UTF-8 Support - Motif

This is a discussion on UTF-8 Support - Motif ; Hi All, I have a few questions regarding Motif. I am very new to motif and please bear me for the questions: 1. What is the latest version of Motif and where can i get the lastest version for both ...

  1. UTF-8 Support

    Hi All,

    I have a few questions regarding Motif. I am very new to motif and please
    bear me for the questions:

    1. What is the latest version of Motif and where can i get the lastest
    version for both Solaris and Linux
    2. Is motif and open motif the same. If so do they provide support for UTF-8

    We are currently having motif 2.1.0 on solaris 8 and 2.2.2 on Linux

  2. Re: UTF-8 Support

    http://www.motifzone.net/

    > 2. Is motif and open motif the same.

    Yes and no:
    they come from the same source, but OpenMotif was released
    with and open source license, while Motif remains closed
    source with a more restrictive license.
    OpenMotif's open source license is contested, since it is free
    only for OS whose base OS is also open source.
    That means it is free on Linux, but not on Windows.
    I don't know if that includes your version of Solaris or not,
    now that Sun has also gone sort of open source.

    Second difference is that Motif is dead (TM), while
    OpenMotif is still being developed. Although not at stellar
    pace, but since I do not contribute, I am not complaining.

    Think of OpenMotif as a legal open source fork of Motif.

    > If so do they provide support for UTF-8

    Currently no, but it is supposedly implemented in the upcoming
    OpenMotif 2.3
    It is not yet released, but you can get it from CVS and
    compile it by yourself. I tried but "configure" failed on my SUSE 9.3
    Let me know if you succeed, and what did you do to fix it.

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

+ Reply to Thread