Motif is on top of Xt - Motif

This is a discussion on Motif is on top of Xt - Motif ; Hello!! I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and here they say the following. For example, there are Motif look-and-feel widget on top of the Xt, InterViews and Amulet intrinsics. Although they look and operate the same(so ...

  1. Motif is on top of Xt

    Hello!!

    I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and
    here they say the following. For example, there are Motif look-and-feel
    widget on top of the Xt, InterViews and Amulet intrinsics. Although they
    look and operate the same(so would be indistinguishable to the end user),
    they are implemented quite differently, and have completely different
    procedural interfaces for the programmer.

    Here is one thing that sound strange to me and that is if you use Motif on
    top of Xt or InterView the procedural interface should not be different as I
    think.

    //Tony

  2. Re: Motif is on top of Xt

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > Hello!!
    >
    > I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and
    > here they say the following. For example, there are Motif look-and-feel
    > widget on top of the Xt, InterViews and Amulet intrinsics. Although they
    > look and operate the same(so would be indistinguishable to the end user),
    > they are implemented quite differently, and have completely different
    > procedural interfaces for the programmer.
    >
    > Here is one thing that sound strange to me and that is if you use Motif on
    > top of Xt or InterView the procedural interface should not be different as I
    > think.
    >
    > //Tony

    As you wrote yourself, the *look and feel* is Motif. Part of the API is
    dictated by the underlying intrinsics. But you're right, the widgets
    should not be called Motif if the API is not Xt. At best, Motif-like.

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

+ Reply to Thread