Replacement File/Directory selection dialogs? - Motif

This is a discussion on Replacement File/Directory selection dialogs? - Motif ; My application needs directory and file selection dialogs. The standard Motif file selector doesn't appear to have any means of * going directly to the users home directory * creating a new directory. Is there either a simple way to ...

  1. Replacement File/Directory selection dialogs?

    My application needs directory and file selection dialogs.

    The standard Motif file selector doesn't appear to have any means of
    * going directly to the users home directory
    * creating a new directory.

    Is there either a simple way to add this functionality, or a 3rd-party
    dialog box that provides it?

  2. Re: Replacement File/Directory selection dialogs?

    wrote in message
    news:1137598879.860210.213910@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > My application needs directory and file selection dialogs.
    >
    > The standard Motif file selector doesn't appear to have any means of
    > * going directly to the users home directory
    > * creating a new directory.
    >
    > Is there either a simple way to add this functionality, or a 3rd-party
    > dialog box that provides it?

    You can easily add that yourself. Just add a "Home" button to the
    FileSelection box, and have its activateCallback set the active directory to
    the user's HOME. Note that determining the user's HOME may be system
    dependent.

    In the same manner, you can add a labeled text field to input a new
    directory name; again, how your application then creates the directory may
    be system dependent.

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Replacement File/Directory selection dialogs?

    Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:
    > You can easily add that yourself. Just add a "Home" button to the
    > FileSelection box, and have its activateCallback set the active directory to
    > the user's HOME. Note that determining the user's HOME may be system
    > dependent.
    >
    > In the same manner, you can add a labeled text field to input a new
    > directory name; again, how your application then creates the directory may
    > be system dependent.

    That is correct.
    But Motif's FSB is also lacking in many other respects:
    - rename file within FSB (by clicking in the filename list)
    - ability to switch to detail view (filename, date, filesize...)
    - ability to sort files by name, date, filesize, ...
    - (optional) tree display of directory structure
    - a "history" button of recently "read from" directories
    (so you can quickly switch between two dirs which are far apart)
    - thumbnail view of files...

    I am doing some of this by myself in my app, but it is a pain.
    These can't be done by adding buttons to Motif's FSB.

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  4. Re: Replacement File/Directory selection dialogs?

    "arahne" wrote in message
    > Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:
    >> You can easily add that yourself. Just add a "Home" button to the
    >> FileSelection box, and have its activateCallback set the active directory
    >> to the user's HOME. Note that determining the user's HOME may be system
    >> dependent.
    >>
    >> In the same manner, you can add a labeled text field to input a new
    >> directory name; again, how your application then creates the directory
    >> may be system dependent.

    > That is correct.
    > But Motif's FSB is also lacking in many other respects:
    > - rename file within FSB (by clicking in the filename list)
    > - ability to switch to detail view (filename, date, filesize...)
    > - ability to sort files by name, date, filesize, ...
    > - (optional) tree display of directory structure
    > - a "history" button of recently "read from" directories
    > (so you can quickly switch between two dirs which are far apart)
    > - thumbnail view of files...
    >
    > I am doing some of this by myself in my app, but it is a pain.
    > These can't be done by adding buttons to Motif's FSB.
    >
    > Dušan Peterc
    > http://www.arahne.si

    These observations are all true. That is why I wrote a FileManager widget
    that uses an XmContainer in OUTLINE layout (for the directory tree) on the
    left side for the directories, and a MultiColumnList (another widget I
    wrote) on the right for the files. It is a lot of work to do this.

    These widgets are proprietary property of my company, so I cannot share
    them.