mwm: Failed to own WM_nn selection - Motif

This is a discussion on mwm: Failed to own WM_nn selection - Motif ; Hi, I have recently installed and been using, with a degree of success, MWM from the openmotif-devel-2.1.30-4_MLI distribution. I am running Linux RedHat 9. After a crash or some erroneous application behaviour I can no longer start the window manager ...

  1. mwm: Failed to own WM_nn selection

    Hi,

    I have recently installed and been using, with a degree of success, MWM
    from the openmotif-devel-2.1.30-4_MLI distribution. I am running Linux
    RedHat 9.

    After a crash or some erroneous application behaviour I can no longer
    start the window manager without this error. Is there a temporary lock
    file or something that needs deleting?

    Any help appreciated.

    Andy Bissell

  2. Re: mwm: Failed to own WM_nn selection

    andy.bissell@objektum.com wrote:

    > I have recently installed and been using, with a degree of success, MWM
    > from the openmotif-devel-2.1.30-4_MLI distribution. I am running Linux
    > RedHat 9.

    If strict Motif 2.1 compatibility is required for you, get OpenMotif
    2.1.32 from
    IST at

    http://www.ist.co.uk/DOWNLOADS/motif_download.html

    > After a crash or some erroneous application behaviour I can no longer
    > start the window manager without this error. Is there a temporary lock
    > file or something that needs deleting?

    As far as I can tell, you will have to restart the server in order to
    be alowed
    to run mwm again.

    WM_nn (wherw "nn" are screen numbers) are "selections". They are used
    by
    mwm as locking mechanism ensure that only one window manager has the
    control over each screen. In normal operation, quitting mwm should
    remove
    them but if it crashes then they are kept on X the server.

    For more informations about selections, see

    http://www.tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/wi...selection.html

    I hope this helps.

    --- Casantos

+ Reply to Thread