_XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find - Motif

This is a discussion on _XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find - Motif ; Hi, I have on old program developed under Linux with Motif and I want to recompile it on a SUSE (Novell) SLES (server enterprise ) 9.0 with service pack 3 and openmotif version 2.2.2-519.4 My problem is that some of ...

  1. _XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find

    Hi,
    I have on old program developed under Linux with Motif and I want to
    recompile it on a SUSE (Novell) SLES (server enterprise ) 9.0 with
    service pack 3 and openmotif version 2.2.2-519.4

    My problem is that some of the function declared in Xm/XmP.h cannot
    be find in the new system. ex:

    void _XmForegroundColorDefault(Widget widget, int offset, XrmValue
    *value);

    This function ist not more available in the new system ( no declaration
    in the Xm/XmP.h file)

    What should I do? Can somebody help me?

    Best Regards Laszlo

  2. Re: _XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find

    "Laszlo Barabas" wrote in message
    news:1150204152.008334.269730@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I have on old program developed under Linux with Motif and I want to
    > recompile it on a SUSE (Novell) SLES (server enterprise ) 9.0 with
    > service pack 3 and openmotif version 2.2.2-519.4
    >
    > My problem is that some of the function declared in Xm/XmP.h cannot
    > be find in the new system. ex:
    >
    > void _XmForegroundColorDefault(Widget widget, int offset, XrmValue
    > *value);
    >
    > This function ist not more available in the new system ( no declaration
    > in the Xm/XmP.h file)
    >
    > What should I do? Can somebody help me?
    >
    > Best Regards Laszlo

    The declaration for _XmForegroundColorDefault has been moved from
    XmP.h to ColorI.h. This include file is not released with the developers
    package.

    In general, your application should NEVER use any Motif, Xt, or X11
    functions whose name begins with an underscore. Such functions are
    not guaranteed to exist in the next version of the libraries.

    Instead of _XmForegroundColorDefault, you should use
    XmeGetDefaultPixel( widget, XmFOREGROUND, offset, value )
    The declaration is in XmP.h

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: _XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find

    Thanks for the answer, it was very helpfully
    You mentioned that the missing function declaration is now in ColorI.h
    and this include file is not released with the developers motif
    package.

    Is any way to get separate package of missing parts? If no then I will
    try with on older version of motif.

    Best regards
    Laszlo

    Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:
    > "Laszlo Barabas" wrote in message
    > news:1150204152.008334.269730@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Hi,
    > > I have on old program developed under Linux with Motif and I want to
    > > recompile it on a SUSE (Novell) SLES (server enterprise ) 9.0 with
    > > service pack 3 and openmotif version 2.2.2-519.4
    > >
    > > My problem is that some of the function declared in Xm/XmP.h cannot
    > > be find in the new system. ex:
    > >
    > > void _XmForegroundColorDefault(Widget widget, int offset, XrmValue
    > > *value);
    > >
    > > This function ist not more available in the new system ( no declaration
    > > in the Xm/XmP.h file)
    > >
    > > What should I do? Can somebody help me?
    > >
    > > Best Regards Laszlo
    > >

    > The declaration for _XmForegroundColorDefault has been moved from
    > XmP.h to ColorI.h. This include file is not released with the developers
    > package.
    >
    > In general, your application should NEVER use any Motif, Xt, or X11
    > functions whose name begins with an underscore. Such functions are
    > not guaranteed to exist in the next version of the libraries.
    >
    > Instead of _XmForegroundColorDefault, you should use
    > XmeGetDefaultPixel( widget, XmFOREGROUND, offset, value )
    > The declaration is in XmP.h
    >
    > --
    > Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    > Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    > Technical Architect, Software Reuse Project

  4. Re: _XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find

    "Laszlo Barabas" wrote in message
    news:1150270992.483904.198060@y41g2000cwy.googlegr oups.com...

    > Thanks for the answer, it was very helpfully
    > You mentioned that the missing function declaration is now in ColorI.h
    > and this include file is not released with the developers motif
    > package.
    >
    > Is any way to get separate package of missing parts? If no then I will
    > try with on older version of motif.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Laszlo

    The point is you should be using the public API, not the internal functions
    that begin with an underscore. These internal functions are not documented,
    and their use can lead to unexpected side effects.

    That said, the xxxI.h include files are "internal" include files and are
    available
    if you get a copy of the source code for Motif. However, as I said
    before, there is no guarantee that any of the internal non-public functions
    will be retained in any future Motif version. Using older versions means
    you do not get the advantage of any bug fixes or new capabilities.

    >> package.

    > Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:
    >> "Laszlo Barabas" wrote in message
    >> news:1150204152.008334.269730@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I have on old program developed under Linux with Motif and I want to
    >> > recompile it on a SUSE (Novell) SLES (server enterprise ) 9.0 with
    >> > service pack 3 and openmotif version 2.2.2-519.4
    >> >
    >> > My problem is that some of the function declared in Xm/XmP.h cannot
    >> > be find in the new system. ex:
    >> >
    >> > void _XmForegroundColorDefault(Widget widget, int offset, XrmValue
    >> > *value);
    >> >
    >> > This function ist not more available in the new system ( no declaration
    >> > in the Xm/XmP.h file)
    >> >
    >> > What should I do? Can somebody help me?
    >> >
    >> > Best Regards Laszlo
    >> >

    >> The declaration for _XmForegroundColorDefault has been moved from
    >> XmP.h to ColorI.h. This include file is not released with the developers
    >> package.
    >>
    >> In general, your application should NEVER use any Motif, Xt, or X11
    >> functions whose name begins with an underscore. Such functions are
    >> not guaranteed to exist in the next version of the libraries.
    >>
    >> Instead of _XmForegroundColorDefault, you should use
    >> XmeGetDefaultPixel( widget, XmFOREGROUND, offset, value )
    >> The declaration is in XmP.h
    >>
    >> --
    >> Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    >> Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    >> Technical Architect, Software Reuse Project

  5. Re: _XmForegroundColorDefault/cannot find

    Thank a lot
    Best regards Laszlop

+ Reply to Thread