Butifying Motif applications - Motif

This is a discussion on Butifying Motif applications - Motif ; I have a few Motif applications which were developed during the early/mid 90s. They have since been upgraded gradually with new buttons here, new options there and even the odd tab. While the functions are all there and the "mechanics" ...

  1. Butifying Motif applications

    I have a few Motif applications which were developed during the
    early/mid 90s. They have since been upgraded gradually with new
    buttons here, new options there and even the odd tab. While the
    functions are all there and the "mechanics" of the HCI is
    generally optimised, the "looks" leaves something to be desired.

    Are there any general "tricks" to freshen up the Motif 1.x look
    which is relatively low on labour, but gives good results?

    Regards,
    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@saabgroup.com ^
    | SAAB Microwave Systems AS | Isebakkeveien 49 |

  2. Re: Butifying Motif applications

    Aaron Hsu wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:52:03 -0500, Frode Tenneboe
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a few Motif applications which were developed during the
    >>early/mid 90s. They have since been upgraded gradually with new
    >>buttons here, new options there and even the odd tab. While the
    >>functions are all there and the "mechanics" of the HCI is
    >>generally optimised, the "looks" leaves something to be desired.
    >>Are there any general "tricks" to freshen up the Motif 1.x look
    >>which is relatively low on labour, but gives good results?

    > You might see this article which gives tips about how to "freshen" up the
    > look of NEdit.
    >
    > http://www.nedit.org/technotes/looks-1.php

    The point being that by setting the right resource values on an
    applications widgets there is no type of appearance ("look and feel")
    that cannot be achieved. Motif's widgets are almost infinitely
    configurable...

+ Reply to Thread