writing a GUI with a specific look ? - Motif

This is a discussion on writing a GUI with a specific look ? - Motif ; Hi everyone I know this not necessarily the best newsgroup to ask that sort of question but please be nice ;-) as I am not too sure where to start with this problem. I use c++ for my work but ...

  1. writing a GUI with a specific look ?

    Hi everyone

    I know this not necessarily the best newsgroup to ask that sort of
    question but please be nice ;-) as I am not too sure where to start
    with this problem. I use c++ for my work but always write applications
    that didn't need GUI. And know there's a project for which I'd need to
    have one. I looked around on the net and it's really incredible to see
    that there's nothing really clearly written about the subject.

    The OS that I use is Linux and i already know that I can use things
    like Qt, gtk to quickly develop GUI. The problem is that I need the
    interface to have a certain look (for those who know those app like
    Shake or Softimage... or some other fancy graphic app like Mojo World
    .... )

    I just try to find a good document somewhere (webpage, book) that
    explains me how to do that. I am really confused as exactly what motif
    is & x-windows... So hopefully i am not stupid and just need to read
    somewhere how it works and eventually how I can develop my own widgets
    (basically I'd be happy if I could only open a window with a button in
    it ;-)

    Thanks a lot everyone for reading and for your help

    Mark

  2. Re: writing a GUI with a specific look ?

    mast2as@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I know this not necessarily the best newsgroup to ask that sort of
    > question but please be nice

    [snip lengthy tale of woe]

    You need wxwidgets:

    www.wxwidgets.org

  3. Re: writing a GUI with a specific look ?

    mast2as@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I just try to find a good document somewhere (webpage, book) that
    > explains me how to do that. I am really confused as exactly what motif
    > is & x-windows...

    http://www.rahul.net/kenton/mfaq.html
    http://www.motifdeveloper.com/sql/ad...tiser=ISTmotif

    --- Casantos

  4. Re: writing a GUI with a specific look ?

    Thanks everyone for your answers. I posted the same request to a few
    groups whenever I thought it could be relevant.
    The result is that Qt seems to be the way to go. And i guess it's okay
    ;-)

    Although I am really astonished that the GUI topic doesn't take more
    importance in the programming community. Most of what we do with a
    computer when we use it, has to deal somehow with the user interface !
    Why is that (it seems to me at least) the most painful thing to do from
    a programing point of view ?

    Why can it be decided of a library for example that would implement
    common functions like "createWindow" "createButton", etc... and let
    Microsoft or Apple do the bridge between that library and their own
    operating system (so a window as Windows look if you compile under
    Windows, and a Aqua look if you compile it under Mac). The coder would
    be very happy and I don't see why Windows or Apple would see that as a
    threat... ? (or would they).

    I am really just an amateur compared to what a lot of you know about
    computers, operating system and software development but still don't
    understand why that the whole community is not crying out loud that
    this just ridiculous... (how painful it is to deal with GUI
    programing)...

    Am I just really stupid/naive or is there something big that i am
    missing. Again I am not complaining or saying that I know better. I
    would like to understand why such a crucial thing doesn't have more
    attention paid to it ...

    Thanks again everyone -Mark

  5. Re: writing a GUI with a specific look ?

    mast2as@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Why can it be decided of a library for example that would implement
    > common functions like "createWindow" "createButton", etc... and let
    > Microsoft or Apple do the bridge between that library and their own
    > operating system (so a window as Windows look if you compile under
    > Windows, and a Aqua look if you compile it under Mac). The coder would
    > be very happy and I don't see why Windows or Apple would see that as a
    > threat... ? (or would they).

    Because real applications are far more complicated than that for it to
    actually work.

+ Reply to Thread