ANN: HView HTML widget now LGPL'ed - Motif

This is a discussion on ANN: HView HTML widget now LGPL'ed - Motif ; Back in the 90s, Gary Aviv at Computer Generation Inc. developed a HTML widget called HView. The web page can still be found at http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/ (but you can't download the demos or anything from that site at the moment). I ...

  1. ANN: HView HTML widget now LGPL'ed

    Back in the 90s, Gary Aviv at Computer Generation Inc. developed a HTML
    widget called HView. The web page can still be found at
    http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/ (but you can't download the demos or
    anything from that site at the moment).

    I recently had some email conversations with Gary. Intec, the company
    that bought CompGen, have retired their Motif code and do not wish to
    license or maintain it any longer. Gary agreed to make the source code
    for HView available and change the license to LGPL. He also mailed me an
    archive with the complete distribution, including source code and
    documentation. (The archive also includes source code for the LiteClue
    tooltip widget by the same author, which isn't so easy to locate on the
    Net any more.)

    So who needs another HTML widget? Well, HView is more lightweight than
    XmHTML, and the code seems quite robust. I think HView is very well
    suited for e.g. HTML help viewers. If you care about stability and
    reliability, you'd think at least twice before you included XmHTML in
    your application. The HView widget OTOH contains less than 10,000 lines
    of code in three source files.

    I have started the process of registering a SourceForge project for
    HView ("hviewwidget" -- unfortunately the name "hview" was already
    taken). In time, it may be a good idea to merge HView with Xbae or Xlt,
    but I figured it would be better to just fire up a separate project for now.

    Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to maintain this. I'd be happy
    to hear if anyone else finds this interesting. If someone wants to have
    a look at it right now, contact me (replace the TLD with cc in email
    address) and I'll show you where you can find it.

    --
    Per Espen Hagen
    My TLD is CC

  2. Re: ANN: HView HTML widget now LGPL'ed

    Per Espen Hagen wrote:
    > Back in the 90s, Gary Aviv at Computer Generation Inc. developed a HTML
    > widget called HView. [...] I recently had some email conversations with
    > Gary. Intec, the company that bought CompGen, have retired their Motif
    > code and do not wish to license or maintain it any longer. Gary agreed to
    > make the source code for HView available and change the license to LGPL.

    ---8<---
    > Per Espen Hagen
    > My TLD is CC

    Is there any possibility that the code be reseased under a MIT-style
    license
    instaed of the LGPL?

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: ANN: HView HTML widget now LGPL'ed

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > Per Espen Hagen wrote:

    >>Back in the 90s, Gary Aviv at Computer Generation Inc. developed a HTML
    >>widget called HView. [...] I recently had some email conversations with
    >>Gary. Intec, the company that bought CompGen, have retired their Motif
    >>code and do not wish to license or maintain it any longer. Gary agreed to
    >>make the source code for HView available and change the license to LGPL.

    > Is there any possibility that the code be reseased under a MIT-style
    > license
    > instaed of the LGPL?

    LGPL was the author's suggestion. As this is typically library code, I
    didn't see any immediate problems with it. The Xlt widget set is also
    LGPL'ed so it would be possible to merge it with that somewhere down the
    line (like Rob McMullen's SciPlot and ListTree widgets).

    If a strong case can be made that another license would be better it's
    obviously possible to talk to Gary Aviv about it.

    --
    Per Espen Hagen
    My TLD is CC

  4. Re: ANN: HView HTML widget now LGPL'ed

    Per Espen Hagen wrote:
    > Back in the 90s, Gary Aviv at Computer Generation Inc. developed a HTML
    > widget called HView. The web page can still be found at
    > http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/ (but you can't download the demos or
    > anything from that site at the moment).
    >
    > I recently had some email conversations with Gary. Intec, the company
    > that bought CompGen, have retired their Motif code and do not wish to
    > license or maintain it any longer. Gary agreed to make the source code
    > for HView available and change the license to LGPL. He also mailed me an
    > archive with the complete distribution, including source code and
    > documentation.

    > I have started the process of registering a SourceForge project for
    > HView

    Okay, the project is now up, and the source can be downloaded. Nothing
    much else there yet. You can find it at

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/hviewwidget/

    --
    Per Espen Hagen