Transparent Labels - Motif

This is a discussion on Transparent Labels - Motif ; Hello all, Is is possible to define the background color of a label to be transparent so that the parents background/foreground colors/pixmaps show through? For example,lets say you want to overlay a label widget on top of a parent widget ...

  1. Transparent Labels

    Hello all,

    Is is possible to define the background color of a label to be transparent
    so that the parents background/foreground colors/pixmaps show through?

    For example,lets say you want to overlay a label widget on top of a parent
    widget which has a pixmap background. You do not want the label border to
    show only the foreground color displaying the letters of the label.

    Regards

  2. Re: Transparent Labels

    Carlos Blanco wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Is is possible to define the background color of a label to be transparent
    > so that the parents background/foreground colors/pixmaps show through?
    >
    > For example,lets say you want to overlay a label widget on top of a parent
    > widget which has a pixmap background. You do not want the label border to
    > show only the foreground color displaying the letters of the label.

    I think Motif does not support that.
    If you need this functionality, you need to do compositing
    by yourself, make the image and set it as pixmap.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: Transparent Labels

    "arahne" wrote in message
    > Carlos Blanco wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> Is is possible to define the background color of a label to be
    >> transparent
    >> so that the parents background/foreground colors/pixmaps show through?
    >>
    >> For example,lets say you want to overlay a label widget on top of a
    >> parent
    >> widget which has a pixmap background. You do not want the label border to
    >> show only the foreground color displaying the letters of the label.

    > I think Motif does not support that.
    > If you need this functionality, you need to do compositing
    > by yourself, make the image and set it as pixmap.

    It can be done, but it is complicated. You need to
    create a clip mask that is the shape of the text (actually the INVERSE
    of that shape) and use XShapeCombineMask()

+ Reply to Thread