pulldown menu in title bar - Motif

This is a discussion on pulldown menu in title bar - Motif ; Hi, I need to add a pulldown menu to the title bar of a window. When this menu is not selected it should look like the main window menu. How can I access the title (menu) bar of window? How ...

  1. pulldown menu in title bar

    Hi,
    I need to add a pulldown menu to the title bar of a window.
    When this menu is not selected it should look like the main window
    menu.
    How can I access the title (menu) bar of window?
    How can I define the look the unselected menu should have?
    (Sun OS)

    Many thanks in advance,

    Arne

  2. Re: pulldown menu in title bar

    Arne wrote:

    > I need to add a pulldown menu to the title bar of a window.
    > When this menu is not selected it should look like the main window
    > menu.
    > How can I access the title (menu) bar of window?
    > How can I define the look the unselected menu should have?
    > (Sun OS)

    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for. If you really want to add a
    menu to the title bar (the area at the very top of the window, with the
    window name, maximize button etc) -- then you're basically out of luck;
    the title bar is not a part of your application, but added by whatever
    window manager is running.

    Some window managers allow an application to add custom functions to the
    window menu (which you typically bring up by clicking a button or icon
    in the left hand corner of the title bar). Other window managers may
    however choose to ignore this.

    Also, conceptually, the window menu should contain functions related to
    window management - move, resize, close etc. Placing other
    (application-specific) functions in the title bar is likely to confuse
    or frustrate your users.

    You say SunOS, but not what desktop. CDE? JDS/GNOME? KDE? However, if
    you want anyone besides yourself to use your application, remember that
    they may use another window manager than you. As you can't test all
    possible window managers, it's likely you will decide it's not worth the
    effort to force behaviour into the WM.

    --
    Per Espen Hagen

  3. Re: pulldown menu in title bar

    Hi Per,
    thanks for the reply. I share your reservations with respect to
    "beefing up" the title bar of a window. But my reservations are not
    relevant here, because I need to follow existing practice in that
    project. (Which is a simulation system that imitates the user
    interface of a production system).

    Kind regards,
    Arne

    The window manager used is the CDE window manager
    On 22 Mrz., 23:01, Per Espen Hagen wrote:
    > Arne wrote:
    > > I need to add a pulldown menu to the title bar of a window.
    > > When this menu is not selected it should look like the main window
    > > menu.
    > > How can I access the title (menu) bar of window?
    > > How can I define the look the unselected menu should have?
    > > (Sun OS)

    > I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for. If you really want to add a
    > menu to the title bar (the area at the very top of the window, with the
    > window name, maximize button etc) -- then you're basically out of luck;
    > the title bar is not a part of your application, but added by whatever
    > window manager is running.
    >
    > Some window managers allow an application to add custom functions to the
    > window menu (which you typically bring up by clicking a button or icon
    > in the left hand corner of the title bar). Other window managers may
    > however choose to ignore this.
    >
    > Also, conceptually, the window menu should contain functions related to
    > window management - move, resize, close etc. Placing other
    > (application-specific) functions in the title bar is likely to confuse
    > or frustrate your users.
    >
    > You say SunOS, but not what desktop. CDE? JDS/GNOME? KDE? However, if
    > you want anyone besides yourself to use your application, remember that
    > they may use another window manager than you. As you can't test all
    > possible window managers, it's likely you will decide it's not worth the
    > effort to force behaviour into the WM.
    >
    > --
    > Per Espen Hagen

+ Reply to Thread