Slow window redraw problem - Motif

This is a discussion on Slow window redraw problem - Motif ; Hello, I'm having an issue where my application's windows are redrawn slowly after having been obscured by another window. This problem seems to only affect my application as I have brought up numerous other windows and obscured then reveled them ...

  1. Slow window redraw problem

    Hello,

    I'm having an issue where my application's windows are redrawn slowly
    after having been obscured by another window. This problem seems to
    only affect my application as I have brought up numerous other windows
    and obscured then reveled them with no latency.

    My system is a current technology 4 processor Dell with 1Gb of ram and
    a GeForce Quadro 3450 video card. The system is running Open SuSE
    10.2 and my application uses Motif to display windows. I'm using
    Nvidia's current graphics driver for Linux x64 and my system is fully
    patched.

    Any ideas? Is there more information I need to provide?

    Thanks!

    Rob

  2. Re: Slow window redraw problem

    On Sep 12, 3:41 pm, Rob wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm having an issue where my application's windows are redrawn slowly
    > after having been obscured by another window. This problem seems to
    > only affect my application as I have brought up numerous other windows
    > and obscured then reveled them with no latency.
    >
    > My system is a current technology 4 processor Dell with 1Gb of ram and
    > a GeForce Quadro 3450 video card. The system is running Open SuSE
    > 10.2 and my application uses Motif to display windows. I'm using
    > Nvidia's current graphics driver for Linux x64 and my system is fully
    > patched.
    >
    > Any ideas? Is there more information I need to provide?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Rob

    Hello,

    I figured out my own problem. In Motif we're saving screen appearance
    information to files residing on an NFS filesystem. When the
    appearance is updated, after being un-obscured, it performs a
    tremendous amount of little writes and congests the network with NFS
    traffic. The NFS server and client are on a 100Base-T closed network
    with about 8 other hosts. I used strace and tcpdump to verify
    diagnose this. After commenting out the appearance saving lines and
    re-compiling the program runs fine.

    Thanks!

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread