Monitoring keyboard when not having input focus. - Motif

This is a discussion on Monitoring keyboard when not having input focus. - Motif ; Hello, Is it possible for an app to monitor keyboard events even when not having input focus ? Basically the requirement is for the app to deiconify and pop itself up when a "hot key" is pressed no matter which ...

  1. Monitoring keyboard when not having input focus.

    Hello,

    Is it possible for an app to monitor keyboard events even when not
    having input focus ? Basically the requirement is for the app to deiconify
    and pop itself up when a "hot key" is pressed no matter which app has the
    focus.

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Srikanth

  2. Re: Monitoring keyboard when not having input focus.

    Cheeka wrote:

    > Is it possible for an app to monitor keyboard events even when not
    > having input focus ? Basically the requirement is for the app to deiconify
    > and pop itself up when a "hot key" is pressed no matter which app has the
    > focus.

    I think (and hope!) there's no way to do this from the application
    itself, at least without ugly hacks.

    That doesn't mean what you want can't be done, of course. The proper way
    to do this is to have the window manager deiconify the window when the
    hot key is pressed. How to achieve this depends on what window manager
    you use.

    --
    Per Espen Hagen
    To reply by mail, replace the TLD with CC

+ Reply to Thread