Re: Is there visible Motif Development? - Motif

This is a discussion on Re: Is there visible Motif Development? - Motif ; Hi Aaron, I think the only visible new Motif development can be found here http://cvs.motifzone.net/cgi-bin/cvs...y=date#dirlist I understand your interest in Motif vitality. But the relevance of your question very much depends on your application needs, and on your market. So ...

  1. Re: Is there visible Motif Development?

    Hi Aaron,

    I think the only visible new Motif development can be found here
    http://cvs.motifzone.net/cgi-bin/cvs...y=date#dirlist

    I understand your interest in Motif vitality.
    But the relevance of your question very much depends on
    your application needs, and on your market.
    So these should be your primary criteria.
    If you look at existing Motif widgets, and they fit
    your needs, and running your applications on Windows
    is not important, then Motif is still a good candidate
    for new development. It is a very robust and lightweight
    toolkit. It allows you to concentrate on your application,
    instead of debugging the toolkit.
    Have a look at the user's manual of my company's product,
    to see what can be done in Motif:
    http://www.arahne.si/aweave.pdf
    sure we don't have transparent windows or antialiased fonts (yet),
    but there were no requests for that from my customers.
    Instead, there are many application specific requests,
    and this is what we are doing.
    With Motif, I have all the texts external to the program,
    so users can translate the program and test the new translation,
    without the need recompile the program.
    I have all the program interface in external resource
    files, so I can also change widget layout without
    the need to recompile the program.
    The program in question has 83000 lines of C, and it compiles
    in 1 minute on P4 2.8MHz, and the executable is only 1.3 MB.
    Then I have another program, supposedly in much more modern
    toolkit, where I must recompile for any interface change,
    and this takes 7 minutes for 40.000 lines C++ code, and it makes
    an executable of 1.8 MB.
    No doubt, newer toolkits have their advantages. But there are
    also down sides.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  2. Re: Is there visible Motif Development?

    Aaron Hsu wrote:
    > Despite everyone saying that
    > its a bear to use and code with, the UIL seemed promising, since many
    > Scheme implementations are interpreted, and it would be nice to be able
    > to create a simple parser to generate interfaces which don't have to be
    > compiled into the wrapper scripts if I can avoid them.

    Well, actually UIL needs to be compiled by a special UIL
    compiler, and is rather limited in a sense that only static
    initial interface can be defined.
    Plus, the LGPL implementation of Motif, called Lesstif does
    not support UIL. OpenMotif and OSF/Motif found on
    workstations does support UIL.

    To accomplish the feat of external user interface definition
    without recompilation, I use Wcl.
    You can download it from here:
    http://www.arahne.si/WCL-2.7.tar.gz
    it is a library that extends the capabilities
    of xrm resource files into a poor man's ASCII UI design toolkit.
    I suggest you look at it before you plunge in UIL.
    It also allows you to define some dynamic behavior like
    mapping / unmapping of widgets, setting widget resources
    on any callback or at specific critical times
    (at creation or after children have been created).
    My hand coded resource files have grown
    to 450 K, never had a problem with it (other than silence
    on typos), and it loads in a jiffie.

    Good luck with your project, regardless of the toolkit(s)
    you will choose ;-)

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

+ Reply to Thread