OpenMotif on top of OpenSolaris - Motif

This is a discussion on OpenMotif on top of OpenSolaris - Motif ; Hi! The OpenGroup license states that it's permissible to use OpenMotif on operating systems that are themselves free and open-source. It's well-known that it's a violation of the license to use OpenMotif on Solaris. OpenSolaris, however, formally meets the above ...

  1. OpenMotif on top of OpenSolaris

    Hi!

    The OpenGroup license states that it's permissible to use OpenMotif on
    operating systems that are themselves free and open-source.

    It's well-known that it's a violation of the license to use OpenMotif
    on Solaris.

    OpenSolaris, however, formally meets the above criterion: its kernel,
    core utilities and desktop are open-source.

    Due to Sun's backward compatibility policy, CDE 1.x for Solaris
    8x-10.x might be binary compatible with OpenSolaris, and one might try
    to install CDE to a OpenSolaris box.

    In this case, CDE wouldn't be a part of the OS, thus the license
    wouldn't get violated.

    As a result, it'd be possible to use both CDE and OpenMotif on the
    same box.

    Am I correct? Can someone please comment on this?

    Thanks.

    Andrew.

  2. Re: OpenMotif on top of OpenSolaris

    On Jun 12, 12:41 pm, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > The OpenGroup license states that it's permissible to use OpenMotif on
    > operating systems that are themselves free and open-source.
    >
    > It's well-known that it's a violation of the license to use OpenMotif
    > on Solaris.
    >
    > OpenSolaris, however, formally meets the above criterion: its kernel,
    > core utilities and desktop are open-source.
    >
    > Due to Sun's backward compatibility policy, CDE 1.x for Solaris
    > 8x-10.x might be binary compatible with OpenSolaris, and one might try
    > to install CDE to a OpenSolaris box.
    >
    > In this case, CDE wouldn't be a part of the OS, thus the license
    > wouldn't get violated.

    I think if you did it as an end user, for example if you copied the
    CDE files from a solaris box to an opensolaris box, well, none would
    be the wiser. But there's no way a system vendor would try it...

    > As a result, it'd be possible to use both CDE and OpenMotif on the
    > same box.
    >
    > Am I correct? Can someone please comment on this?

    The motif question comes up from time to time on the forums at
    opensolaris.org, and it seems that not even the Sun employees know the
    answer.

    For example Alan Coopersmith posted this on May 8th:

    "I've suggested OpenMotif multiple times to the Desktop C-Team, but
    because it would involve assigning people to work on Motif and
    clearing
    up the OpenMotif licensing issues, I've not succeeded in convincing
    anyone."

  3. Re: OpenMotif on top of OpenSolaris

    On Jun 13, 3:25 pm, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 12:41 pm, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    > wrote:
    >

    > Themotifquestion comes up from time to time on the forums at
    > opensolaris.org, and it seems that not even the Sun employees know the
    > answer.
    >
    > For example Alan Coopersmith posted this on May 8th:
    >
    > "I've suggested OpenMotif multiple times to the Desktop C-Team, but
    > because it would involve assigning people to work onMotifand
    > clearing
    > up the OpenMotif licensing issues, I've not succeeded in convincing
    > anyone."- Hide quoted text -

    If Alan can't make it happen, it is hard to imagine it happening. :-(

    Mark

  4. Re: OpenMotif on top of OpenSolaris

    On Jun 14, 11:24 am, markjha...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 13, 3:25 pm, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 12, 12:41 pm, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    > > wrote:

    > > Themotifquestion comes up from time to time on the forums at
    > > opensolaris.org, and it seems that not even the Sun employees know the
    > > answer.

    > > For example Alan Coopersmith posted this on May 8th:

    > > "I've suggested OpenMotif multiple times to the Desktop C-Team, but
    > > because it would involve assigning people to work onMotifand
    > > clearing
    > > up the OpenMotif licensing issues, I've not succeeded in convincing
    > > anyone."- Hide quoted text -

    > If Alan can't make it happen, it is hard to imagine it happening. :-(

    Quite true, you've got to wonder what they're paying the rest of those
    people for...

    The question is, is the desktop team so busy that they can't spare two
    minutes to ask The Open Group for a clarification? The Linux vendors
    don't seem to have that problem, Suse and Red Hat both have
    openmotif...

+ Reply to Thread