File selection dialog - Motif

This is a discussion on File selection dialog - Motif ; I'm writing a Motif-based application that needs to display a file selection dialog. In addition to selecting files, I'd like the file selection dialog to allow the user to * create new directories * jump to their home directory. This ...

  1. File selection dialog

    I'm writing a Motif-based application that needs to display a file
    selection dialog.

    In addition to selecting files, I'd like the file selection dialog to
    allow the user to
    * create new directories
    * jump to their home directory.

    This seems to be fairly standard functionality in file selection
    dialogs these days, but the standard Motif file selection dialog
    doesn't appear to provide these features.

    Is there a good 3rd-party widget that does this? (I've not managed to
    locate one yet).
    Or is there a straightforward way of doing this myself?

    Many thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: File selection dialog

    Dave Weaver wrote:
    > I'm writing a Motif-based application that needs to display a file
    > selection dialog.
    >
    > In addition to selecting files, I'd like the file selection dialog to
    > allow the user to
    > * create new directories
    > * jump to their home directory.
    >
    > This seems to be fairly standard functionality in file selection
    > dialogs these days, but the standard Motif file selection dialog
    > doesn't appear to provide these features.
    >
    > Is there a good 3rd-party widget that does this? (I've not managed to
    > locate one yet).
    > Or is there a straightforward way of doing this myself?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Dave

    Yep, the standard Motif file selection dialog (like so much else in
    Motif) lags behind the times by at least a decade.

    Commercial software vendors like PTC and Rational have duplicated the
    functionality of the MS Windows file selector, but those
    implementations will never be released to the Motif community.

    Shame, that.

    Doing it yourself, while possible in theory, would be a royal
    bitch-and-a-half in practice. However, if you did it, and released it
    back to the community, they'd be writing songs about you for a hundred
    years!

  3. Re: File selection dialog

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > Doing it yourself, while possible in theory, would be a royal
    > bitch-and-a-half in practice. However, if you did it, and released it
    > back to the community, they'd be writing songs about you for a hundred
    > years!

    :-(
    I was afraid that would be the answer.

    Much as I'd love to have songs written in my honour, I fear my
    Motif skills aren't up to the task (This is my first Motif project,
    so I've only got a few week's of experience), and I don't really
    have the time either.

    Does anyone know of any 3rd-party replacement file-selection
    dialogs that I could use? I don't mind paying for the functionaily
    that I need.

  4. Re: File selection dialog

    Dave Weaver wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any 3rd-party replacement file-selection
    > dialogs that I could use? I don't mind paying for the functionaily
    > that I need.

    I don't know of any commercial ones, and the only free one I can think
    of works with athena, not motif. It probably wouldn't be to hard to
    port it over to motif though...

    It was written by Ed Falk, have a look:

    http://www.efalk.org/Widgets/#fileselect

+ Reply to Thread