Popup menus sometimes make my screen go pop! - Motif

This is a discussion on Popup menus sometimes make my screen go pop! - Motif ; I have a Motif app with text widgets with popup menus. On some systems (e.g. XFree86 version 4.3 on a Linux 2.4.21 on a Dell Dimension PC), sometimes, when you click button 3 to get the popup menu the screen ...

  1. Popup menus sometimes make my screen go pop!

    I have a Motif app with text widgets with popup menus. On some systems (e.g.
    XFree86 version 4.3 on a Linux 2.4.21 on a Dell Dimension PC), sometimes,
    when you click button 3 to get the popup menu the screen blanks with a
    little electrostatic crackle, as if the power had been cut. It then warms
    up again after a few seconds and the next time you try you get the menu.

    This happens sporadically and is fairly irritating.

    Here's my code for posting the menu.

    static void post_popupeditmenu(
    Widget w,
    XtPointer cd,
    XEvent *ev,
    Boolean *unused)
    {
    XButtonPressedEvent *event = &(ev->xbutton);
    if (event->button == 3) {
    Widget menu_w = (Widget) cd;
    XmMenuPosition(menu_w, event);
    XtManageChild(menu_w);
    }
    }
    /* Snip ....
    XtAddEventHandler(work_w, ButtonPressMask, False,
    post_popupeditmenu, menu_w);
    .... */

    I'd be grateful for any ideas about what's going wrong or how to fix it.

    Regards,

    Rob.

  2. Re: Popup menus sometimes make my screen go pop!

    I've seen this in various apps. Are you are using XFree86 (or maybe
    Xorg)? If so, then it's a bug in that X server. It's something weird
    where it's getting confused about when the screensaver should kick in.

    IIRC, it can happen when the mouse configuration is incorrect, e.g., you
    change the type of mouse without changing reconfiguring X to know about
    it.

    You also can disable screen-blanking by using "xset s off".

  3. Re: Popup menus sometimes make my screen go pop!

    ST wrote:

    > I've seen this in various apps. Are you are using XFree86 (or maybe
    > Xorg)? If so, then it's a bug in that X server. It's something weird
    > where it's getting confused about when the screensaver should kick in.

    XFree86.

    > IIRC, it can happen when the mouse configuration is incorrect, e.g., you
    > change the type of mouse without changing reconfiguring X to know about
    > it.
    >
    > You also can disable screen-blanking by using "xset s off".

    Thanks, but that doesn't seem to help. No other applications on the system
    have ever been known to display the problem.

    Regards,

    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread