Open Source CDE petition. (and Motif !) - Motif

This is a discussion on Open Source CDE petition. (and Motif !) - Motif ; Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming Open Source? If so consider signing the petition on this site, which I'll send on to The Open Group. http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html With additional background information here. http://www.marutan.net/cde/ If you've any questions feel ...

  1. Open Source CDE petition. (and Motif !)

    Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming
    Open Source?

    If so consider signing the petition on this site,
    which I'll send on to The Open Group.

    http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html

    With additional background information here.

    http://www.marutan.net/cde/

    If you've any questions feel free to ask
    or email me for more information.

    Peter Howkins

  2. Re: Open Source CDE petition. (and Motif !)

    On 3 Oct 2006 16:28:57 -0700, "Peter Howkins"
    wrote:

    > Are you interested in the idea of CDE becoming
    >Open Source?
    >
    > If so consider signing the petition on this site,
    >which I'll send on to The Open Group.
    >
    >http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html

    I wont touch that with a 10-foot poll :-). "OSI approved license"
    indeed! I certainly dont want MOTIF to be release under a BSD or MIT
    license (allowing proprietary derivatives) or GPL (with the viral
    implications). You should rephrase the petition to mention a
    *specific* license.

    >With additional background information here.
    >
    >http://www.marutan.net/cde/
    >
    > If you've any questions feel free to ask
    >or email me for more information.
    >
    >Peter Howkins

    Greetings,

  3. Re: Open Source CDE petition. (and Motif !)

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    >> http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html

    > I wont touch that with a 10-foot poll :-). "OSI approved license"
    > indeed! I certainly dont want MOTIF to be release under a BSD or MIT
    > license (allowing proprietary derivatives) or GPL (with the viral
    > implications). You should rephrase the petition to mention a
    > *specific* license.

    Oh no, the license war!
    I think at current sad state of affairs any OSI license will do.
    I don't think people will fork it left and right, given BSD
    or MIT license, and I do not expect huge new developments,
    so that sharing of new code would be an issue.

    An OSI license would make life easier to to people who
    still want to use CDE or Motif, and would take away one
    argument from Motif haters, currently doing the purge
    of Linux distributions.
    http://lwn.net/Articles/197744/
    Motif haters will still hate Motif, under any license, but
    at least they will not be able to make our life difficult
    in the name of freedom.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  4. Re: Open Source CDE petition. (and Motif !)

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    > On 3 Oct 2006 16:28:57 -0700, "Peter Howkins"
    > wrote:
    > > If so consider signing the petition on this site,
    > >which I'll send on to The Open Group.
    > >
    > >http://www.petitiononline.com/opencde/petition.html

    > I wont touch that with a 10-foot poll :-). "OSI approved license"
    > indeed! I certainly dont want MOTIF to be release under a BSD or MIT
    > license (allowing proprietary derivatives) or GPL (with the viral
    > implications). You should rephrase the petition to mention a
    > *specific* license.

    I'm unable to change the wording of the petition after people
    have signed it (for the obvious reason of not changing what
    people have agreed with).

    But personally I wouldn't have an issue with CDE
    being released under any of the licenses you mention.
    But I understand your concerns with regard to a GPLd
    Motif, you wouldn't want previously closed source apps
    written against motif being forced to open, or not be
    available on platforms where an open source Motif
    was installed. But I don't have issues with a BSD or
    MIT license. As long as the license terms are known
    up front people will always have an informed choice
    to make when contributing too, or using code from
    an open source project.

    With regard to Open Group's more recent choices of
    Open licenses. DCE, a suite of programs for distributed
    computer was released under the GNU LGPL.
    http://www.opengroup.org/dce/

    So, in summary, it seems that The Open Group
    have a much finer grasp of license mechanics than
    when the OpenMotif code was released.

    Peter Howkins

+ Reply to Thread