Is it safe to ... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is it safe to ... - Mozilla ; Am 12.01.2006 13:38 schrieb Leonidas Jones: > Ah. I see. Sorry to disturb you, but 120 lines of quote just for "Ah. I see."? Please snip the not relevant parts of your postings, it allows better reading. Thanks. OJ -- ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Is it safe to ...

  1. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Am 12.01.2006 13:38 schrieb Leonidas Jones:

    > Ah. I see.


    Sorry to disturb you, but 120 lines of quote just for "Ah. I see."?
    Please snip the not relevant parts of your postings, it allows better
    reading.

    Thanks.

    OJ
    --
    "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    (Oscar Wilde)


  2. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Am 13.01.2006 00:07 schrieb Leonidas Jones:

    > I am trying to remember, from secnews where no snipping was the norm.
    > It was late and I missed it. I apologize to all.


    No worries, as long as you try.

    I just thought it would be nice to tell everybody at the beginning, so
    everybody joining now knows about it.

    OJ
    --
    Der Charakter eines Menschen läßt sich leicht daran erkennen, wie er
    mit Leuten umgeht, die nichts für ihn tun können.
    (unbekannt)

  3. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Am 13.01.2006 00:44 schrieb Johannes Kastl:


    Sorry for the double posting. Something went wrong with Seamonkey...


    OJ

  4. Canceling (was: Is it safe to ...)

    On 1/13/2006 12:46 AM Johannes Kastl wrote:

    As I sent a double post, I canceled the second one and the "sorry
    double"-Message. But I still get them even after I un-subsribed and
    re-subscribed for this group.

    Does cancelling not work?

    OJ
    --
    Having a 'non-smoking' section in a restaurant is like having a
    'non-peeing' section in a pool.
    (Robin Cowdrey)

  5. Re: Canceling

    _Johannes Kastl_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 7:59 PM:
    > On 1/13/2006 12:46 AM Johannes Kastl wrote:
    >
    > As I sent a double post, I canceled the second one and the "sorry
    > double"-Message. But I still get them even after I un-subsribed and
    > re-subscribed for this group.
    >
    > Does cancelling not work?


    No. For more info see .
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  6. Re: Canceling

    On 1/13/2006 2:02 AM Chris Ilias wrote:

    [Cancels]

    > No. For more info see .


    I got no Error-Message when canceling in SM. Normal?

    OJ
    --
    `because it's taking about five hours for the public to get to their
    gold at the moment, the goblins have thightened security so much. Two
    days ago Arkie Philpott hat a Probity Probe stuck up his ... well,
    trust me, this way's easier.´ (Bill Weasley in Harry Potter 6)

  7. Re: Canceling

    _Johannes Kastl_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 8:10 PM:
    > I got no Error-Message when canceling in SM. Normal?


    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=250216
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  8. Re: Canceling

    On 1/13/2006 2:11 AM Chris Ilias wrote:

    > https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=250216


    Thanks. But I have seen no error at all. The bug says the error
    message is *after* the "Cancelling went right"-Message.

    OJ
    --
    No need to use Windows -- it's easier to go through the door. (unbekannt)

  9. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Jeff Beal wrote:
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> RenegadeX wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> gwtc wrote:

    >>
    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>> Type this URL into your browser bar:
    >>> chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul
    >>>
    >>> This is "not supported" and doesn't work very well. In my build
    >>> (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8)
    >>> Gecko/20051229 SeaMonkey/1.0b) it really doesn't work at all. I seem
    >>> to remember it being at least functional in the past.
    >>>
    >>> I, too, prefer to have the components each in their own window, but
    >>> it may be nice to fix whatever needs fixing to allow users to have it
    >>> their own way.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Agreed, choices are good! Thanks for the tip, I should have thought of
    >> that.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    >
    > Indeed, I tried it, rather less then a success on 1.0b on a Mac.
    >
    > Lee


    I tried it......would be an interesting concept...if it didn't get lost
    in a loop, forever asking for my news server passwords! Didn't really
    give me a chance to check it out.

    Daniel

  10. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > Am 13.01.2006 00:07 schrieb Leonidas Jones:
    >
    >> I am trying to remember, from secnews where no snipping was the norm.
    >> It was late and I missed it. I apologize to all.

    >
    > No worries, as long as you try.
    >
    > I just thought it would be nice to tell everybody at the beginning, so
    > everybody joining now knows about it.
    >
    > OJ


    No, Lee, never give up the habit of quoting all so people have a bit of
    a clue as to why you say what you say........

    These new groups are impressing me so little, I have to ask "How long is
    it planned to keep the Secnews groups up and accepting new input?"

    Daniel

  11. Re: Is it safe to ...

    On 01/17/2006 03:59 AM Daniel wrote:

    > No, Lee, never give up the habit of quoting all so people have a bit of
    > a clue as to why you say what you say........


    Im not sure what you are talking about here. I find it much more "easy
    readable" if just the parts of the message are quoted, that you
    actually refer to.

    OJ
    --
    You can do magic! Surely you can sourt out - well - anything!?
    Scrimgeour [...] exchanged an incredulous look with Fudge, who really
    did manage a smile this time as he said kindly, `The trouble is, the
    other side can do magic too, Prime Minister.? (Harry Potter 6)

  12. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 01/17/2006 03:59 AM Daniel wrote:

    /snip/
    >
    > Im not sure what you are talking about here. I find it much more "easy
    > readable" if just the parts of the message are quoted, that you
    > actually refer to.
    >
    > OJ


    You never looked at secnews, did you? We had a no snipping policy for
    tech support material. Very different then the usenet norm, but then it
    wasn't usenet.

    It took some real getting used to, but once you did get used it, it
    worked very well.

    Daniel is an old secnews hand. Those of us who have transferred from
    there to here are having a hard time adapting. It was a lot easier to
    find material within a post there for tech support matters, but that was
    there, and this is here.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  13. Re: Is it safe to ...

    On 01/17/2006 06:38 PM Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > You never looked at secnews, did you? We had a no snipping policy for
    > tech support material. Very different then the usenet norm, but then it
    > wasn't usenet.


    I know, cos I hinted someone out about snipping in n.p.m.s and got
    several "quoting instructions" as an answer, for both sides.

    > It took some real getting used to, but once you did get used it, it
    > worked very well.
    >
    > Daniel is an old secnews hand. Those of us who have transferred from
    > there to here are having a hard time adapting. It was a lot easier to
    > find material within a post there for tech support matters, but that was
    > there, and this is here.


    I like this part: "but that was there, and this is here." ;-)

    And, BTW, thanks for explaining.

    OJ
    --
    `Three Dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me
    if it's true you've got a Hippogriff tattooed across your chest? [...]
    `I told her it's a hungarian Horntail,`said Ginny, turning a page of
    her newspaper idly.`Much more Macho? (Ginny Weasley in Harry Potter 6)

  14. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 01/17/2006 06:38 PM Leonidas Jones wrote:


    /snip/
    >
    > I know, cos I hinted someone out about snipping in n.p.m.s and got
    > several "quoting instructions" as an answer, for both sides.
    >
    >> It took some real getting used to, but once you did get used it, it
    >> worked very well.
    >>
    >> Daniel is an old secnews hand. Those of us who have transferred from
    >> there to here are having a hard time adapting. It was a lot easier to
    >> find material within a post there for tech support matters, but that was
    >> there, and this is here.

    >
    > I like this part: "but that was there, and this is here." ;-)
    >
    > And, BTW, thanks for explaining.
    >
    > OJ


    Many of us, including a number of the Champs came over to help out in
    the developer groups, when user questions began to choke them. It was
    quite common for us to simply forget which groups we were in when
    answering questions.

    The new groups are much more clearly drawn. Our other saying is "When
    in Rome, do as the Romans do!".

    I do appreciate the courteousness of your reminder to snip quotes.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  15. Re: Is it safe to ...

    On 01/17/2006 08:54 PM Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Many of us, including a number of the Champs came over to help out in
    > the developer groups, when user questions began to choke them. It was
    > quite common for us to simply forget which groups we were in when
    > answering questions.


    Understandable.

    > The new groups are much more clearly drawn. Our other saying is "When
    > in Rome, do as the Romans do!".
    >
    > I do appreciate the courteousness of your reminder to snip quotes.


    I had to look up courteousness, but now I know.
    In Germany there is as saying:
    "How you shout into the woods, is just how the echo will be." (roughly
    translated)

    So I find it quite natural to hint people to quote right, not yell at
    them or get angry/pissed/...

    OJ
    --
    Having a 'non-smoking' section in a restaurant is like having a
    'non-peeing' section in a pool.
    (Robin Cowdrey)

  16. Re: Is it safe to ...

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 01/17/2006 03:59 AM Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> No, Lee, never give up the habit of quoting all so people have a bit of
    >> a clue as to why you say what you say........

    >
    > Im not sure what you are talking about here. I find it much more "easy
    > readable" if just the parts of the message are quoted, that you
    > actually refer to.
    >
    > OJ


    Those of us who are used to secnews find that to be much *less* readable
    when important bits get snipped and you have to wade back through the
    thread to make sense of the post.

    I agree with Daniel!

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. REMOVE nospam to e-mail me

  17. Re: Is it safe to ...

    On 01/17/2006 10:52 PM Brian J. Graham wrote:

    > Those of us who are used to secnews find that to be much *less* readable
    > when important bits get snipped and you have to wade back through the
    > thread to make sense of the post.


    I think it is really pretty depending on what you are used to. If I
    would have written alot in secnews, I think I would feel the same.

    OJ
    --
    "But you think you're right?" said Harry. "Naturally I do, but as I
    have already proven to you, I make mistakes like the next man. In
    fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes
    tend to be correspondingly huger." (Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter 6)

  18. Re: Is it safe to ...

    /Brian J. Graham/:
    > Johannes Kastl wrote:
    >
    >> Im not sure what you are talking about here. I find it much more "easy
    >> readable" if just the parts of the message are quoted, that you
    >> actually refer to.

    >
    > Those of us who are used to secnews find that to be much *less* readable
    > when important bits get snipped and you have to wade back through the
    > thread to make sense of the post.


    I only excuse the full-quoting on secnews because of the short
    retention policy. The amount of quoted material should not necessary
    be stripped to just few lines from the previous post, but when
    people start trying to strip extra quotes they began to learn how
    much is necessary to leave. And as rule of thumb, if the amount of
    new text is much smaller than the amount of the quoted text, then
    the quotes should probably be reduced.

    Another rule is to read the whole thread - all branches, before
    posting, so one (or many people) don't post duplicate information.
    Full-quoting doesn't prevent people from posting duplicate
    information (if it already appears in different branch) but makes
    reading the whole thread more difficult.

    --
    Stanimir

  19. Re: Is it safe to ...



    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    /SNIP/
    >
    > I had to look up courteousness, but now I know.
    > In Germany there is as saying:
    > "How you shout into the woods, is just how the echo will be." (roughly
    > translated)


    could you state the original version of the saying.

    TIA,

    Maurits Obbink.

    P.S. I know it's offtopic.

  20. Re: Is it safe to ...

    On 01/18/2006 12:01 AM Maurits Obbink wrote:

    > could you state the original version of the saying.


    Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es auch wieder heraus.

    Ungefähr.

    OJ
    --
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of diseased mind.
    (Terry Pratchett)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast