How do to folder "tabs" in Motif ? - Motif

This is a discussion on How do to folder "tabs" in Motif ? - Motif ; Many programs these days have "tabs" that look like the label you put atop an old fashioned paper folder, and when you click on it, it displays below it whatever input panel corresponds to this tab. (This is very common ...

  1. How do to folder "tabs" in Motif ?

    Many programs these days have "tabs" that look like the label you put
    atop an old fashioned paper folder, and when you click on it, it
    displays below it whatever input panel corresponds to this tab.

    (This is very common in the MS windows world for
    preferences/configuration dialogs).

    The Xjoin DHCP configuration program on VMS simulates such TABs. The
    actual tab appear to be like a button. However, when you press it, the
    lower decorations disapear, making the button appear to become
    part/connected to the lower panel.

    How is that accomplished ?

    Is it a question of XtManaging some small frame the exact length of the
    inside the button and placing it directly above the bottom's lower
    decorations ?

    Or os it possible to unmanage/manage a botton's specific decorations on
    one side only ?

    Does Motif/X have the concept of layers of widgets with widgets obscured
    by widgets realised above them ? (I haven't seen this in any doc so far).

  2. Re: How do to folder "tabs" in Motif ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Many programs these days have "tabs" that look like the label you put
    > atop an old fashioned paper folder, and when you click on it, it
    > displays below it whatever input panel corresponds to this tab.

    > Does Motif/X have the concept of layers of widgets with widgets obscured
    > by widgets realised above them ? (I haven't seen this in any doc so far).

    Since motif 2.0:
    man XmNotebook
    or use third party widget TabBook
    http://halibut.compgen.com/widgets/
    or use Microline widgets which also have Tab widget
    among other goodies
    http://www.ist-inc.com/xd/userwidgets.html

    Best regards,

    Dusan Peterc