MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background - Motif

This is a discussion on MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background - Motif ; Trying to bring the color scheme into-line with modern Qt and Gtk+ apps that use white windows. I'm having difficulty finding setting a handful of resource manager held color properties that will make clients use white for the window's display ...

  1. MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    Trying to bring the color scheme into-line with modern Qt and Gtk+ apps
    that use white windows.

    I'm having difficulty finding setting a handful of resource manager held
    color properties that will make clients use white for the window's display
    area, but grey for the client menu bar and client menu dropdown.

    *Background:grey, *DisplayArea.Background:white leads to too many client
    windows having grey main areas, *DisplayArea.Background:white appearing to
    have no effect.

    None of the Motif clients using menu bars that I've tried appear to
    understand editres, so I gave-up trying to fix this myself.

    I found an article describing how to make NEdit look much less out of
    place alongside modern apps, but surprisingly found nothing more general.

    By trial and error, I've arrived at:

    *DisplayArea.background: White

    *Background: grey74
    *topShadowColor: gainsboro
    *bottomShadowColor: gray55
    *troughColor: gray74
    *selectColor: #356

    Mwm*background: gray74
    Mwm*topShadowColor: gainsboro
    Mwm*bottomShadowColor: #5E5E5E

    Mwm*menu*background: gray74
    Mwm*menu*topShadowColor: gainsboro
    Mwm*menu*bottomShadowColor: #5E5E5E

    Mwm*activeBackground: cadetblue
    Mwm*activeTopShadowColor: slategray2
    Mwm*activeBottomShadowColor: #325455

    Suggestions as to how to give clients that grey-bordered and grey-menued
    but white main area background more modern appearance will be gratefully
    appreciated.

    Mike. Emaills see headers.

    Glad tidings of joy and good will to all this Christmas tide.

  2. Re: MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    No Spam wrote:

    > None of the Motif clients using menu bars that I've tried appear to
    > understand editres, so I gave-up trying to fix this myself.

    Both Nedit and DDD have menu bars and support editres,
    at least as compiled on Linux.

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, arahne wrote:

    > No Spam wrote:
    >
    >> None of the Motif clients using menu bars that I've tried appear to
    >> understand editres, so I gave-up trying to fix this myself.

    > Both Nedit and DDD have menu bars and support editres,
    > at least as compiled on Linux.

    Thanks for trying to help. NEdit 5.5 built on Solaris, Sparc is just fine
    too. Its other clients. I suppose I need to rephrase my question.

    The xserver is started with these resources loaded:

    *main*background: White
    *DisplayArea.background: White
    *CSText*background: White
    *DwtText*background: White
    *DXmCSText*background: White
    *Stext*background: White
    *XmList*background: White
    *XmText*background: White
    *XmTextField*background: White

    *Background: grey74

    in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get clients to use grey windows in general,
    but make the main text area white.

    Should I be defaulting the window background grey and then overriding the
    text areas white (or vice versa)? If so, how, without editres'ing each
    app and setting them individually?

  4. Re: MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    nospam wrote:
    > in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get clients to use grey windows in general,
    > but make the main text area white.

    What window manager / desktop are you using?
    I have last used Sparc 14 years ago, so I can not advise you on that.
    On Linux, some Desktops/window managers, like KDE will try to
    force non-KDE X clients into their color scheme, making things
    generally worse. It is enabled by default, but can be disabled.

    Maybe a behavior like this interferes with your custom settings.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  5. Re: MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, arahne wrote:

    arahne wrote:

    > What window manager / desktop are you using?

    mwm / X-Terminal

    > I have last used Sparc 14 years ago, so I can not advise you on that.
    > On Linux, some Desktops/window managers, like KDE will try to
    > force non-KDE X clients into their color scheme, making things
    > generally worse. It is enabled by default, but can be disabled.
    > Maybe a behavior like this interferes with your custom settings.

    Perhaps CDE and VUE before it have some nasty palette
    arrangement. But no, this is mwm.

    I had wanted the menu bar and drop downs grey, however I've
    quite got used to them white. Looks clean and contemporary
    enough, though at the expense of some loss of the 3D effect.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    "nospam" wrote in message
    news:Pine.SOC.4.60.0701110234500.7093@parody.tel.c o.uk...
    > On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, arahne wrote:
    >
    > arahne wrote:
    >>
    >> What window manager / desktop are you using?

    > mwm / X-Terminal
    >
    >> I have last used Sparc 14 years ago, so I can not advise you on that.
    >> On Linux, some Desktops/window managers, like KDE will try to
    >> force non-KDE X clients into their color scheme, making things
    >> generally worse. It is enabled by default, but can be disabled.
    >> Maybe a behavior like this interferes with your custom settings.

    > Perhaps CDE and VUE before it have some nasty palette
    > arrangement. But no, this is mwm.
    >
    > I had wanted the menu bar and drop downs grey, however I've
    > quite got used to them white. Looks clean and contemporary
    > enough, though at the expense of some loss of the 3D effect.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try:
    ?*XmRowColumn.?.background: gray

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  7. Re: MWM *DisplayArea.Background vs *Background

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:

    > Try:
    > ?*XmRowColumn.?.background: gray

    Thanks, next reboot I'll certainly give that a try...

+ Reply to Thread