mouse pointer - Motif

This is a discussion on mouse pointer - Motif ; Hello, I have set up a Debian system with some graphics as a kiosk in a museum. The program is bugless except for one thing. I need the mouse pointer to NOT show up. The program is set to open ...

  1. mouse pointer

    Hello,

    I have set up a Debian system with some graphics as a kiosk in a
    museum. The program is bugless except for one thing. I need the mouse
    pointer to NOT show up. The program is set to open up by itself so that
    no one at the museum has to actually type anything to get the program to
    run, however their is the mouse pointer right in the middle of the
    screen. How do I tell the computer, or the motif window, that I do not
    want it drawn. I tried to comment out all the mentions of the mouse in
    the XF86Conf-4 file, but it would not start the program after I did
    that. It stated some I/O error. Please help.

    Andy

  2. Re: mouse pointer

    In article <422F6885.C8A0BD63@gmail.com> Andrew Nash writes:
    > I have set up a Debian system with some graphics as a kiosk in a
    >museum. The program is bugless except for one thing. I need the mouse
    >pointer to NOT show up. The program is set to open up by itself so that
    >no one at the museum has to actually type anything to get the program to
    >run, however their is the mouse pointer right in the middle of the
    >screen. How do I tell the computer, or the motif window, that I do not
    >want it drawn. I tried to comment out all the mentions of the mouse in
    >the XF86Conf-4 file, but it would not start the program after I did
    >that. It stated some I/O error. Please help.

    Why not just warp the pointer with XWarpPointer() to the lower right corner
    of the screen? If you have the standard arrow pointer, that will leave just
    a little white dot there.

    Another way would be to make the pointer invisible, but warping is easier.

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "Do molecular biologists wear designer genes?"

  3. Re: mouse pointer

    Hi Andy,

    > I have set up a Debian system with some graphics as a kiosk in a
    > museum. The program is bugless except for one thing. I need the
    > mouse pointer to NOT show up.

    Use the `unclutter' Debian package. It hides the mouse pointer.

    Cheers,

    --
    Ralph Corderoy. http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/ http://troff.org/

  4. Re: mouse pointer

    Thank you both. I went with the XWarpPointer, but I read up on the other
    suggestion. The museum people are HApPy.

    Andy
    "Obey The Laws of Physics"

    "Ralph Corderoy" wrote in message
    > Hi Andy,
    >
    > > I have set up a Debian system with some graphics as a kiosk in a
    > > museum. The program is bugless except for one thing. I need the
    > > mouse pointer to NOT show up.

    > Use the `unclutter' Debian package. It hides the mouse pointer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > --
    > Ralph Corderoy. http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/ http://troff.org/

+ Reply to Thread