X Windows for Dummies? ;-) - Motif

This is a discussion on X Windows for Dummies? ;-) - Motif ; Can anyone please recommend a good _free_ book/tutorial (HTML/PDF/TXT/PS) I can download that will introduce me to X Windows programming? I have had one C course. Zach...

  1. X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    Can anyone please recommend a good _free_ book/tutorial
    (HTML/PDF/TXT/PS)
    I can download that will introduce me to X Windows programming?

    I have had one C course.

    Zach

  2. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    Unless you really know that you want X, you probably want to start with
    a higher-level toolkit like GTK (C) or Qt (C++).

    1.3 seconds with Google gives the cunningly obfuscated URL:

    http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

  3. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    ST wrote:
    > Unless you really know that you want X, you probably want to start with
    > a higher-level toolkit like GTK (C) or Qt (C++).
    >
    > 1.3 seconds with Google gives the cunningly obfuscated URL:
    >
    > http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

    Well, given that he posted to c.w.x.motif, he might want to start with
    another higher-level toolkit, namely Motif. These might be good places
    to start:

    http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/docs/
    http://www.ist.co.uk/motif/motif_prog.html

    --
    Per Espen Hagen
    To reply by mail, replace spam with cc

  4. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

  5. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    "Zach" wrote in news:1123233084.689278.101720
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    > Can anyone please recommend a good _free_ book/tutorial
    > (HTML/PDF/TXT/PS)
    > I can download that will introduce me to X Windows programming?

    My web site has pointers to hundreds of tutorials and technical papers on
    X Window System and Motif programming.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  6. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    Thanks Per Espen!

    Zach

  7. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    Thanks Dušan!

    Zach

  8. Re: X Windows for Dummies? ;-)

    There is a lot there to digest. Thanks Ken!

    Zach

+ Reply to Thread