Architecture of a widget ? - Motif

This is a discussion on Architecture of a widget ? - Motif ; I am trying to setup a file selection dialog to behave properly on VMS. I've found the names of the DirList and ItemsList widgets that control the XmScrolledList widgets for the directory and the file list respectively. However, since I ...

  1. Architecture of a widget ?

    I am trying to setup a file selection dialog to behave properly on VMS.

    I've found the names of the DirList and ItemsList widgets that control
    the XmScrolledList widgets for the directory and the file list respectively.

    However, since I do not know the architectuire of the whole widget, I am
    not sure how I can specify their placement relative to each other.

    For instance, on VMS, the dialoig is fully resized whenever you go from
    one directory to another and this is VERY annoying. I've tried to set
    the XmNresizePolicy to XM_RESIZE_GROW, but the dialog still shrinks when
    I get to a directory when file namessubdirectory names are smaller.

    Is there a way to traverse the full tree of widgets and find not only
    their names but also their type ? (for instance, are the widgets created
    under an XmForm to allow relative placement to each other and if not,
    how are they placed ?

    Is there some tool you can run, click on a widget and it then dumps a
    full architectuire of the widget from father all the way down to the
    grand grand gran grand children ?

  2. Re: Architecture of a widget ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > I am trying to setup a file selection dialog to behave properly on

    VMS.
    ---8<---
    > For instance, on VMS, the dialoig is fully resized whenever you go

    from
    > one directory to another and this is VERY annoying. I've tried to set
    > the XmNresizePolicy to XM_RESIZE_GROW, but the dialog still shrinks

    when
    > I get to a directory when file namessubdirectory names are smaller.

    This bahavior is an old and well know problem with Motif. I don't know
    good solution except perhaps to replace the file selection widget by a
    newer one.

    > Is there a way to traverse the full tree of widgets and find not only
    > their names but also their type ? (for instance, are the widgets

    created
    > under an XmForm to allow relative placement to each other and if not,
    > how are they placed ?

    You can use editres to watch the wdget tree:

    http://www.rahul.net/kenton/editres.html

    --Casantos

  3. Re: Architecture of a widget ?

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    > You can use editres to watch the wdget tree:
    >
    > http://www.rahul.net/kenton/editres.html

    Many thanks. Mr lee,s web site sure contains a mountain of information.
    I'll have to check to see whether the VMS version supports editres.

  4. Re: Architecture of a widget ?

    Just give it a fixed size, and it should obey that. I've had this in my
    ..Xdefaults for a long time:

    *XmFileSelectionBox.resizePolicy: XmRESIZE_NONE
    *XmFileSelectionBox.width: 500
    *XmFileSelectionBox.height: 500

+ Reply to Thread