Screen Position, Dimention and Resolution - Motif

This is a discussion on Screen Position, Dimention and Resolution - Motif ; Hi Guyz, I am new to MOTIF and am trying to get information of all the screens (widgets ) open and their position and dimention. I also need to get the system resolution. Any help would be appreciated. Harsh...

  1. Screen Position, Dimention and Resolution

    Hi Guyz,

    I am new to MOTIF and am trying to get information of all the screens
    (widgets ) open and their position and dimention. I also need to get
    the system resolution.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Harsh

  2. Re: Screen Position, Dimention and Resolution

    "jainharsh" wrote in message
    news:1165589309.525902.180650@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Guyz,
    >
    > I am new to MOTIF and am trying to get information of all the screens
    > (widgets ) open Widgets and screens are entirely different things.

    A screen is a virtual monitor ID; most people have only one screen.
    However, an application *may* be displaying things on multiple
    monitors, or *may* have different screens open on the same monitor,
    but only in very special instances.

    >and their position and dimention.

    Why do you need this information? What is it you are
    actually trying to do? In general, this is a very difficult thing
    to do for windows that are not part of your application.

    For widgets in your own application, use the XmNx, XmNy,
    XmNwidth, and XmNheight resources.

    >I also need to get the system resolution.

    This is not a function of Motif. Use system macros like
    HeightMMOfScreen and HeightOfScreen

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Screen Position, Dimention and Resolution

    Hi Fred,

    > Why do you need this information? What is it you are
    > actually trying to do?

    Well I need it for a simulator software which is usually in multiple
    screen. And I need this information for managing the different
    widgets/windows that opens up.

    Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:
    > "jainharsh" wrote in message
    > news:1165589309.525902.180650@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
    > > Hi Guyz,
    > >
    > > I am new to MOTIF and am trying to get information of all the screens
    > > (widgets ) open Widgets and screens are entirely different things.

    > A screen is a virtual monitor ID; most people have only one screen.
    > However, an application *may* be displaying things on multiple
    > monitors, or *may* have different screens open on the same monitor,
    > but only in very special instances.
    >
    > >and their position and dimention.

    > Why do you need this information? What is it you are
    > actually trying to do? In general, this is a very difficult thing
    > to do for windows that are not part of your application.
    >
    > For widgets in your own application, use the XmNx, XmNy,
    > XmNwidth, and XmNheight resources.
    >

    > >I also need to get the system resolution.

    > This is not a function of Motif. Use system macros like
    > HeightMMOfScreen and HeightOfScreen
    >

    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Harsh
    > >

    > --
    > Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    > Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    > Technical Architect, Software Reuse Project

+ Reply to Thread