    the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab (like it was in
    Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll never understand).
    Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the Netscape tab context menu
    arrangement then that solves the problem and there's no need to do anything
    more.

    Also I've modified the file home.jar (an extension in Mozilla) to place the
    icon on the right side of the address bar rather than the left side, which
    is where it's placed as originally coded.

    I don't think it's necessary now to get into the nuts and bolts of the
    actual changes, but I would like to know if these jar files exist in
    Seamonkey. Once I open them up I think I'll know soon enough if the specific
    changes to the Mozilla versions would apply to the Seamonkey version, and if
    I run into a problem I can post back.

    By the way, the code that controls the tab context menu order is different
    in Firefox than in Mozilla (and I never bothered to find out what to change
    in FF), and that is one of a couple of GUI issues that keeps me in Moz.

  2. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it, the
    > file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new Tab" is at
    > the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab (like it was in
    > Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll never understand).
    > Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the Netscape tab context menu
    > arrangement then that solves the problem and there's no need to do anything
    > more.

    I find it odd that there ever was a change in the context menu from
    "Open a new Tab" to "Open a New Window" at the top of the context menu.
    I can count on one had the number of times I want top open a "new
    window" when I click on a link. 99.9% of the time when I click on a link
    I use "Open a New Tab".

    Can anyone explain why the change was made so that "Open a New Window"
    was placed before "Open a New Tab"? Now about 20% of the time I miss
    click and end up opening a new Window instead of a new tab. Oh well. I
    guess like minds really do not think alike.

  3. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:34:09 -0500, Roger Fink wrote:

    > In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it, the
    > file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new Tab" is at
    > the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab (like it was in
    > Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll never understand).
    > Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the Netscape tab context menu
    > arrangement then that solves the problem and there's no need to do anything
    > more.

    In Seamonkey the context menu is contentAreaContextOverlay.xul in the
    comm.jar. Currently "Open link in a new Tab" comes after "Open link"

    > Also I've modified the file home.jar (an extension in Mozilla) to place the
    > icon on the right side of the address bar rather than the left side, which
    > is where it's placed as originally coded.

    There is no home.jar in Seamonkey.

    I think all these should be done via an extension actually. What happens
    when Seamonkey gets automatic updates like Firefox?

    Phil
    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.

  4. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > I'm currently running Mozilla 1.7.12 (browser only), but I expect to replace
    > that with Seamonkey once it's officially released. One concern I have is
    > with the user interface, hence, the following:
    >
    > In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it, the
    > file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new Tab" is at
    > the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab (like it was in
    > Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll never understand).
    > Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the Netscape tab context menu
    > arrangement then that solves the problem and there's no need to do anything
    > more.
    >
    > Also I've modified the file home.jar (an extension in Mozilla) to place the
    > icon on the right side of the address bar rather than the left side, which
    > is where it's placed as originally coded.
    >
    > I don't think it's necessary now to get into the nuts and bolts of the
    > actual changes, but I would like to know if these jar files exist in
    > Seamonkey. Once I open them up I think I'll know soon enough if the specific
    > changes to the Mozilla versions would apply to the Seamonkey version, and if
    > I run into a problem I can post back.
    >
    > By the way, the code that controls the tab context menu order is different
    > in Firefox than in Mozilla (and I never bothered to find out what to change
    > in FF), and that is one of a couple of GUI issues that keeps me in Moz.

    You'll be happy to know that while SeaMonkey has not corrected the order
    of those items, there IS an extension available that I just tested with
    SeaMonkey called MenuManipulator and it works GREAT for repositioning
    menu items. See here:

  5. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Philip Chee wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:34:09 -0500, Roger Fink wrote:
    >
    >> In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it,
    >> the file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new
    >> Tab" is at the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab
    >> (like it was in Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll
    >> never understand). Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the
    >> Netscape tab context menu arrangement then that solves the problem
    >> and there's no need to do anything more.

    > In Seamonkey the context menu is contentAreaContextOverlay.xul in the
    > comm.jar. Currently "Open link in a new Tab" comes after "Open link"
    >
    >> Also I've modified the file home.jar (an extension in Mozilla) to
    >> place the icon on the right side of the address bar rather than the
    >> left side, which is where it's placed as originally coded.

    > There is no home.jar in Seamonkey.
    >
    > I think all these should be done via an extension actually. What
    > happens when Seamonkey gets automatic updates like Firefox?
    >
    > Phil

    Then as regards the tab order, Seamonkey code is set up just like Mozilla,
    assuming the innards of contentAreaContextOverlay.xul are substantially the
    same.

    I think the issue of the tab order is really a hard-coding issue, rather
    than a GUI flexibility issue, and I've brought it up in the past, usually to
    a mixed reception. I'd like to see it permanently changed as part of a
    future release, but since that's unlikely, I'll just go ahead and change it
    myself. Based on your information, it doesn't sound like too big a deal.

    Anybody - Where is the jar/xul file with the home button location? (Since I
    haven't tried it yet, I assume you can't move Seamonkey icons around like
    you do with Firefox or T-Bird).

  6. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    _Roger Fink_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 9:34 PM:
    > I'm currently running Mozilla 1.7.12 (browser only), but I expect to replace
    > that with Seamonkey once it's officially released. One concern I have is
    > with the user interface, hence, the following:
    >
    > In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it, the
    > file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new Tab" is at
    > the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab (like it was in
    > Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll never understand).
    > Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the Netscape tab context menu
    > arrangement then that solves the problem and there's no need to do anything
    > more.
    >
    > Also I've modified the file home.jar (an extension in Mozilla) to place the
    > icon on the right side of the address bar rather than the left side, which
    > is where it's placed as originally coded.
    >
    > I don't think it's necessary now to get into the nuts and bolts of the
    > actual changes, but I would like to know if these jar files exist in
    > Seamonkey. Once I open them up I think I'll know soon enough if the specific
    > changes to the Mozilla versions would apply to the Seamonkey version, and if
    > I run into a problem I can post back.
    >
    > By the way, the code that controls the tab context menu order is different
    > in Firefox than in Mozilla (and I never bothered to find out what to change
    > in FF), and that is one of a couple of GUI issues that keeps me in Moz.

    Both should still work, as they did in the Mozilla Application Suite.
    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/browserfaq/OpenLinkinTab.html
    http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/09/moving-...netscape7.html

    However, if you can do it with an extension, that would be the more
    user-friendly way.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  7. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Roger Fink_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 9:34 PM:
    >> I'm currently running Mozilla 1.7.12 (browser only), but I expect to
    >> replace that with Seamonkey once it's officially released. One
    >> concern I have is with the user interface, hence, the following:
    >>
    >> In my current set-up, thanks to Chris Ilias showing me how to do it,
    >> the file comm.jar is modified so that the option "Open link in new
    >> Tab" is at the top of the context menu when you right-click on a tab
    >> (like it was in Netscape 7 and why it got moved in Mozilla I'll
    >> never understand). Obviously, if Seamonkey reverted back to the
    >> Netscape tab context menu arrangement then that solves the problem
    >> and there's no need to do anything more.
    >>
    >> Also I've modified the file home.jar (an extension in Mozilla) to
    >> place the icon on the right side of the address bar rather than the
    >> left side, which is where it's placed as originally coded.
    >>
    >> I don't think it's necessary now to get into the nuts and bolts of
    >> the actual changes, but I would like to know if these jar files
    >> exist in Seamonkey. Once I open them up I think I'll know soon
    >> enough if the specific changes to the Mozilla versions would apply
    >> to the Seamonkey version, and if I run into a problem I can post
    >> back.
    >>
    >> By the way, the code that controls the tab context menu order is
    >> different in Firefox than in Mozilla (and I never bothered to find
    >> out what to change in FF), and that is one of a couple of GUI issues
    >> that keeps me in Moz.

    > Both should still work, as they did in the Mozilla Application Suite.
    > http://ilias.ca/mozilla/browserfaq/OpenLinkinTab.html
    > http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/09/moving-...netscape7.html
    >
    > However, if you can do it with an extension, that would be the more
    > user-friendly way.

    Thanks, I'll definitely check it out first.

  8. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Paul Bergsagel schrieb:
    > I find it odd that there ever was a change in the context menu from
    > "Open a new Tab" to "Open a New Window" at the top of the context menu.

    Actually, the big change some years back was originally that "New Tab"
    was put in as the first item though the first item always had been "New
    Window" before. When lots of users got confused and opened tabs when
    they wanted windows, "new window" was thankfully reverted to first
    position and "new tab" moved to second.

    > I can count on one had the number of times I want top open a "new
    > window" when I click on a link. 99.9% of the time when I click on a link
    > I use "Open a New Tab".

    100% (yes, that's even 0.1% more) of my time I want "new window" ;-)

    AFAIK, if you do Ctrl+Click, you get a new tab based of your preferences
    (I get a new winow, but that's what I set in prefs, IIRC)...

    Robert Kaiser

  9. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Paul Bergsagel schrieb:
    >> I find it odd that there ever was a change in the context menu from
    >> "Open a new Tab" to "Open a New Window" at the top of the context
    >> menu.

    > Actually, the big change some years back was originally that "New Tab"
    > was put in as the first item though the first item always had been
    > "New Window" before. When lots of users got confused and opened tabs
    > when
    > they wanted windows, "new window" was thankfully reverted to first
    > position and "new tab" moved to second.
    >
    >> I can count on one had the number of times I want top open a "new
    >> window" when I click on a link. 99.9% of the time when I click on a
    >> link I use "Open a New Tab".

    > 100% (yes, that's even 0.1% more) of my time I want "new window" ;-)
    >
    > AFAIK, if you do Ctrl+Click, you get a new tab based of your
    > preferences (I get a new winow, but that's what I set in prefs,
    > IIRC)...
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    Obviously Microsoft agrees with you, so you're not without support for your
    argument. They didn't even bother with open in new tab, although I hear
    that's about to change.

  10. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:07:50 -0600, Paul Bergsagel
    wrote:

    >Roger Fink wrote:
    >>

    >Can anyone explain why the change was made so that "Open a New Window"
    >was placed before "Open a New Tab"? Now about 20% of the time I miss
    >click and end up opening a new Window instead of a new tab. Oh well. I
    >guess like minds really do not think alike.

    Over the years there have been a million minor rwars over changes like
    this. You win some, and lose some.

    Myself, I middle-click to open a link in a new tab.

  11. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Isotope wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:07:50 -0600, Paul Bergsagel
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    'snip/

    > Over the years there have been a million minor rwars over changes like
    > this. You win some, and lose some.
    >
    > Myself, I middle-click to open a link in a new tab.

    I do too. Its an option the user can configure, and its one less click.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  12. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    "Roger Fink" in

    > Obviously Microsoft agrees with you, so you're not without support for
    > your argument. They didn't even bother with open in new tab, although
    > I hear that's about to change.

    hey! that punch was below the belt :-)

    but almost every time (and yet very rarely) i use "open new window" it's because my mouse (1) missed "open new tab"

    middle-click does seem most reliable, perhaps i should switch middle click for "open in same tab", and set regular left click,
    "open new tab"

    i thought i'd read of userchrome as a way to partially edit the menus (hide, rather than relocate/position, so userchrome
    'method' is less useful)

    --
    1) effin mouse. i may have to call upon the services of the farmer's wife.

  13. Re: Seamonkey GUI modifications

    Splibbilla wrote:
    > "Roger Fink" in
    >
    >> Obviously Microsoft agrees with you, so you're not without support
    >> for
    >> your argument. They didn't even bother with open in new tab, although
    >> I hear that's about to change.

    > hey! that punch was below the belt :-)
    >
    > but almost every time (and yet very rarely) i use "open new window"
    > it's because my mouse (1) missed "open new tab"
    >
    > middle-click does seem most reliable, perhaps i should switch middle
    > click for "open in same tab", and set regular left click, "open new
    > tab"
    >
    > i thought i'd read of userchrome as a way to partially edit the menus
    > (hide, rather than relocate/position, so userchrome 'method' is less
    > useful)

    Yeah, this is a tempest in a teapot; that thing about Microsoft ("the
    freedom to innovate") was a little over the top. The bottom line is that
    everybody can have whatever arrangement they want, and it can be done
    through a custom mod, or apparently through an extension, which will keep
    the very creative folks who develop and manage this program happy.

    Win-win.

+ Reply to Thread