Problems with long-running apps that create/destroy lots of Widgets? - Motif

This is a discussion on Problems with long-running apps that create/destroy lots of Widgets? - Motif ; Has anybody else noticed any problems with applications that create/destroy lots of Widgets over a long period of time? Generally ours will create/destroy an entire Shell (with a complex widget tree) at a time. I've noticed what I believe are ...

  1. Problems with long-running apps that create/destroy lots of Widgets?

    Has anybody else noticed any problems with applications that
    create/destroy lots of Widgets over a long period of time? Generally
    ours will create/destroy an entire Shell (with a complex widget tree)
    at a time.

    I've noticed what I believe are memory leaks (client and server),
    instability due to crashing, and performance degradation. My take on
    it is that Motif/Xt were designed and tested with a pattern of
    applications that create widget trees when the application is run and
    destroy them when the application exits (think xclock, dtwm's
    front-panel, etc) and not a lot of testing has been done on an
    application like mine...

    I'm running fairly new patchlevels of Solaris 9, if that matters.

    Rob

  2. Re: Problems with long-running apps that create/destroy lots of Widgets?

    Check out the "initialResourcesPersistent" resource (in Core).

  3. Re: Problems with long-running apps that create/destroy lots of Widgets?

    Rob wrote:

    > I've noticed what I believe are memory leaks (client and server),
    > instability due to crashing, and performance degradation. My take on
    > it is that Motif/Xt were designed and tested with a pattern of
    > applications that create widget trees when the application is run and
    > destroy them when the application exits (think xclock, dtwm's
    > front-panel, etc) and not a lot of testing has been done on an
    > application like mine...

    > I'm running fairly new patchlevels of Solaris 9, if that matters.

    I have seen similar behaviour, notably with third party products.

    Client: The Xt/Motif library is very mature and I can't remember
    last time I found a leak in one one of the libraries. I'm not
    saying that none exists, but I have one application which behaves
    similar (from your description) to yours and it does not leak.

    Server: I have also experienced Xsun eating a lot of memory,
    without being able to pinpoint which application is at fault. This
    is almost always due to applications not freeing resources
    correctly, but recently I have begun to suspect the X-server
    itself, but have not had time to investigate. For one, it appears
    that Solaris 8 is worse than Solaris 9.....

    The initialResourcesPersistent resource might do the trick for
    you......

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@ericsson.com ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |

+ Reply to Thread