Pb with cygwin on xp: wrong path - Motif

This is a discussion on Pb with cygwin on xp: wrong path - Motif ; Hello, I meet a problem when installing (from a copy on my hard disk) a tools chain on a new 'XP home' windows plateform (not yet recorded at microsoft, but it may not be the problem) The problem when installing ...

  1. Pb with cygwin on xp: wrong path

    Hello,

    I meet a problem when installing (from a copy on my hard disk) a tools
    chain on a new 'XP home' windows
    plateform (not yet recorded at microsoft, but it may not be the
    problem)

    The problem when installing Cygwin is that the installation wizard
    crashes (with
    a message 'windows met a problem and must close....').

    he i install it with the instalation wizard, I get the message:
    "Unable to execute file:
    C:\/Documents_and_settings\ARMoid/cygwin/setup.exe"
    CreateProcess failed; code 3."

    It seems there is a problem due to separators in the path ('\' instead
    of '/')

    I meet this problem either if I install only cygwin or if I use the
    setup tool.
    In this case, for each of the tools, I get the same eror message:
    "Unable to execute file:
    C:\/gnuarm/bu-2.15.....

    CreateProcess failed; code 3.
    Something like "Impossible to find the specified access path")
    (english translation!)
    With the same problem in writing the path ("C:\/..../...")
    The separator '/' is printed after the path to the folder I specified
    to install
    the soft (it changes in the part of the path given by the installation
    tool)

    I couldn't determine if the path writing problem is a cause or a
    consequence of
    'cygwin' installation problem.

    I tried to install it from internet, but I have the same problem.
    I have already installed it on my laptop, with no problem
    Has anybody an idea?

    Thanks,

    Jerome.

  2. Re: Pb with cygwin on xp: wrong path

    Cygwin is NOT an Microsoft product and seems to be a "linux" emulator for
    Secure Shell (SSh). You have a better chance of getting support with
    Cygwin.

    "jerome" wrote in message
    news:a80b6b4f.0502140434.328b6093@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I meet a problem when installing (from a copy on my hard disk) a tools
    > chain on a new 'XP home' windows
    > plateform (not yet recorded at microsoft, but it may not be the
    > problem)
    >
    > The problem when installing Cygwin is that the installation wizard
    > crashes (with
    > a message 'windows met a problem and must close....').
    >
    > he i install it with the instalation wizard, I get the message:
    > "Unable to execute file:
    > C:\/Documents_and_settings\ARMoid/cygwin/setup.exe"
    > CreateProcess failed; code 3."
    >
    > It seems there is a problem due to separators in the path ('\' instead
    > of '/')
    >
    > I meet this problem either if I install only cygwin or if I use the
    > setup tool.
    > In this case, for each of the tools, I get the same eror message:
    > "Unable to execute file:
    > C:\/gnuarm/bu-2.15.....
    >
    > CreateProcess failed; code 3.
    > Something like "Impossible to find the specified access path")
    > (english translation!)
    > With the same problem in writing the path ("C:\/..../...")
    > The separator '/' is printed after the path to the folder I specified
    > to install
    > the soft (it changes in the part of the path given by the installation
    > tool)
    >
    > I couldn't determine if the path writing problem is a cause or a
    > consequence of
    > 'cygwin' installation problem.
    >
    > I tried to install it from internet, but I have the same problem.
    > I have already installed it on my laptop, with no problem
    > Has anybody an idea?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jerome.

  3. No, it is not only with Cygwin.......

    thanks for your reply, but it happens not only with cygwin: I could
    (at last!) installed Cygwin by downloading from the web site, but
    installaiton of other tools failed, with the same mistake.

    I simply can't understand.

    Did someone already had wrong path like that under xp home? In which
    condition?

    thanks,

    Jerome.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote in message news:<#ZwAB5pEFHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Cygwin is NOT an Microsoft product and seems to be a "linux" emulator for
    > Secure Shell (SSh). You have a better chance of getting support with
    > Cygwin.
    >

    > "jerome" wrote in message
    > news:a80b6b4f.0502140434.328b6093@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I meet a problem when installing (from a copy on my hard disk) a tools
    > > chain on a new 'XP home' windows
    > > plateform (not yet recorded at microsoft, but it may not be the
    > > problem)
    > >
    > > The problem when installing Cygwin is that the installation wizard
    > > crashes (with
    > > a message 'windows met a problem and must close....').
    > >
    > > he i install it with the instalation wizard, I get the message:
    > > "Unable to execute file:
    > > C:\/Documents_and_settings\ARMoid/cygwin/setup.exe"
    > > CreateProcess failed; code 3."
    > >
    > > It seems there is a problem due to separators in the path ('\' instead
    > > of '/')
    > >
    > > I meet this problem either if I install only cygwin or if I use the
    > > setup tool.
    > > In this case, for each of the tools, I get the same eror message:
    > > "Unable to execute file:
    > > C:\/gnuarm/bu-2.15.....
    > >
    > > CreateProcess failed; code 3.
    > > Something like "Impossible to find the specified access path")
    > > (english translation!)
    > > With the same problem in writing the path ("C:\/..../...")
    > > The separator '/' is printed after the path to the folder I specified
    > > to install
    > > the soft (it changes in the part of the path given by the installation
    > > tool)
    > >
    > > I couldn't determine if the path writing problem is a cause or a
    > > consequence of
    > > 'cygwin' installation problem.
    > >
    > > I tried to install it from internet, but I have the same problem.
    > > I have already installed it on my laptop, with no problem
    > > Has anybody an idea?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jerome.

+ Reply to Thread