My X / OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat - Motif

This is a discussion on My X / OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat - Motif ; My X/OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat, but the same application works fine on gentoo. When application freezes, I AM ABLE TO RUN OTHER APPLICATIONS like kate, konqueror and so on. My application has a big drawing area widget on ...

  1. My X / OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat

    My X/OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat, but the same application
    works fine on gentoo. When application freezes, I AM ABLE TO RUN OTHER
    APPLICATIONS like kate, konqueror and so on.

    My application has a big drawing area widget on top which OpenGl data
    is drawn.
    After working for some time say 15 mintues or so, my application
    freezes(say i do a rotate operation) on RedHat - after 5 to 10 minutes
    everything comes up okay, but this repeats if i do any other operation.

    If i do a top , i see Res Memory for Process "X" increasing and my
    Application is dormant
    ofcourse the CPU% usage for is X almost 99% and my application is very
    less.

    But the same application runs fine on gentoo.

    Is this a problem with Red Hat or am i missing something.

    my compress_exposure value for the drawing area is set to

    _drarea->core.widget_class->core_class.compress_exposure =
    XtExposeCompressMaximal | XtExposeNoExpose.

    This i extracted from some website a year ago or so. And i
    recently went thru explanation for these values - no clue what they
    mean.

    Please anybody help out.

    I saw some environmental variable to be set for Debian Linux for this
    probelm, but nowhere this is discussed for Red Hat.

  2. Re: My X / OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat

    I think i found the solution, during redraw in expose, i am calling
    watch_cursor and normal_cursor function which create XCreateFontCursor
    and Undefines the cursor, probably thats why X memory increase and
    potentially froze. But amazes me how gentoo works!!!

    Guys I am still testing my solution on RedHat, so please give ur
    comments...

    Twister.Net wrote:
    > My X/OpenGL Application freezes on Red Hat, but the same application
    > works fine on gentoo. When application freezes, I AM ABLE TO RUN OTHER
    > APPLICATIONS like kate, konqueror and so on.
    >
    > My application has a big drawing area widget on top which OpenGl data
    > is drawn.
    > After working for some time say 15 mintues or so, my application
    > freezes(say i do a rotate operation) on RedHat - after 5 to 10 minutes
    > everything comes up okay, but this repeats if i do any other operation.
    >

    > If i do a top , i see Res Memory for Process "X" increasing and my
    > Application is dormant
    > ofcourse the CPU% usage for is X almost 99% and my application is very
    > less.
    >
    > But the same application runs fine on gentoo.
    >
    > Is this a problem with Red Hat or am i missing something.
    >
    > my compress_exposure value for the drawing area is set to
    >
    > _drarea->core.widget_class->core_class.compress_exposure =
    > XtExposeCompressMaximal | XtExposeNoExpose.
    >
    > This i extracted from some website a year ago or so. And i
    > recently went thru explanation for these values - no clue what they
    > mean.
    >
    > Please anybody help out.
    >
    > I saw some environmental variable to be set for Debian Linux for this
    > probelm, but nowhere this is discussed for Red Hat.

+ Reply to Thread