upgrade xm,xt,xlib to 64-bit - Motif

This is a discussion on upgrade xm,xt,xlib to 64-bit - Motif ; Hi, Can anybody give me some pointers to upgrade the existing client libraries like Xm, Xt and Xlib to 64-bit I am pretty new to this field and not sure where to look for information. Any help would be appreciable. ...

  1. upgrade xm,xt,xlib to 64-bit

    Hi,

    Can anybody give me some pointers to upgrade the existing client
    libraries like Xm, Xt and Xlib to 64-bit

    I am pretty new to this field and not sure where to look for
    information.

    Any help would be appreciable.

    Thanks in advace.

    regards,
    Sandhya

  2. Re: upgrade xm,xt,xlib to 64-bit

    sanu wrote:

    > Can anybody give me some pointers to upgrade the existing client
    > libraries like Xm, Xt and Xlib to 64-bit
    >
    > I am pretty new to this field and not sure where to look for
    > information.

    Just get yourself a recent version of Linux, like SUSE 10.1
    http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/
    or a free download from here
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download

    and you will have all the 64 bit libraries, once you install it
    on a 64 bit system. Mostly, 32 bit compatibility libraries will also
    be installed, so 32 bit programs will continue to run.

    Note that you can not just replace the 32 bit libraries with 64
    bit ones to make your application magically a 64 bit one.
    A recompile is necessary a a minimum (if the application is
    64 bit clean), otherwise you can expect to spend some time
    with pointers and integers.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: upgrade xm,xt,xlib to 64-bit

    arahne wrote:
    > Just get yourself a recent version of Linux, like SUSE 10.1
    > http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/
    > or a free download from here
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Download
    >
    > and you will have all the 64 bit libraries, once you install it
    > on a 64 bit system. Mostly, 32 bit compatibility libraries will also
    > be installed, so 32 bit programs will continue to run.
    >
    > Note that you can not just replace the 32 bit libraries with 64
    > bit ones to make your application magically a 64 bit one.
    > A recompile is necessary a a minimum (if the application is
    > 64 bit clean), otherwise you can expect to spend some timeupgrade the existing client

    > with pointers and integers.

    Thanks for your reply.

    I'm working on OpenVMS and I need some help on how to upgrade the
    client library (Xm,Xt,Xlib) versions to 64bit.

    The reason to do this is, Presently It is difficult to mix Motif/X11
    calls in an application that uses 64-bit pointers.

    hence can you suggest me how to go about making 64 bit versions of Xm,
    Xt,Xlib libraries.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Sandhya.

  4. Re: upgrade xm,xt,xlib to 64-bit

    sanu wrote:

    > I'm working on OpenVMS and I need some help on how to upgrade the
    > client library (Xm,Xt,Xlib) versions to 64bit.
    >
    > The reason to do this is, Presently It is difficult to mix Motif/X11
    > calls in an application that uses 64-bit pointers.
    >
    > hence can you suggest me how to go about making 64 bit versions of Xm,
    > Xt,Xlib libraries.

    I think the first thing to do is to contact your vendor
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/index.html
    If that is not an option, you need to recompile the libraries
    You can use OpenMotif, if VMS is an open source operating system
    http://www.openmotif.org/
    You can get X sources here
    http://www.x.org/
    I can't help you more on that since it has been 15 years since I have
    seen a VMS machine for the last time.

    Alternatively, you could split the GUI and 64 bit code in two
    programs and use some form of IPC to make them talk.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

+ Reply to Thread