dynamic motif GUI - Motif

This is a discussion on dynamic motif GUI - Motif ; Hello all, I have two questions: 1) Is it possible to create dynamic motif GUI, where dynamic means following: Elements of GUI presented or not presented depends on some description in the text-based configuration file (i.e. something similar to XML ...

  1. dynamic motif GUI

    Hello all,
    I have two questions:
    1) Is it possible to create dynamic motif GUI, where dynamic means
    following: Elements of GUI presented or not presented depends on some
    description in the text-based configuration file (i.e. something
    similar to XML GUI
    description)
    2) If yes, do some examples exist, how it is done and if yes, where
    can I take look at them?

    /wbr
    Ariel Burbaickij

  2. Re: dynamic motif GUI

    pustota1 wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I have two questions:
    > 1) Is it possible to create dynamic motif GUI, where dynamic means
    > following: Elements of GUI presented or not presented depends on some
    > description in the text-based configuration file (i.e. something
    > similar to XML GUI
    > description)
    > 2) If yes, do some examples exist, how it is done and if yes, where
    > can I take look at them?

    Surely it is possible and it is not difficult.
    We do it in our product to hide expert functions from
    normal customers, who could get hurt or confused by them.
    Simply remember the widget ID of the stuff you want to be
    dynamically presented, and map or unmap the widgets after
    first map of the main window.
    Then it is up to you to make it as granulated as you wish -
    have a couple of classes of users or function capabilities,
    upon which you map or unmap groups of widgets.
    Or you could store the status of each individual widget.
    This you put in a configuration file which is read upon runtime.
    In our product, we use tag based configuration file placed
    in user's home directory. Reading a text file line by line,
    making a string comparison and reading a parameter is child's play.

    For a more general implementation of dynamic gui you can
    have a look at WCL, which allows you to specify the whole
    GUI in an external text file. You could use different
    wcl files for completely different interfaces.
    WCL can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.oak-grove-consulting.com/WhatsNew/index.html

    To check an existing program which uses WCL, you can have
    a look at the demo of our program ArahWeave.
    http://www.arahne.si/installAWeave.html
    once installed,
    arahne/aw/weave is the WCL configuration file for the main program
    arahne/aw/arahweave is the program binary
    arahne/common/*.txt are program texts in various languages.
    You can use CTRL+ALT+1,2,3...9 to change among languages
    without closing down the program. That is as dynamic as it
    gets ;-)

    Hope this gets you on track,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: dynamic motif GUI

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:05:02 +0100, arahne wrote:

    >pustota1 wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >> I have two questions:
    >> 1) Is it possible to create dynamic motif GUI, where dynamic means
    >> following: Elements of GUI presented or not presented depends on some
    >> description in the text-based configuration file (i.e. something
    >> similar to XML GUI
    >> description)
    >> 2) If yes, do some examples exist, how it is done and if yes, where
    >> can I take look at them?

    >Surely it is possible and it is not difficult.

    There is one big snag though: non-mapped widgets cant appear in Form
    constraints!

    >We do it in our product to hide expert functions from
    >normal customers, who could get hurt or confused by them.
    >Simply remember the widget ID of the stuff you want to be
    >dynamically presented, and map or unmap the widgets after
    >first map of the main window.
    >Then it is up to you to make it as granulated as you wish -
    >have a couple of classes of users or function capabilities,
    >upon which you map or unmap groups of widgets.
    >Or you could store the status of each individual widget.
    >This you put in a configuration file which is read upon runtime.
    >In our product, we use tag based configuration file placed
    >in user's home directory. Reading a text file line by line,
    >making a string comparison and reading a parameter is child's play.
    >
    >For a more general implementation of dynamic gui you can
    >have a look at WCL, which allows you to specify the whole
    >GUI in an external text file. You could use different
    >wcl files for completely different interfaces.
    >WCL can be downloaded from here:
    >http://www.oak-grove-consulting.com/WhatsNew/index.html
    >
    >To check an existing program which uses WCL, you can have
    >a look at the demo of our program ArahWeave.
    >http://www.arahne.si/installAWeave.html
    >once installed,
    >arahne/aw/weave is the WCL configuration file for the main program
    >arahne/aw/arahweave is the program binary
    >arahne/common/*.txt are program texts in various languages.
    >You can use CTRL+ALT+1,2,3...9 to change among languages
    >without closing down the program. That is as dynamic as it
    >gets ;-)
    >
    >Hope this gets you on track,
    >
    >Duan Peterc
    >http://www.arahne.si

  4. Re: dynamic motif GUI

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:05:02 +0100, arahne wrote:
    >> Surely it is possible and it is not difficult.

    > There is one big snag though: non-mapped widgets cant appear in Form
    > constraints!

    True.
    This is one of the reasons I use XmpTable in place of XmForm,
    since layout is much easier and you can freely unmap whatever you want.

    an example of its use in WCL
    *selectCopyAreaT.wcCreate: XmpCreateTableDialog
    *selectCopyAreaT.wcCallback: setTextCB(352)
    *selectCopyAreaT.noResize: TRUE
    *selectCopyAreaT.autoUnmanage: FALSE
    *selectCopyAreaT.wcChildren: selectAreaF copyAreaF selCopyOffsetF \
    ButtonsT
    *selectCopyAreaT.layout: selectAreaF 0 0 W; copyAreaF 1 0 W; \
    selCopyOffsetF 0 1 2 0 W; ButtonsT 0 2 2 0

    Just think how many attachments you would need to define
    with XmForm to define four children widgets (A,B,C,D) with layout
    AB
    CC
    DD
    With the optional "WHlr" parameters in the layout, you can even
    define left/right/center alignment, and if widget resizes
    with parent or stays at default size.

    XmpTable widget is only 50 kb as a shared library
    and will save you many lines of code and widget placement headaches.
    It is licensed as LGPL, and its source is included with WCL,
    which I have already advertised in the previous post.

    Best regards,

    Duan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  5. Re: dynamic motif GUI

    "Michel Bardiaux" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:05:02 +0100, arahne wrote:
    >
    >>pustota1 wrote:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>> I have two questions:
    >>> 1) Is it possible to create dynamic motif GUI, where dynamic means
    >>> following: Elements of GUI presented or not presented depends on some
    >>> description in the text-based configuration file (i.e. something
    >>> similar to XML GUI
    >>> description)
    >>> 2) If yes, do some examples exist, how it is done and if yes, where
    >>> can I take look at them?

    >>Surely it is possible and it is not difficult.

    > There is one big snag though: non-mapped widgets cant appear in Form
    > constraints!

    Not true.

    Unmanaged widgets cannot appear in XmForm consttraints,
    but unmapped widgets can. I use this all the time. If I want to hide a
    widget that has form attachments, I just set XmNmappedWhenManaged
    to False. The real estate occupied by the widget stays the same, but
    the widget disappears.

    One can also cause the real estate to apparently "disappear" by setting
    the widget's XmNwidth and/or XmNheight to 1 (if the widget
    allows this size).
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  6. Re: dynamic motif GUI

    On 22 , 15:32, "Fred Kleinschmidt"
    wrote:
    > "Michel Bardiaux" wrote in message

    > >>Surely it is possible and it is not difficult.

    > > There is one big snag though: non-mapped widgets cant appear in Form
    > > constraints!

    > Not true.
    >
    > Unmanaged widgets cannot appear in XmForm consttraints,
    > but unmapped widgets can. I use this all the time. If I want to hide a
    > widget that has form attachments, I just set XmNmappedWhenManaged
    > to False. The real estate occupied by the widget stays the same, but
    > the widget disappears.
    >
    > One can also cause the real estate to apparently "disappear" by setting
    > the widget's XmNwidth and/or XmNheight to 1 (if the widget
    > allows this size).
    > --
    > Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    > Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    > Aero Stability and Controls Computing

    Thank you very much, guys.
    One of the most responsive and useful newsgroup I have encountered.

    /wbr
    Ariel Burbaickij

  7. Re: dynamic motif GUI

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:32:06 GMT, "Fred Kleinschmidt"
    wrote:

    >"Michel Bardiaux" wrote in message

    >>>Surely it is possible and it is not difficult.

    >> There is one big snag though: non-mapped widgets cant appear in Form
    >> constraints!
    >>

    >Not true.
    >
    >Unmanaged widgets cannot appear in XmForm consttraints,
    >but unmapped widgets can.

    I stand corrected. But it doesnt really matter...

    > I use this all the time. If I want to hide a
    >widget that has form attachments, I just set XmNmappedWhenManaged
    >to False. The real estate occupied by the widget stays the same, but
    >the widget disappears.

    .... because of this.

    >One can also cause the real estate to apparently "disappear" by setting
    >the widget's XmNwidth and/or XmNheight to 1 (if the widget
    >allows this size).

    And the border, etc ad nauseam. Possible, but not very practical.

+ Reply to Thread