DeXtop GUI Question - Motif

This is a discussion on DeXtop GUI Question - Motif ; Hi! I contacted Xi Graphics yesterday, and they told me they're no longer shipping the DeXtop GUI. Does anyone know any active reseller/other 3rd party DeXtop can be acquired from? Thanks. Andrew....

  1. DeXtop GUI Question

    Hi!

    I contacted Xi Graphics yesterday,
    and they told me they're no longer shipping the DeXtop GUI.

    Does anyone know any active reseller/other 3rd party
    DeXtop can be acquired from?

    Thanks.

    Andrew.

  2. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:

    > I contacted Xi Graphics yesterday,
    > and they told me they're no longer shipping the DeXtop GUI.

    That's funny, The Open Group doesn't seem to be aware of that:

    http://www.opengroup.org/cde/

  3. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 11, 3:07 am, Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > That's funny, The Open Group doesn't seem to be aware of that:
    >
    > http://www.opengroup.org/cde/

    Well, all of CDE/Motif-devoted sites are full of stale links.

    MotifDeveloper.com is not different:
    http://www.motifdeveloper.com/providers.html

  4. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 11, 7:11 am, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 3:07 am, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >
    > > That's funny, The Open Group doesn't seem to be aware of that:

    > >http://www.opengroup.org/cde/

    > Well, all of CDE/Motif-devoted sites are full of stale links.
    >
    > MotifDeveloper.com is not different:http://www.motifdeveloper.com/providers.html

    Yes, the MotifZone (www.motifzone.com or www.openmotif.org) going
    through a major site overhaul (nothing like getting hacked to create
    some attention to website infrastructure...)

    Mark

  5. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    markjhatch@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 7:11 am, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Jun 11, 3:07 am, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >>

    >>>That's funny, The Open Group doesn't seem to be aware of that:

    >>>http://www.opengroup.org/cde/

    >>Well, all of CDE/Motif-devoted sites are full of stale links.
    >>
    >>MotifDeveloper.com is not different:http://www.motifdeveloper.com/providers.html

    > Yes, the MotifZone (www.motifzone.com or www.openmotif.org) going
    > through a major site overhaul (nothing like getting hacked to create
    > some attention to website infrastructure...)

    Ah! We noticed that motifzone blipped out for a while last month; didn't
    know it was because of hackers, though...

    Do you think there's a chance that ICS will be picking up the ball on
    CDE for Linux?

  6. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    markjhatch@gmail.com wrote:

    >>Well, all of CDE/Motif-devoted sites are full of stale links.
    >>
    >>MotifDeveloper.com is not different:http://www.motifdeveloper.com/providers.html

    Wow, metrolink went out of business three and a half years ago! That's
    *really* not trying...

  7. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 11, 6:40 pm, markjha...@gmail.com wrote:

    > Yes, the MotifZone (www.motifzone.comorwww.openmotif.org) going
    > through a major site overhaul (nothing like getting hacked to create
    > some attention to website infrastructure...)
    >
    > Mark

    Mark,

    that's great news.
    Have you considered creating a wiki-enabled site (like freedesktop.org
    among many others), so that registered users would be able to update/
    extend the information presented there, create tutorials etc.?

    Andrew.

  8. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 12, 7:43 am, Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > Do you think there's a chance that ICS will be picking up the ball on
    > CDE for Linux?

    That would be great indeed since neither TriTeal nor Xi Graphics are
    shipping it any longer.

    Andrew.

  9. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 12, 10:06 am, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 7:43 am, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >
    > > Do you think there's a chance that ICS will be picking up the ball on
    > > CDE for Linux?

    > That would be great indeed since neither TriTeal nor Xi Graphics are
    > shipping it any longer.
    >
    > Andrew.

    We actually looked into doing this several years ago (just prior to
    the release of OpenMotif). One would *think* that it was a simple
    recompile and just a lot of fighting with the use of imake on systems
    that don't really encourage imake... However, the engineer we had look
    at it, came back with a huge estimate (perhaps because he had been
    involved with the original development of CDE...). So we backed away.

    We came close again after we acquired UIMX because UIMX was much more
    integrated into CDE than our own GUI builder. But with the strength of
    Gnome/KDE and the "announcements" of several of the UNIX workstation
    vendors that they were moving towards Gnome, we decided that the
    business wasn't there. :-(

    These days we are looking at creating a (commerical) Motif 2.3 for
    Unix and embedded platforms (VxWorks, etc.) . We have several
    customers that have been frustrated by bugs being fixed in OpenMotif
    and these same bug fixes not making it into the commericial Motif
    versions provided by Unix workstation vendors.

    Mark

  10. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 12, 10:04 am, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov
    wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 6:40 pm, markjha...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, the MotifZone (www.motifzone.comorwww.openmotif.org) going
    > > through a major site overhaul (nothing like getting hacked to create
    > > some attention to website infrastructure...)

    > > Mark

    > Mark,
    >
    > that's great news.
    > Have you considered creating a wiki-enabled site (like freedesktop.org
    > among many others), so that registered users would be able to update/
    > extend the information presented there, create tutorials etc.?
    >
    > Andrew.

    Andrew,

    Thank you for the suggestion here. The link portions of the website
    have been a real pain to keep updated. A wiki might be the right
    approach here.

    Mark

  11. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    On Jun 12, 9:57 am, markjha...@gmail.com wrote:

    > We actually looked into doing this several years ago (just prior to
    > the release of OpenMotif). One would *think* that it was a simple
    > recompile and just a lot of fighting with the use of imake on systems
    > that don't really encourage imake... However, the engineer we had look
    > at it, came back with a huge estimate (perhaps because he had been
    > involved with the original development of CDE...). So we backed away.
    >
    > We came close again after we acquired UIMX because UIMX was much more
    > integrated into CDE than our own GUI builder. But with the strength of
    > Gnome/KDE and the "announcements" of several of the UNIX workstation
    > vendors that they were moving towards Gnome, we decided that the
    > business wasn't there. :-(

    I know! In 2001 both Sun and HP announced they were going to make the
    switch from CDE to Gnome. Well, here it is 6 years later and I'm
    sitting in front of my Sun Blade 2500 running: Solaris 10 and CDE!

    Sun's "Java Desktop" is in no way ready for prime time. Around here it
    wedges the X server so hard you have to telnet in from another host
    and kill it. Thus of course losing anything you had unsaved on your
    desktop...

    > These days we are looking at creating a (commerical) Motif 2.3 for
    > Unix and embedded platforms (VxWorks, etc.) . We have several
    > customers that have been frustrated by bugs being fixed in OpenMotif
    > and these same bug fixes not making it into the commericial Motif
    > versions provided by Unix workstation vendors.

    That's interesting, I wonder if Sun is one of your customers?
    According to Xm.h on my workstation it's plain old version 2.1:

    XmVERSION_STRING "@(#)Motif Version 2.1.0"

    However it also says:

    Xm.h version 1.13, last updated 02/07/15

    Which I take to mean February of 2007...

  12. Re: DeXtop GUI Question

    Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > That's interesting, I wonder if Sun is one of your customers?
    > According to Xm.h on my workstation it's plain old version 2.1:
    >
    > XmVERSION_STRING "@(#)Motif Version 2.1.0"
    >
    > However it also says:
    >
    > Xm.h version 1.13, last updated 02/07/15
    >
    > Which I take to mean February of 2007...

    Looks more like July 15th, 2002 to me.

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

+ Reply to Thread