Multiple X servers? - Motif

This is a discussion on Multiple X servers? - Motif ; My site recently got in several dual-head Alpha workstations running OpenVMS, DECwindows/Motif 1.3-1. (Our software is currently not rated for VMS V8.2 & DW/M 1.5.) I've got one set up for multiple screens, but what I'd like to do is ...

  1. Multiple X servers?

    My site recently got in several dual-head Alpha workstations running
    OpenVMS, DECwindows/Motif 1.3-1. (Our software is currently not rated
    for VMS V8.2 & DW/M 1.5.) I've got one set up for multiple screens,
    but what I'd like to do is have multiple *displays* (i.e., multiple X
    servers), so if I happen to set a breakpoint in the routine for
    bringing up a popup menu (for example), I can regain control without
    going to another machine & killing the process. The machines have a
    single keyboard & mouse.

    Is this even possible? What's the "right" way to set this up? I'm
    assuming Xinerama wouldn't help here.

  2. Re: Multiple X servers?

    "Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    news:1128006291.697282.122170@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > My site recently got in several dual-head Alpha workstations running
    > OpenVMS, DECwindows/Motif 1.3-1. (Our software is currently not rated
    > for VMS V8.2 & DW/M 1.5.) I've got one set up for multiple screens,
    > but what I'd like to do is have multiple *displays* (i.e., multiple X
    > servers), so if I happen to set a breakpoint in the routine for
    > bringing up a popup menu (for example), I can regain control without
    > going to another machine & killing the process. The machines have a
    > single keyboard & mouse.
    >
    > Is this even possible? What's the "right" way to set this up? I'm
    > assuming Xinerama wouldn't help here.

    The short answer is: *Each* X11 server instance must have it's own
    graphics display, and a KB and mouse. If you have a functioning
    USB port, it is possible to do this with a few magic commands.
    Except for the EV7 based systems, I'm not sure any of the Alpha
    workstations have correctly working USB ports. You could go to
    WalMart and buy a 5-port belkin PCI USB card (which is what I
    do on my DS10).

    The design of the input drivers and server interfaces would require
    major surgery to change this.

  3. Re: Multiple X servers?

    An easier way is is get a VNC server running. Run your debugger outside
    the VNC in the main window on display 0. Run the target inside the VNC,
    and run the viewier display 1 (or the same screen, even).

    Your VNC server/viewer doesn't even need to run on the same machine, if
    you have trouble compiling it.

  4. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Xnest can provide the functionality you want.

    --- Casantos

  5. Re: Multiple X servers?

    "ST" wrote in message
    > An easier way is is get a VNC server running. Run your debugger outside
    > the VNC in the main window on display 0. Run the target inside the VNC,
    > and run the viewier display 1 (or the same screen, even).
    >
    > Your VNC server/viewer doesn't even need to run on the same machine, if
    > you have trouble compiling it.

    I don't know of a VNC *server* for VMS, I know there is a VNC *client* for
    VMS.

    But it doesn't help him. He wants to not have the interactive issues of an
    active X11 application (be it the debugger, or VNC) on the same X11 server.
    This can be an issue, because simply changing focus can change the
    state of the application being debugged.

    The alternatives that I see are:

    - Don't use the DECwindows debugger, and plug in a terminal or
    a PC with a terminal emulator (or X11 emulator).

    - Use another X11 workstation

    - Figure out how to get a USB PCI card onto the system so that you
    can get a second KB and Mouse - in which case you can run the
    system dual seat with a server for each head.kb.mouse combination.

  6. Re: Multiple X servers?

    I'll bite. I know kind of what it is, how does it solve it? And do you
    know
    of a VMS implementation?

    wrote in message
    news:1128035461.636557.278680@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Xnest can provide the functionality you want.
    >
    > --- Casantos

  7. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Hi Joe Sewell

    What is the model number of the 5-port belkin PCI USB card you are
    using on your DS10? Do any of the other single or dual port boards
    work?

    What devices do they appear as under VMS and what version are you
    using?

    I am using a DS10L.

    Thanks

    Stuart

  8. Re: Multiple X servers?

    While I am not Joe, AFAIK the only USB card that I have seen at Wal-Mart is
    a 5-port USB card that is packaged by Belkin, and which has a NEC chip on
    it.

    I'd have to pull my system apart to get the chip detail, but I'm sure it has
    come
    up before in the past (google search the archives for something from
    probably
    Forrest Kenney).

    You may need to edit an entry into sys$user_config.dat for it.

    V7.3-2 & V8.2-1

    wrote in message
    news:1128078276.849643.308880@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi Joe Sewell
    >
    > What is the model number of the 5-port belkin PCI USB card you are
    > using on your DS10? Do any of the other single or dual port boards
    > work?
    >
    > What devices do they appear as under VMS and what version are you
    > using?
    >
    > I am using a DS10L.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

  9. Re: Multiple X servers?

    In article , ST writes:
    > An easier way is is get a VNC server running. Run your debugger outside
    > the VNC in the main window on display 0. Run the target inside the VNC,
    > and run the viewier display 1 (or the same screen, even).
    >
    > Your VNC server/viewer doesn't even need to run on the same machine, if
    > you have trouble compiling it.

    Is there a VNC server for VMS now? Last time I looked only the
    client was available.

  10. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Try the F5U220 which is the 5-port Belkin USB controller. $29.62

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2470580

    wrote in message
    news:1128078276.849643.308880@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi Joe Sewell
    >
    > What is the model number of the 5-port belkin PCI USB card you are
    > using on your DS10? Do any of the other single or dual port boards
    > work?
    >
    > What devices do they appear as under VMS and what version are you
    > using?
    >
    > I am using a DS10L.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

  11. Re: Multiple X servers?

    FredK wrote:

    > But it doesn't help him. He wants to not have the interactive issues of an
    > active X11 application (be it the debugger, or VNC) on the same X11 server.
    > This can be an issue, because simply changing focus can change the
    > state of the application being debugged.

    That is why you run the debug *target* inside the VNC - it has it's own
    virtualized X server unaffected by anything.

    If there's no VNC server for VMS, simply run the server on another
    (Linux) box and remote display to it. Example:

    vmsbox: run your reals X server and VNC client
    linuxbox: runs the VNC server

    On vmsbox, start your debugger. Tell it to run "myapp -display
    linuxbox:1" where "linuxbox:1" is a VNC server

    If there is no VNC client for VMS, simply run the *client* on the
    another box and remote display back to your VMS box (vncviewer -display
    vmsbox:0 linuxbox:1". I doubt this since the VNC client is so simple
    that it can run in a web browser.

    Trust me, I do this ALL the time for weird UNIX boxes, and I never need
    to compile any VNC servers or clients.

  12. Re: Multiple X servers?

    "ST" wrote in message
    > FredK wrote:
    >
    > > But it doesn't help him. He wants to not have the interactive issues of

    an
    > > active X11 application (be it the debugger, or VNC) on the same X11

    server.
    > > This can be an issue, because simply changing focus can change the
    > > state of the application being debugged.

    > That is why you run the debug *target* inside the VNC - it has it's own
    > virtualized X server unaffected by anything.
    >
    > If there's no VNC server for VMS, simply run the server on another
    > (Linux) box and remote display to it. Example:
    >
    > vmsbox: run your reals X server and VNC client
    > linuxbox: runs the VNC server
    >
    > On vmsbox, start your debugger. Tell it to run "myapp -display
    > linuxbox:1" where "linuxbox:1" is a VNC server
    >
    > If there is no VNC client for VMS, simply run the *client* on the
    > another box and remote display back to your VMS box (vncviewer -display
    > vmsbox:0 linuxbox:1". I doubt this since the VNC client is so simple
    > that it can run in a web browser.
    >
    > Trust me, I do this ALL the time for weird UNIX boxes, and I never need
    > to compile any VNC servers or clients.

    Interesting, if perverse, hack. There are some downsides to it, since it
    will not model the actual run time environment exactly, but for simple
    application debug - sounds like a interesting idea.

    Unfortunately, in Joe's case (since I know where he works) - they are
    running a complex 2D and 3D environment - that I doubt they would be
    able to bounce sucessfully through a VNC client.

  13. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Xnest allows you to run "virtual" X servers as clients of "true" X
    servers. For
    example, supposing your display is ":0", you can provide display ":1"
    with

    Xnest :1

    After that you can start your application, redirecting it to the
    virtual X server:

    my_program -display :1

    If you want to debug your program, set the DISPLAY environment variable
    to ":1" before starting the debugger. With GUI-based debuger (like
    DDD),
    however, it is better to pass "-display :1" a command-line argument
    from
    inside the debugger.

    I hope you can use the examples above. I'm sorry but can't remember the
    correct command-line syntax for OpenVMS. I used to know these things
    ten
    years ago, but time goes by...

    If you don't have Xnest for OpenVMS you can try to compile it, but that
    can
    become a hard and tedious task. The source code is included in the
    X.Org
    reference implementation, available at

    ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.2/src-si....2-src.tar.bz2

    After extracting it, go to xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xnest/ .

    --- Casantos

  14. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Xnest can provide the functionality you want

    --- Casanto

  15. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Hi Joe Sewel

    What is the model number of the 5-port belkin PCI USB card you ar
    using on your DS10? Do any of the other single or dual port board
    work

    What devices do they appear as under VMS and what version are yo
    using

    I am using a DS10L.

    Thank

    Stuar

  16. Re: Multiple X servers?

    Xnest allows you to run "virtual" X servers as clients of "true"
    servers. Fo
    example, supposing your display is ":0", you can provide display ":1
    wit

    Xnest :

    After that you can start your application, redirecting it to th
    virtual X server

    my_program -display :

    If you want to debug your program, set the DISPLAY environment variabl
    to ":1" before starting the debugger. With GUI-based debuger (lik
    DDD)
    however, it is better to pass "-display :1" a command-line argumen
    fro
    inside the debugger

    I hope you can use the examples above. I'm sorry but can't remember th
    correct command-line syntax for OpenVMS. I used to know these thing
    te
    years ago, but time goes by..

    If you don't have Xnest for OpenVMS you can try to compile it, but tha
    ca
    become a hard and tedious task. The source code is included in th
    X.Or
    reference implementation, available a

    ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.2/src-si...8.2-src.tar.bz

    After extracting it, go to xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xnest/

    --- Casanto

  17. Re: Multiple X servers?

    stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au wrote:
    > Hi Joe Sewell
    >
    > What is the model number of the 5-port belkin PCI USB card you are
    > using on your DS10? Do any of the other single or dual port boards
    > work?
    >
    > What devices do they appear as under VMS and what version are you
    > using?
    >
    > I am using a DS10L.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

    I think it's FredK you want to direct that at.

  18. Re: Multiple X servers?

    stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au wrote
    > Hi Joe Sewel

    > What is the model number of the 5-port belkin PCI USB card you ar
    > using on your DS10? Do any of the other single or dual port board
    > work

    > What devices do they appear as under VMS and what version are yo
    > using

    > I am using a DS10L
    >
    > Thank
    >
    > Stuar

    I think it's FredK you want to direct that at

+ Reply to Thread