Translation tables - Motif

This is a discussion on Translation tables - Motif ; Hi, On P.257 of "X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual" (Volume Four Motif Edition, OSF/Motif 1.2 Edition) it says all b events not preceded by a events are discarded with a translation table: a, b : something() : else() Why? Was ...

  1. Translation tables

    Hi,
    On P.257 of "X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual"
    (Volume Four Motif Edition, OSF/Motif 1.2 Edition) it says
    all b events not preceded by a events are discarded
    with a translation table:

    a,b : something()
    : else()

    Why? Was there a design decision to do that, or was it just
    a quirk that a particular algorithm happen to have?

    It says b events will work as expected with:

    a,b : something()
    b : else()
    : else()

  2. Re: Translation tables

    Hi!
    It looks meeningfuly to me - it says that translation " a,b
    : something()" fires up something() only if you have pushed a and
    then b. Remember that each line decribes one translation, its
    simple...

    > On P.257 of "X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual"
    > (Volume Four Motif Edition, OSF/Motif 1.2 Edition) it says
    > all b events not preceded by a events are discarded
    > with a translation table:
    >
    > a,b : something()
    > : else()
    >
    > Why? Was there a design decision to do that, or was it just
    > a quirk that a particular algorithm happen to have?
    >
    > It says b events will work as expected with:
    >
    > a,b : something()
    > b : else()
    > : else()

  3. Re: Translation tables

    KV-2 wrote:
    > Hi!
    > It looks meeningfuly to me - it says that translation " a,b
    > : something()" fires up something() only if you have pushed a and
    > then b. Remember that each line decribes one translation, its
    > simple...

    Yes but for the sequence x, b, ...
    then b is discarded instead of reaching the catch-all .

    >>On P.257 of "X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual"
    >>(Volume Four Motif Edition, OSF/Motif 1.2 Edition) it says
    >>all b events not preceded by a events are discarded
    >>with a translation table:
    >>
    >> a,b : something()
    >> : else()
    >>
    >>Why? Was there a design decision to do that, or was it just
    >>a quirk that a particular algorithm happen to have?
    >>
    >>It says b events will work as expected with:
    >>
    >> a,b : something()
    >> b : else()
    >> : else()

+ Reply to Thread