The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update - Motif

This is a discussion on The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update - Motif ; For more information on the petition. Visit. http://www.marutan.net/cde/ or jump straight to signing the petition here. http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html I'd like to express my thanks for all the support received so far, there are now over 900 people who've put their name ...

  1. The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    For more information on the petition. Visit.
    http://www.marutan.net/cde/
    or jump straight to signing the petition here.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html

    I'd like to express my thanks for all the support received so
    far, there are now over 900 people who've put their name to the
    petition.

    However I'm trying to get a few more before I submit it to The
    Open Group, so I could still use your help.

    If you have any friends or colleagues that would be interested
    in this, please forward the links on to them so they can
    consider it too.

    There's been some success in promoting this petition on various
    online news sites, such as osnews.com, newsforge.com and
    pc-magazin.de [1]. If you know of any more, please feel free to
    contact them with information, or pass their names on to me and
    I'll try and fill them in.

    For a more complete list of the publicity that the petition has
    received, check http://www.marutan.net/cde/index.html#press

    Once again, thanks for the support so far, and I hope we can do
    even better in future.

    Peter Howkins

    [1] http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=16158
    http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac...6/162256.shtml
    http://www.pc-magazin.de/common/nws/...g.php?id=48355

  2. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    Too late, I think.
    For example, Sun Microsystems has decided for the Gnome desktop.

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

  3. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    Michael Tosch wrote:

    > Too late, I think.
    > For example, Sun Microsystems has decided for the Gnome desktop.

    What about Motif? For how long is Solaris going to include Motif run-time
    libraries and "development" packages (e.g. headers) to be able to run and build
    Motif apps?

  4. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    In article ,
    Oscar del Rio writes:
    > Michael Tosch wrote:
    >>
    >> Too late, I think.
    >> For example, Sun Microsystems has decided for the Gnome desktop.

    > What about Motif? For how long is Solaris going to include Motif run-time
    > libraries and "development" packages (e.g. headers) to be able to run and build
    > Motif apps?

    Run-time? Arguably forever; remember, even with OpenLook gone, the libs
    are still there for backwards compatibility with independently developed
    applications.

    But headers? Given the tone implying that only critical or very high
    demand bugfixes will be invested into CDE, one has to suspect that just
    as the OpenLook headers disappeared, it won't be that many years before
    the same happens to most of the CDE headers, if not necessarily the
    Motif headers.

    One thing: remember "Open"Motif's not-quite-open license: free on open-source
    operating systems. One might interpret that as exending to OpenSolaris
    now, and possibly even regular Solaris >= 10 (which is at least presented
    as effectively Sun's distro of OpenSolaris). So there may not be much
    point in taking away the Motif headers from Solaris some time from now;
    Motif even if not the rest of CDE is well enough entrenched not to go away
    so quickly, and OpenMotif provides (for the open-source BSDs, for Linux
    if they hold their nose, and arguably for [Open]Solaris, although not for
    the other commercial Unix CDE platforms) future access to headers, as does
    Lesstif to a lesser extent (it doesn't provide 100% binary compatibility,
    but for some apps one can in fact substitute one shared lib for another,
    which tends to suggest that in many cases one could substitute one header
    for another too).

    IMO, the first step The Open Group ought to take is to make OpenMotif
    truly open. I'd suggest LGPL, not only as less ideologically fascist
    (and less of an obstacle to commercial use) than GPLv2, but as something
    that provides exact parity with the workalike implementation, Lesstif.
    I'd almost favor the modified BSD license, except that might lead to
    closed-source forks, which could cause compatibility problems in the long
    run.

    Between the existence of Lesstif as a free clone (adequate for many if not
    all cases), the decline of CDE/Motif relative to GNOME/Gtk+ and KDE/Qt,
    and other declining interest in non-open-source Unix platforms, it seems
    to me that TOG and its members would have very little to lose (and at
    least some favorable PR to gain) by fully opening Motif (and moving
    perhaps to a support-based model of some sort rather than licensing
    fees). That could also serve as a trial case for opening the rest of CDE.

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

    Lasik/PRK theme music:
    "In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"

  5. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    Richard.L.Hamilton@mindwarp.smart.net (Richard L. Hamilton) writes:
    > One thing: remember "Open"Motif's not-quite-open license: free on open-source
    > operating systems. One might interpret that as exending to OpenSolaris
    > now, and possibly even regular Solaris >= 10 (which is at least presented
    > as effectively Sun's distro of OpenSolaris).

    That expression should be Solaris > 10. Solaris 10 is _not_ a
    distribution of Open Solaris. Sun's current distribution of Open
    Solaris is called Solaris Express. When Nevada closes and ships,
    there will be a regular distribution that's a successor to Solaris 10
    that's based on Open Solaris.

    (Yes, I'm struggling to avoid saying "Solaris 11." That's what it
    should be, save marketing's naming decision.)

    > I'd almost favor the modified BSD license, except that might lead to
    > closed-source forks, which could cause compatibility problems in the long
    > run.

    As long as part of the cross-post is in comp.unix.solaris, CDDL would
    be nifty as well. ;-}

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  6. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > Michael Tosch wrote:
    > >
    > > Too late, I think.
    > > For example, Sun Microsystems has decided for the Gnome desktop.

    Yes, it now seems likely that CDE will be dropped from Solaris at some
    point in the near future in favour of Gnome but an Open Source CDE
    would enable you to keep using it on your Sun hardware regardless of
    Sun's decisions.

    > What about Motif? For how long is Solaris going to include Motif run-time
    > libraries and "development" packages (e.g. headers) to be able to run and build
    > Motif apps?

    I can't speak for Sun, but I would expect the run-time libraries to be
    around for many years to come, part of Sun's commitment to stable long
    running platforms, and binary compatability with earlier versions, for
    ease of commercial software deployment. Whether the Motif headers are
    also considered as useful I'm not too sure.

    Peter

    http://www.marutan.net/cde/

  7. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Peter Howkins wrote:

    > Yes, it now seems likely that CDE will be dropped from Solaris at some
    > point in the near future in favour of Gnome but an Open Source CDE
    > would enable you to keep using it on your Sun hardware regardless of
    > Sun's decisions.

    I don't know about CDE going in the "near" future, but I agree that it
    will happen eventually. I just hope the CDE -> GNOME transition usability
    issues are completely resolved before they do, and there's a fair ways
    to go yet, IMHO.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  8. Re: The Open Source CDE and Motif Petition, an update

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:31:48 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Peter Howkins wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, it now seems likely that CDE will be dropped from Solaris at some
    >> point in the near future in favour of Gnome but an Open Source CDE
    >> would enable you to keep using it on your Sun hardware regardless of
    >> Sun's decisions.

    > I don't know about CDE going in the "near" future, but I agree that it
    > will happen eventually. I just hope the CDE -> GNOME transition usability
    > issues are completely resolved before they do, and there's a fair ways
    > to go yet, IMHO.

    You mean we don't yet have 3THz CPUs yet?

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)