Child windows not being treated as such - Motif

This is a discussion on Child windows not being treated as such - Motif ; Hi. I am dealing with an application written in OpenMotif (Autodesk Maya), that uses different child windows. The problem is that these child windows do not behave like other child windows in other toolkits (KDE, FLTK, etc). Nor does Maya ...

  1. Child windows not being treated as such

    Hi. I am dealing with an application written in OpenMotif (Autodesk
    Maya), that uses different child windows.
    The problem is that these child windows do not behave like other child
    windows in other toolkits (KDE, FLTK, etc). Nor does Maya behave on
    Linux like on other platforms.
    The problem is that the subwindows basically loose focus and get sent
    to the background whenever the user clicks on the main window of the
    application. Also, minimizing the main window does not minimize the
    child windows.
    I know there was a way to set the .Xresources or .Xdefaults user file
    to make the window manager or Maya create the child windows correctly
    (as transient windows?), but I lack enough X11 knowledge to know how
    can this be achieved.
    Can anyone give me some advice?

  2. Re: Child windows not being treated as such

    gga wrote:
    > Hi. I am dealing with an application written in OpenMotif (Autodesk
    > Maya), that uses different child windows.
    > The problem is that these child windows do not behave like other child
    > windows in other toolkits (KDE, FLTK, etc). Nor does Maya behave on
    > Linux like on other platforms.
    > The problem is that the subwindows basically loose focus and get sent
    > to the background whenever the user clicks on the main window of the
    > application. Also, minimizing the main window does not minimize the
    > child windows.

    Could it be that each of these windows are actually independent
    top level windows, or even processes?
    This would be consistent with the behavior you describe.
    Maybe Maya sends window manager hints to
    get coherent behavior, but your window manager ignores it.

    > I know there was a way to set the .Xresources or .Xdefaults user file
    > to make the window manager or Maya create the child windows correctly
    > (as transient windows?), but I lack enough X11 knowledge to know how
    > can this be achieved.
    > Can anyone give me some advice?

    On modern Linux .Xdefaults no longer exists and even if it
    is in the home directory, it is not read by X server.

    Are you running it on a supported platform?
    Probably Autodesk support would be a better place to
    ask this question. Although I am curious about what is
    going on here...

    Sorry I could not be of more help

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: Child windows not being treated as such

    "gga" wrote in message
    news:1173345916.035376.146410@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi. I am dealing with an application written in OpenMotif (Autodesk
    > Maya), that uses different child windows.
    > The problem is that these child windows do not behave like other child
    > windows in other toolkits (KDE, FLTK, etc). Nor does Maya behave on
    > Linux like on other platforms.
    > The problem is that the subwindows basically loose focus and get sent
    > to the background whenever the user clicks on the main window of the
    > application. Also, minimizing the main window does not minimize the
    > child windows.
    > I know there was a way to set the .Xresources or .Xdefaults user file
    > to make the window manager or Maya create the child windows correctly
    > (as transient windows?), but I lack enough X11 knowledge to know how
    > can this be achieved.
    > Can anyone give me some advice?

    You can't change the type of a widget via a resource file.

    Sounds like the application creates several TopLevelShells or
    ApplicationShells. The program should use DialogShells if there is
    a desire for all shells top be iconized as a group. If they are indeed
    TopLevel or Application shells, you are probably out of luck.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

+ Reply to Thread