compiling vdx, anybody? - Motif

This is a discussion on compiling vdx, anybody? - Motif ; Hi, I downloaded the source for vdx, a GPL Motif GUI builder, from www.laessig-it.de/opensource.html but had no success compiling it. There is a binary version of vdx 1.2.1 for linux so I am able to run the program, but I ...

  1. compiling vdx, anybody?

    Hi,
    I downloaded the source for vdx, a GPL Motif GUI builder, from
    www.laessig-it.de/opensource.html but had no success compiling it. There is
    a binary version of vdx 1.2.1 for linux so I am able to run the program,
    but I wanted to see if I could compile vs OM-2.2.3 on debian sid (as of
    2005-02-13).

    There are several warnings that indicate that the gcc compiler must have
    become more strict, or that Dirk Laessig used a different compiler when he
    built his binary.

    I have not been able to find very much information on the net about vdx
    since it became open source.

    Anybody compiled vdx here?

    Kind regards,
    --
    Svenn Bjerkem

  2. Re: compiling vdx, anybody?

    I tried to use it a long time ago, but the building
    process was a lot painful. As far as I know VDX is not
    being maintained anymore, but if you have some
    free time available you may try to fix the broken
    makefiles and update the code to comply with ANSI
    syntax.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: compiling vdx, anybody?

    Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I downloaded the source for vdx, a GPL Motif GUI builder, from
    > www.laessig-it.de/opensource.html but had no success compiling it. There is
    > a binary version of vdx 1.2.1 for linux so I am able to run the program,
    > but I wanted to see if I could compile vs OM-2.2.3 on debian sid (as of
    > 2005-02-13).
    >
    > There are several warnings that indicate that the gcc compiler must have
    > become more strict, or that Dirk Laessig used a different compiler when he
    > built his binary.
    >
    > I have not been able to find very much information on the net about vdx
    > since it became open source.
    >
    > Anybody compiled vdx here?
    >
    > Kind regards,

    Interesting, the last time vdx came up in this NG was many years ago.

    I tried it then, and again just now with a fresh download. Time has
    not been kind to that codebase. It would take a lot of work to build
    it with any recent compiler.

    Too bad; Xfe is a fantastic Motif add-on. It's a shame no one uses it
    for anything...

  4. Re: compiling vdx, anybody?

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    > I tried to use it a long time ago, but the building
    > process was a lot painful. As far as I know VDX is not
    > being maintained anymore, but if you have some
    > free time available you may try to fix the broken
    > makefiles and update the code to comply with ANSI
    > syntax.

    I do not have enough ressources as developer to start on such a task. I have
    been looking at OpenMotif as GUI for quick-and-dirty tools that I write. As
    I do not have much time to do layout on paper and transfer that to code I
    was looking for an open source tool to help me keep the GUIs right.

    I do cross development Linux/Sun and a binary Solaris version was not
    available for vdx. My main job is not programming so I cannot justify
    buying software development tools. Pity.
    --
    Svenn Bjerkem

  5. Re: compiling vdx, anybody?

    Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:
    > nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    >

    >>I tried to use it a long time ago, but the building
    >>process was a lot painful. As far as I know VDX is not
    >>being maintained anymore, but if you have some
    >>free time available you may try to fix the broken
    >>makefiles and update the code to comply with ANSI
    >>syntax.
    >>

    > I do not have enough ressources as developer to start on such a task. I have
    > been looking at OpenMotif as GUI for quick-and-dirty tools that I write. As
    > I do not have much time to do layout on paper and transfer that to code I
    > was looking for an open source tool to help me keep the GUIs right.
    >
    > I do cross development Linux/Sun and a binary Solaris version was not
    > available for vdx. My main job is not programming so I cannot justify
    > buying software development tools. Pity.

    It might not be that hard to get it to compile using the gnu build
    system; autoscan, autoconf, autoheader, automake, etc.

    You'd probably have to pass in a lot of permissive flags to the
    compiler, but there's an outside chance it might work without having
    to edit the c syntax...

  6. Re: compiling vdx, anybody?

    Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:

    > Anybody compiled vdx here?

    I compiled vdx several years ago on a HP-UX 11.00 system with gcc 3.2.
    It is an C++ application. Some warnings were about multi line strings
    literals and had to fix some bugs in the source to compile it.

+ Reply to Thread