tooltips on insensitive widgets - Motif

This is a discussion on tooltips on insensitive widgets - Motif ; I had this *brilliant* idea of using tootips to explain why a particular menu entry or other button is insensitive. Tried with the Xlt BubbleButton, tried with my own XtAddEventHandler, in both cases it seems it is simply impossible to ...

  1. tooltips on insensitive widgets

    I had this *brilliant* idea of using tootips to explain why a particular
    menu entry or other button is insensitive. Tried with the Xlt
    BubbleButton, tried with my own XtAddEventHandler, in both cases it
    seems it is simply impossible to get Enter/Leave notifications for
    insensitive widgets (the handlers work fine when the widget *is*
    sensitive). A quick look at the source of XtDispatchEvent seems to
    confirm it. Anyone knows a way I didnt see?

    Or do I have to cobble up my own XtDispatchEvent for Enter/Leave? It is
    not out of the question, since source code is freely available, and it
    does not seem overly obscure, and I have my own events loop already
    anyway. So I may end up doing just that.

    TIA,
    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

  2. Re: tooltips on insensitive widgets

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    > I had this *brilliant* idea of using tootips to explain why a particular
    > menu entry or other button is insensitive. Tried with the Xlt
    > BubbleButton, tried with my own XtAddEventHandler, in both cases it
    > seems it is simply impossible to get Enter/Leave notifications for
    > insensitive widgets (the handlers work fine when the widget *is*
    > sensitive). A quick look at the source of XtDispatchEvent seems to
    > confirm it. Anyone knows a way I didnt see?
    >
    > Or do I have to cobble up my own XtDispatchEvent for Enter/Leave? It is
    > not out of the question, since source code is freely available, and it
    > does not seem overly obscure, and I have my own events loop already
    > anyway. So I may end up doing just that.

    I use a lightly customized version of LiteClue (available from
    http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/), which solves this issue in a
    similar way -- by providing a DispatchEvent function to be inserted into
    an event loop (not a replacement for XtDispatchEvent, but a separate
    function that sends Enter/Leave events to insensitive widgets that are
    "watched" by the LiteClue widget).

    --
    Per Espen Hagen
    To reply by mail, replace spam with cc

  3. Re: tooltips on insensitive widgets

    Per Espen Hagen wrote:
    > Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    >
    >> I had this *brilliant* idea of using tootips to explain why a
    >> particular menu entry or other button is insensitive. Tried with the
    >> Xlt BubbleButton, tried with my own XtAddEventHandler, in both cases
    >> it seems it is simply impossible to get Enter/Leave notifications for
    >> insensitive widgets (the handlers work fine when the widget *is*
    >> sensitive). A quick look at the source of XtDispatchEvent seems to
    >> confirm it. Anyone knows a way I didnt see?
    >>
    >> Or do I have to cobble up my own XtDispatchEvent for Enter/Leave? It
    >> is not out of the question, since source code is freely available, and
    >> it does not seem overly obscure, and I have my own events loop already
    >> anyway. So I may end up doing just that.

    > I use a lightly customized version of LiteClue (available from
    > http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/)

    When trying to access it I get "550 failed to change directory". Do you
    know another URL? Or could you mail me a tarball?

    >, which solves this issue in a
    > similar way

    Do you mean "LiteClue solves..." or "my light customization solves..."?
    If the latter, can you post a patch?

    > -- by providing a DispatchEvent function to be inserted into
    > an event loop (not a replacement for XtDispatchEvent, but a separate
    > function that sends Enter/Leave events to insensitive widgets that are
    > "watched" by the LiteClue widget).

    Mm, yes, a better track (more stable) than mine of replacing the whole
    XtDispatchEvent.

    Greetings,
    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles
    Tel : +32 2 790.29.41

  4. Re: tooltips on insensitive widgets

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    > Per Espen Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had this *brilliant* idea of using tootips to explain why a
    >>> particular menu entry or other button is insensitive. Tried with the
    >>> Xlt BubbleButton, tried with my own XtAddEventHandler, in both cases
    >>> it seems it is simply impossible to get Enter/Leave notifications for
    >>> insensitive widgets (the handlers work fine when the widget *is*
    >>> sensitive). A quick look at the source of XtDispatchEvent seems to
    >>> confirm it. Anyone knows a way I didnt see?
    >>>
    >>> Or do I have to cobble up my own XtDispatchEvent for Enter/Leave? It
    >>> is not out of the question, since source code is freely available,
    >>> and it does not seem overly obscure, and I have my own events loop
    >>> already anyway. So I may end up doing just that.

    >> I use a lightly customized version of LiteClue (available from
    >> http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/)

    > When trying to access it I get "550 failed to change directory". Do you
    > know another URL? Or could you mail me a tarball?

    I found it at
    ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/ftp01/debian-mi...16.orig.tar.gz
    (there is a diff.gz to be used too)

    >> , which solves this issue in a similar way

    > Do you mean "LiteClue solves..." or "my light customization solves..."?
    > If the latter, can you post a patch?

    "Use the source Luke". I found the answer in LiteClue.c: it does it
    natively.

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles
    Tel : +32 2 790.29.41

+ Reply to Thread