motif pulldown and colors - Motif

This is a discussion on motif pulldown and colors - Motif ; I'm working on an app that uses Motif in pseudocolor (256 colors) using a private colormap. It ran fine until we tried to switch to Gnome on RedHat 7.1 (some time ago). This caused problems with dialogs and pulldown menus ...

  1. motif pulldown and colors

    I'm working on an app that uses Motif in pseudocolor (256 colors) using
    a private colormap. It ran fine until we tried to switch to Gnome on
    RedHat 7.1 (some time ago). This caused problems with dialogs and
    pulldown menus (the screen colors would 'freak out' when these were
    displayed/managed). The fix for the color issues was to set the
    XmNvisual for all the problem widgets. This was working fine.

    Now, trying to get the same app running under FC4 and Gnome. All the
    dialogs are still behaving properly (colors are fine). However, I'm
    running into the same problem as before with pulldown widgets again.
    When selected, the app colors seem to revert to the default system
    colors, despite setting the XmNvisual propery.

    I've tried also setting the XmNcolormap for the problem widgets, with no
    success.

    If anyone has experience with a similar situation, please email or post
    what you did to alieviate the problem.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: motif pulldown and colors

    Larry Richardson wrote:
    > I'm working on an app that uses Motif in pseudocolor (256 colors) using
    > a private colormap. It ran fine until we tried to switch to Gnome on
    > RedHat 7.1 (some time ago). This caused problems with dialogs and
    > pulldown menus (the screen colors would 'freak out' when these were
    > displayed/managed). The fix for the color issues was to set the
    > XmNvisual for all the problem widgets. This was working fine.
    >
    > Now, trying to get the same app running under FC4 and Gnome. All the
    > dialogs are still behaving properly (colors are fine). However, I'm
    > running into the same problem as before with pulldown widgets again.
    > When selected, the app colors seem to revert to the default system
    > colors, despite setting the XmNvisual propery.
    >
    > I've tried also setting the XmNcolormap for the problem widgets, with no
    > success.
    >
    > If anyone has experience with a similar situation, please email or post
    > what you did to alieviate the problem.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thirst things first :-) What does your xdpyinfo say? Maybe your X-server
    simply does not support multiple colormaps...

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    R&D Director

    Mediaxim NV/SA
    Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
    Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
    http://www.mediaxim.com/

  3. Re: motif pulldown and colors

    Michel Bardiaux wrote in

    > Larry Richardson wrote:
    >> I'm working on an app that uses Motif in pseudocolor (256 colors)
    >> using a private colormap. It ran fine until we tried to switch to
    >> Gnome on RedHat 7.1 (some time ago). This caused problems with
    >> dialogs and pulldown menus (the screen colors would 'freak out' when
    >> these were displayed/managed). The fix for the color issues was to
    >> set the XmNvisual for all the problem widgets. This was working
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> Now, trying to get the same app running under FC4 and Gnome. All the
    >> dialogs are still behaving properly (colors are fine). However, I'm
    >> running into the same problem as before with pulldown widgets again.
    >> When selected, the app colors seem to revert to the default system
    >> colors, despite setting the XmNvisual propery.
    >>
    >> I've tried also setting the XmNcolormap for the problem widgets, with
    >> no success.
    >>
    >> If anyone has experience with a similar situation, please email or
    >> post what you did to alieviate the problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Thirst things first :-) What does your xdpyinfo say? Maybe your
    > X-server simply does not support multiple colormaps...

    Nope - xdpyinfo was basically the same from Redhat7.1 and FC4.

    After experimenting, it appears that the problem was caused by the
    window manager that's now built into Gnome. Simply by changing to a
    different window manager, the problem vanished. I don't know if it was
    simply because the Gnome window manager always just used to many colors,
    or if there was something else involved. I tried running Gnome with the
    default window manager, using themes with as few colors as possible, and
    still had the problem.

    Using other window managers fixed the issue. Some of the window
    managers were not user friendly enough be be a workable solution.
    However, I loaded Xfce, and it is working fine, plus it seems to have a
    user interface that is close enough to what we come to expect (windows
    with nice frames, resizable, movable, etc) that it should do the trick.

    Thanks for the reply.

+ Reply to Thread